THE OSHKOSH M 1070 (!)

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
LMTV = 55mph top speed. :( You can re-gear them for more with parts from a scrapped MRAP, but it's fairly expensive. :(

$800 for 2 surplus axles and you only need to swap the punkins. I wish it was that cheap to regear my freightliner.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Ha that photo is from NATC :)

I worked as the on-site engineer for Oshkosh when the MTVR was in it's summer of durability testing at NATC. Got to do some riding, as well as driving during my time with Oshkosh. Those are great trucks!! I don't think you'll see them come out as surplus, but I said the same about HEMTT's, and now you can buy one of those... Time will tell!! I can say that there's a lot of electronics in a modern military truck, so the older ones are better for simple guys like me. :)

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Those LMTV's really have my interest- I didn't realize the payload was as low as it is. Otherwise much nicer size than the M9XX.
If you're going to spend that kind of coin for an HET, you better have some serous work to do.

Actually, the payload is higher than you think. The military divides the on-road payload capacity in half to define the off-road capacity, which is what they are rated at. Essentially, the M 1078 2 1/2 ton can actually haul 5 tons. Due to the softish suspension and natural ineptitude of the average GI, the payload is dropped.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
This is the vehicle used to transport the Abrams tank, and other extremely large and heavy things. Quite a few for sale on E-BAY these days; 500 HP 8V92, 8X8, Allison automatic, massive winch, etc etc.

They're being advertised for about 10 cents on the dollar. Very cool if you like really big vehicles.

So -- who here has one? Experiences?

One of those tank-toters showed up at a local county fair a few years back and the fair staff asked them if they wanted to enter in the truck pull competition and they accepted. They let all the souped up semis run first to determine who would actually win the prize money. When that was all determined they hooked up to the sled and pulled the whole thing all the way around the track. To add insult to injury they hooked up to the sled with the winner of the pull hooked up the opposite direction, and pulled that whole mess down the track.

I talked to them after and they said they had asked to enter for real the year before and somebody at the fair thought it would be a good idea, till they made everybody else look foolish and walked away with the prize. Apparently they wised up and only them them run as an exhibition the year I was there.

pmoyle

I worked as the on-site engineer for Oshkosh when the MTVR was in it's summer of durability testing at NATC. Got to do some riding, as well as driving during my time with Oshkosh. Those are great trucks!! I don't think you'll see them come out as surplus, but I said the same about HEMTT's, and now you can buy one of those... Time will tell!! I can say that there's a lot of electronics in a modern military truck, so the older ones are better for simple guys like me. :)

I have only seen one Oshkosh MTVR out in private hands, and it was a wreck that needed tons of parts. For the price of the parts you could probably buy a fleet of older trucks.
I spent 8 years in the Army and 3 in the Navy driving all kinds of vehicles, now I own an M35A2 and a M923A2. Out of all the vehicles I have driven my favorite all around truck is the M939 series of 5 tons. I liked the FMTV but still preferred to drive the older trucks. I bought My M923A2 because it has good on road manners and does everything I need off road. They are old enough to still be simple to work on and parts are readily available, many at my local truck shop. With a few cheap tweaks you can drive on any road and not worry about being the giant slow truck blocking the road. Now accelerating into freeway traffic and pulling hills is no problem. My truck has an air ride seat and it is way more comfortable than my 2004 Dodge 3500. I still need a few more things for my truck but bills come first so it is slow going. Buying these trucks is an addictive hobby,no matter what surplus truck you get you will be hooked and wanting to buy more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven