The Jeep Expeditions Home Built Trailer

I really like the Diamond Deluxe aluminum box. I sent them all of my write ups so far and even PDF copies of the magazine and told them they were free to use any of it on their website or advertising but I don't think that they've done anything yet. Maybe business is that good that they don't need to do any more than one here or one there.

The XJ Jack is here: http://www.arkportablepower.com/pages/xo-trailer-jack The price is $249 and they have free shipping right now. I like it, would not replace it with anything out there and I've seen and played with them all over the past few years.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying it. Keep watch for the final part, Part #3 in February. I'll have the levitating roof rack and RTT mounted on it and a few more surprises :)

rnArmy

Adventurer
I too sent them pictures of my trailer tub and told them they could use it however they wanted and never got a response either. Like you said; maybe business is good doing their other stuff.

How much is the ARK Heavy Duty Off-Road XO Coupler thingy you used on your trailer? Does it work on a 2" ball?

The coupler is about the same $ as the jack. It takes a 50mm ball which they provide. They will start importing them early in 2016. They got some kind of approval last year to sell them here and when I talked to them at the AAPEX/SEMA show last month they said they had another container on the way to the USA with couplers and more jacks (they are selling the jacks like crazy they told me).

I've played with the typical articulating couplers we can buy here and this one is so much easier to hitch up. The only thing easier is a pintle hitch but they are so dang noisy with all the banging they do when you slow down and speed up. The only disadvantage, I can't figure a way to put a lock on it. My tongue set up on the trailer is one that the coupler is mounted to 2" hitch stock and slides into a 2" receiver stock that runs the length of the trailer. So it is easily removed and stored in the trailer or I just drilled another hole in the coupler 2" hitch stock from top to bottom so I can just turn the coupler on its side, insert the locking pin and with it sideways, there is no way the trailer be hitched up and stolen. Also the 50mm ball is very close in size to the 2" ball.

My locking hitch pin is the BOLT lock that programs to your Jeep key as are the other locks on my Jeep and now trailer. Very cool product.

Again, I wouldn't trade it in for any of the other articulating hitches like the Lock-n-Roll and the Max Coupler.

GoingLight

Started on my trailer build project

I have begun work on my trailer build project - after the jeep expedition.org model. I was intending to mostly bolt it together, but since I am building in the shop at work, my coworker has kindly offered to do some welding for me.image.jpg

Last edited:

GoingLight

I don't want to hijack this thread. Just wanted to share a little of my build, since I am generally following the prototype of jeep expeditions build.... Let me know if I'm not thinking correctly on this.

I went with 2x2 square tubing for my tongue/trailer backbone. Just got it welded in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad