The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Nathanel, another option that could be used in multiple ways without having to hardwire anything would be the Coleman Quad LED Lantern - The small pieces can come off and be used on their own if you need light somewhere else, or if you need multiple lights inside the confines of the camper while cooking or when a lady friend might need one while you're doing something else.

They use 'D' cell batteries, but I'd just use the Sanyo Eneloop 'D' spacers so you'd still be using 'AA' rechargables and can keep within your set-up of recharging batteries while moving in the truck with a small inverter

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
I wish I had thought of having the camper wired for a couple of lights on the ceiling at the very front of the camper. Not sure if the factory would have done this, as I have not seen a FWC with lights up there, but I do not see why not. snip...

Agreed, wish I would have thought of that myself. Might be nice to have a light overhead that one can reach while lying down/reading at the forward end of the camper/bed.

Depending on the size of the light, one negative I can see is less headroom when sitting up, or crawling in/out of bed, the front lifting mechanism is an extreme example of a loss of clearance.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
We sleep with our feet towards the front of the camper, heads toward the camper interior. That way we can use the regular ceiling lights for reading. Cuts down on condensation in the cab-over area and under the mattress too.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
We sleep with our feet towards the front of the camper, heads toward the camper interior. That way we can use the regular ceiling lights for reading. Cuts down on condensation in the cab-over area and under the mattress too.

Interesting. I just naturally climbed in and put my head towards the forward end of the camper. Sleeping with your head towards the door of the camper would mean swinging your legs around once up in the bed, must be why I just kept crawling.

Sleeping the other way also would mean easy access to the vent, and better access to the windows. I might have to rotate!

I wonder what is ''normal''? How many people sleep S-N (head south and feet north) compared to N-S (head north and feet south)?

SLO_F-250

Explorer
W-E for me.

I've been call a lot of things ... but never "normal"

:REExeSwimmingHL:

I'm E-W as well, but I think for the Hawk's and Grandby's you can. The smaller campers like Eagle or Finch you have to sleep the opposite direction.

I never picked up the insulation for my Thanksgiving Camping Trip. No report = Fail! Sorry Overland! :ylsmoke:

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Nathaniel,

I just ordered my Hawk shell from FWC and am busy ordering parts for it...a few questions for ya:

-How does the Telescopic Whale Pump fit with the SMEV sink? Any reason you didn't get version of the faucet that has the on/off on it? Also, how is the Whale foot pump working out? Did you look at the smaller Whale MK2 foot pump at all?

-When you installed your L-track, did you bolt the track all the way through the floor? Or just pre-drill/screw to the floor? You don't happen to know thickness of ply they use do you?

I ordered a Front Dinette Hawk shell, with the heater/cabinet/stove setup w/ Artic pack and battery setup. I want to be able to have it very livable quickly, so I'm only adding a few things, like a simple sink setup, 12v lights and plugs, L-track, etc. This is all going on a Tundra Double Cab and am trying to keep it very light. I'll start a thread as I start getting in parts and can take photos of my truck...

Thanks! :sombrero:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...Any reason you didn't get version of the faucet that has the on/off on it? Also, how is the Whale foot pump working out? Did you look at the smaller Whale MK2 foot pump at all?
snip...

Do you have a link for that Whale faucet with the on/off?

I have a Whale that extends from the sink, but needs an on/off [which I'm likely going to add].

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Frosty1,

I can get some Whale info and links for you, depending on how the day goes, this evening or tomorrow. The reason I do not have an onn/off faucet is that I do not have a pressure tank, so I do not need it. The L track is bolted through the floor, I would definitely through bolt as I worry about screws pulling out of the lightweight material under constant load/stress.

Redline,

What Whale faucet do you have? If you are replacing it I might be interested in it.

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Frosty1,

I can get some Whale info and links for you, depending on how the day goes, this evening or tomorrow. The reason I do not have an onn/off faucet is that I do not have a pressure tank, so I do not need it. The L track is bolted through the floor, I would definitely through bolt as I worry about screws pulling out of the lightweight material under constant load/stress.

Hey Nathaniel,

Don't worry about the links...I think I know exactly what your setup is...I'm just wondering how the fit of the faucet is combined with the SMEV unit?

Also, I figured I should bolt them...any issues with the nuts sticking out the bottom of the camper?

Frosty

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nathaniel,

I just ordered my Hawk shell from FWC and am busy ordering parts for it...a few questions for ya:

Thanks! :sombrero:

First off congratulation on ordering a new FWC! They are great little campers.

Here are a few answers, let me know if there is more that I should elaborate on.

The L track is bolted through the floor to T nuts, so they are flush on the bottom of the camper. What length of bolts you will need will depend on your floor and where you are bolting.

The Whale faucet fit nicely inside my SMEV sink. Here is a photo. Let me know if you want more info.
img1521nn.jpg

I chose the Whale pump because I am familiar with it. I have not used their other models of foot pump, but given Whale quality I am sure they are good.

Let me know if there is more I can help with. I look forward to your build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues