The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

Cody1771

Explorer
any hobbie that revolves around the latest gadgetry, modifications, vehicles, or anything equipment based premotes one-upping, why else would we post build threads? just hopeing you will get that coveted "thats the coolest thing ive ever seen". but its all in good fun and what makes this hobbie so intresting, its a habit that premotes getting out there and doing cool things.

suntinez

Explorer
I have a suggestion for navigating the maze at OVX.

With the venue getting so large if there could be strategically placed signs of what events are taking place where, that would help. Also at each of the gathering spots, the schedule of events for that spot.

We spent quite a while hunting for the Land Rover rollover demonstration and wouldn’t have found it unless someone texted me. “Demo area” wasn’t enough of a clue to identify the location.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Very well said indeed, Sandy and Terry. Having young people such as Jack there is one of the main reasons the Expo is so worth the effort.

BertCaldwell

"one-upping"?

any hobbie that revolves around the latest gadgetry, modifications, vehicles, or anything equipment based premotes one-upping, why else would we post build threads? just hopeing you will get that coveted "thats the coolest thing ive ever seen". but its all in good fun and what makes this hobbie so intresting, its a habit that premotes getting out there and doing cool things.

Perhaps it could simply be to help out another who is trying to do a similar project or possibly just to promote new ideas and ways of doing things.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I just found this thread, sorry I missed it for so long. This was my first Expo and truly enjoyed meeting all the people, looking at all the incredible units for overlanding. Truly enjoyed taking the trailer on the driving course, just wished I had know it was legal to do so during the event. I did not sign up for classes as I was the only one attending for Aspen Trails.

Thanks Roseann for a fantastic weekend, and Ace for showing me the ropes. A real pleasure meeting Mike from Magollina and Randy from Oztents. And what a great time talking with Chris Cole from Kampa, sharing our feelings, was quite enjoyable and relieving in many ways, you know what I mean Crhis.

Great fun, a pretty nice weekend other than the wind on Friday.

Looking forward to next year!!!!

Great stuff!!! A lot of it was like re-living the Expo with the eclipse and all. Good times!

I'm also posting day-by-day coverage of our 9-day road trip to and from Overland Expo via the Mojave Road on my blog at http://broadsword.com/wordpress/... The first day's post and photo gallery are up and I hope to add a new post & gallery every other day or so.

nwoods

Expedition Leader

Kristain, I really enjoyed your article and photos! Looks like a fantastic trip, and I think this photo is hilarious!

07b0c0c1.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Great event. I was blown away by the scale, lots of interesting people and things to look at.

A few of the highlights for me were:
-The land rover obstacle course, it was fun to go though it in my 4runner and a new LR4. I found the LR people to be outstanding, very friendly and eager to share information. They were great brand liaisons.
-mrs. Hackneys presentation on organization was particularly well presented.
- mr. Hanson's one box tool kit was very well thought out
- the jeep round table was enjoyable and interesting, I've never been apart of dialogue with a auto manufacturer, so that was cool
- i didn't buy anything but I liked seeing everything in person. The vendor booths were impressive and well done.

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
This was my first Expo and won’t be the last! Roseann Hanson and her team did an outstanding job setting up this venue. Perfect location too! It was really fun to meet new friends, fellow board members as well as mingle with the vendors. The classes and breakout sessions were very informative. Ah, and meeting those that are celebrities in our world was really cool (Ara & Spirit, Gary and Monika Westcott, etc.).

A few of my favorite dream rigs
7239163394_d93dff9eea_c.jpg

7239086740_c3f082dd0c_c.jpg

7239028464_19a28326ab_c.jpg

Thanks to Equipt for the great time Saturday night!
7239294080_97e2274f48_c.jpg

7239297466_fec783c82c_c.jpg

The rollover recovery demo was very informative
7239268678_e8a1f9b235_c.jpg

After the expo we ventured towards Page for a night then onto Zion and Toroweep before migrating home. Page delivered a perfect Ring of Fire show. Come to find out, people traveled from all over the world to watch the eclipse in Page. Our hotel was stuffed with star gazers.
7239369790_7b2207f2c7_c.jpg

7239377032_f9fc3bd53e_c.jpg

shogun

Adventurer
Very well said indeed, Sandy and Terry. Having young people such as Jack there is one of the main reasons the Expo is so worth the effort.

And so I will take this entree' opportunity to mention the subject of children and expo;

My children were pretty excited about the Rover Diva classes listed on the website. They like some of the cool stuff going on, but this was geared just for them.

Cooking class? Nope, cancelled, no substitute.

The scavenger hunt was cool, so they did that. This was a "passport" that listed several exhibitors and a simple question about their product. Each participating vendor was given a stamp and pad, and agreed to help the kids earn the stamp, and usually provided a sticker or trinket also. If they got all the stamps they would win a simple prize packet.

Now, I know this is a very sensitive subject, but the marketing potential on this seemingly innocuous event was subtle. While the kids are collecting stamps, guess who is also along for the ride, and available for introduction to product/services? Parents. This is a good deal all around, win-win. If only it were better supported by the show.

I really would like to thank all of the vendors that elected to participate. Your time and willingness to help the children was superb and I am impressed. Not many business people are so gracious with their time for children, truly a special group.

While I am doing the kudos thing, Paul; a class act, thanks.

shogun

Adventurer
Hit the send before I finished;

Rover Divas; another great idea/group. Thanks for the work. Folks, this is a private group operating with very little outside support. Sometimes you come across something that just makes you shake your head and wonder why they do it. Because they care and want to have fun. Hopefully they will garner a little more official support in the future.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
As a vender that participated in the Rover Divas scavenger hunt, we thought it was an overwhelming success. This was a first time effort for the Divas and they did a great job getting the attending children involved. What a fun way for the participating parents to involve their kids in the Expo experience. Next year we will be better prepared and we will have our own stamp!!

I have to commend Roseann and Jonathon the Expo organizers for allowing the Rover Divas the latitude to run with their idea. The scavenger hunt was organized by the girls and their parents and they pull it off with flying colors.

I can’t wait for next year! The scavenger hunt was a nice diversion during the Expo and a reminder not to take the whole event too seriously, in other words, don’t forget to have fun too!!

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The scavenger hunt was a nice diversion during the Expo and a reminder not to take the whole event too seriously, in other words, don't forget to have fun too!!

FWIW, I was event director for the largest Subaru Festival in the US for 5 years. Post attendance surveys consistently showed the scavenger hunt and the raffle prize give-a-way were two most popular elements of the 2,500 attendee event. The last year I ran it, we had made the scavenger hunt team based with a 500 cash prize for first place, many of the team tasks were vendor based. The team approach was a huge hit.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven