The Obligitory Planning and Eventual Build Thread

JeepinJensen

Excellent input folks, thank you.

As for track width and how I landed on those numbers, this is all shooting from the hip at this point. I'm just trying to get a good layout (rough shape wise), before I hammer out all the specifics as far as width and what not.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yes; 59" wide for your trailer frame is very wide. Extremely wide.

Check out this post and the next one: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...d-up-thread-1180456/index29.html#post14977300 It'll help you determine your needed axle width (Hub Face-to-HF).

Like you, I've got a TJ on 33" tires with aftermarket rims (about 4.25" backspacing) - don't know if you're running stock or aftermarket rims. To run this same tire/rim combo I've got on even a 40" wide trailer (what I've got) I would need an axle hubface-to-hubface of 55 - 56". To run this same tire/wheel combo on a 59" wide trailer I would need an axle 74 - 75" wide. And that's just the axle HF-to-HF width; it doesn't include how much the tires stick out from there.

If anything, you want your trailer's track width slightly narrower than your tow vehicle's track width. Especially if you'll be taking it off road. From the link above you could take your current wheels and tires (if that's what you plan on using for your trailer) and do the reverse math and figure out how wide a trailer box you could go and have the trailer's tracking width match your Jeep's tracking width.

Check out these pictures of my Jeep and trailer (before I put the diamond plate tub on the frame). These are with a 51.25" wide HF-to-HF axle and 205/75/15" tires. It'll give you a little perspective on trailer tracking width vs. tow vehicle tracking width. I'm much less likely to hit stuff like trees and rocks off-road with the trailer's tracking width being a little narrower than the Jeep's.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...d-up-thread-1180456/index26.html#post14711818

Last edited:

JeepinJensen

Here is yet another revision (minus axle and tires). I think this is a bit more realistic size wise for what I'll be needing it to do. Thanks again for all the assistance. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to start collecting the steel tubing needed to begin this project.

frame v3.jpg

achuto

Observer
I see you're in Camp Pendleton. I live close by in Vista and have built a trailer to tow behind my TJ/LJ. My trailer frame is 48" wide and matches the jeep very close, anything with more width won't match. You're welcome to come by and take a look, I can give you info on where to buy your steel and show you how I did mine. I think you're over engineering it.

Steve

JeepinJensen

I see you're in Camp Pendleton. I live close by in Vista and have built a trailer to tow behind my TJ/LJ. My trailer frame is 48" wide and matches the jeep very close, anything with more width won't match. You're welcome to come by and take a look, I can give you info on where to buy your steel and show you how I did mine. I think you're over engineering it.

Steve

Definitely going to have to take you up on that offer.

Little off topic, but the Jeep group that I usually run with is have a show n shine/meet n greet at the 4 Wheel Parts in San Marcos tomorrow (March 14) around 11AM, you should swing by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online