The search begins.....

89s rule

Adventurer
I test drove and looked at a '98 E250 EB last night. 5.4, 180K miles, 15 pass with higher roof and wheelchair lift in the rear. Lady owned the last 10 years and 80K miles. I felt that it had plenty of power, although not built out inside it does have a wheelchair lift and cargo barrier installed, both of which I would remove and sell / donate. Lady is older but seems very honest. $3K is her bottom dollar and she is not open to offers.
Here are a few observations and questions:
Driving it around 15-20 min (10 or so miles from stop and go up to 55 ish. I couldn't get up to more speed b/c of traffic.) was fine, my wife was unable to drive because we brought the kids along, but overall I felt like a van "fit" fine.
- Needs some consmetics, topper clear coat is flaking and looks like a few cracks/spiderwebbing in the fiberglass top at 2 points near the top from a limb or?? Side rubber strip around the top to cover the screw holes is missing/damaged in a few areas. Some windows do not open in the rear? Second barn door did not have a way to open it. Can you adapt the rearmost windows to open or buy window that would open?
- No major rust, which is one issue I have run into in my price range. Only rust is in rear above where back doors were extended, it is surface and shoudl not be a problem to repair and reseal/caulk around bottom edges.
- Trans pan looked wet, I think its just a pan gasket. I will post pics this evening.
- Random tapping noise when sitting still, definately came from the front, almost like something was bumping. Really not sure as this was really the only "noise" while test driving.
- Brakes had a good bit of play and when pumped could almost hear them pump up but not really any more pedal when done. I would say 4"? or so of play before they really grab. I havent driven a full sized van in maybe 3 or 4 years and even then they were newer rentals.
- Buzzer for the door stayed on when door was open and key was out of ignition. Is this normal? It quit buzzing at one point when I moved the ignition switch around, but not sure if this was a timing thing or what??
- Engine temp stayed low, oil pressure guage on dash stayed at ~ 3/4.
- Good bit of paperwork for repairs. This showed me a few things.
----It has not been driven much over the last 2 years, maybe 800 miles?
----New radiator ~ 15K miles ago (4 yrs?) , upper and lower BJ ~10K miles ago (3 yrs?), AC compressor maybe compressors can't remember replaced a few years back. Front and rear AC and heat seemed to work well with no wierd smells.
---- She has had a electrical drain issue and mechanic seemed to fix it a few years back report said it was dome light/door sensor related?? There were two wires hanging under the dash that were taped together. I am wondering if this is the issue of the iginition switch? She recently replaced the battery and mentioned having to get AAA to jump it off a few times. (Which if it has not been driven but cranked some that might have killed a battery anyway?)

Van does not have a tilt wheel, I believe it is a XL model. I totally forgot to check on Cruise control, I do not think the van has it and I asked her before and she could not remember. If it do add CC how much am I looking at, every thread I find on retrofitting OEM CC doesnt lead me to any companies that are open or offering such now. Could this all be fixed by swapping to a tilt wheel?

I am reminded that I cannot expect anything to be perfect at $4K or less. I do not want to get into an issue where I am way upside down on a vehicle. Again to each his on on this, but I would say I am outside the norm on Expo and have been able to break even or close to it on the last 5 or 6 vehicles I have owned over the last 8 yrs or so after driving them 20-40K miles.

What costs does it sound like I am looking at for CC, Brakes, or any other things that might have stood out to you?

89s rule

Adventurer
Considered a Sprinter van? Most are going to be above the budget but fuel saving might might help offset that. They have been around long enough for a good number of them to have show up on the used market at reasonable prices.

I have not seem a sprinter in decent condition for $5K or less. The few I have seen that had lower miles were rusted or beat up, high miles are average. I honestly prefer the look of the Econoline although we have friends who have a Sprinter passenger van for thier DD. (They have 8 kids and another on the way.)

derjack

Adventurer
I have not seem a sprinter in decent condition for $5K or less. The few I have seen that had lower miles were rusted or beat up, high miles are average. I honestly prefer the look of the Econoline although we have friends who have a Sprinter passenger van for thier DD. (They have 8 kids and another on the way.)

I also prefer the econoline looks, although a sprinter diesel can get you really good millage, if it's a commonrail diesel.

Are you planning any kind of offroad? if so i would not go for a sprinter.

89s rule

Adventurer
I also prefer the econoline looks, although a sprinter diesel can get you really good millage, if it's a commonrail diesel.

Are you planning any kind of offroad? if so i would not go for a sprinter.

No serious Offroad. Maybe a forest service road here or there. Dream of Ujoint kit but know unreality it is probably not going to happen, much like EB 7.3 without rust and ~200k mikes for $4k.

Any input on my other post? I'm not sure who or where to ask some of these questions and get a timely response.

derjack

Adventurer
No serious Offroad. Maybe a forest service road here or there. Dream of Ujoint kit but know unreality it is probably not going to happen, much like EB 7.3 without rust and ~200k mikes for $4k.

Any input on my other post? I'm not sure who or where to ask some of these questions and get a timely response.

Actaully I don´t thing anyone can make anything wrong with a E350 7.3 for 4k. When I think of the needs you said- for sure.

89s rule

Adventurer
Actaully I don´t thing anyone can make anything wrong with a E350 7.3 for 4k. When I think of the needs you said- for sure.

If I could find one I would have bought it. I was saying that is a dream. I asked about my comments on the van I looked at this week.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
My concern with a vehicle that doesn't get driven much over the course of a couple years, is that the fuel system gets varnish build up, and some of the seals can dry up a bit. A 5.4 van sounds like it would work for you as long as you don't overload it, and are realistic about the MPG's it will get. There are tons of great deals out there for 5.4 vans, so if this one gives you more than a few concerns, skip it.

transition

I gotta clean 06 E350 xlt , I use it mostly for daily driving and road trips, its got the 5.4 engine and depending on the traffic on the highway I usually see 14 to 16 mpg. its got the steel rear wheel spacers and a 2 inch lift in the front with a steering stabilizer dampener. I've been driving this van more than my 06 Dodge Power Wagon, gets better mileage and the versatility of hauling friends and keeping the mountain bikes and gear secure in the back... btw, it is for sale as im moving up to a toy hauler next year.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384533235572.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384533235572.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 43

transition

just to clarify, with my 06 E350 eb pass van i get about 14-16 mpg with just me in the van and couple of the rear benches removed and those benchs are pretty heavy. Loaded down with people, gear and mountain bikes I'm probably down to 11 miles per gallon and that's driving the flat roads of Florida. There is a "vans for sale" thread here, its shown on post #146 and # 147.

89s rule

Adventurer
just to clarify, with my 06 E350 eb pass van i get about 14-16 mpg with just me in the van and couple of the rear benches removed and those benchs are pretty heavy. Loaded down with people, gear and mountain bikes I'm probably down to 11 miles per gallon and that's driving the flat roads of Florida. There is a "vans for sale" thread here, its shown on post #146 and # 147.

Thanks for the info.. I found your van but did not see a price either. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/80916-FOUND-Vans-For-Sale!/page15 I am sure that it is out of my price range since it's a '06.

I just spoke with a guy about a '95 EB 7.3 no rust. 320K miles but new trans. Waiting on more pictures, I may run up and look at it this afternoon or in the morning if the pics look promising. My one question about the 92-96 vans is can the dash be swaped? That is my one complaint about those years, just makes the interior look so much newer.

transition

I was looking to get around 9k for it. Maybe check Craigslist in some of the bigger cities in your state. I know down here in South Florida because of the 3 major airports and tourism these 15 passenger vans are all over the place. I can't stop at a traffic light without another 3 or 4 of the same vans pulling up next to me. I know how you feel about the older dashboard, when I look at the new vans I wish I had that dashboard.

89s rule

Adventurer
Well this followed me home today:
From the CL Ad

Once I got home:

Specs:
1995 E350 EB 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel 328K miles reman trans, no rust, some damage from being a work van.
Needs... glow plugs(included in sale), vacuum pump or pulley, AC repaired, and fix some of the doorways. Might go ahead and do injectors and valve cover gaskets when I do the glow plugs.
I get home and my wife says, " It looks like we just killed someone and dumped the body" I told her to appreciate the base, the bones of a build up. She then says, " I think its that I can see the bones." I don't think she is liking the cargo concept. I guess I better find some seats and windows quick. Should be fun. Kids and I washed out the back after we unloaded the "free" window a/c unit, dead mouse and all.
I know it didn't fit all my qualifications, but the price was right and will leave me enough $ to get everything repaired as well as get the interior done in my budget. I'll try to get some pictures of our "clean" interior in the next few days, definitely not spotless, but much better.
Few questions. how level do I need to get the floor where it is dented before I put flooring down? I am going to try to find a conversion van being parted out at LKQ, Craigslist or the like to pull some interior bits, (rear a/c, doghouse with cupholders, trim pieces, etc.) also headlights and doors with windows and door panels.
- Called a guy about some '08+ manual E series van mirrors should have a shipping quote on them Monday. (Didn't mgmetalworks do a mirror swap like this or talk about it? I know he was doing the F series swap, but thought he or someone did the swap to '08+ mirrors too?)
Also why is it making me put something between lines so leave spaces?

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thats a load of miles on a rig that was most likely somebodies work rig.

With that many miles, Id suggest the following services to that 7.3 if you intend to keep it.

*new water pump and all hoses
*new thermostat housing
*New fuel pump and all hoses
*new/reman injectors
*turbocharger and pedestal rebuild/reseal
*fuel bowl rebuild
*inspection of exhaust manifolds and turbo up-pipes/gaskets
*glow plugs, glow plug relay
*take a VERY close look at the glowplug/injector harnesses and valve cover harnesses
*new crank sensor
*new radiator
*new vac. pump
*new 6.0 starter
*new batteries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk