The Timbren Challenge

Robert I

Timbren appears to be a good trailer suspension system but I've spoken to a few owners, repair shops and Timbren dealers in Ontario Canada, who would like to find a place to get professional alignment done. There are several accounts published online of extreme tire wear when Timbren axle-less suspension is not properly aligned. This is not a service normally done by a traditional wheel alignment shop. This is not something you will find easily with a Google search.

Canadian Tire, one of Canada's largest retailers, sells Timbren axle-less suspension but a typical Canadian Tire automotive service department can't align them or tell customers where to get them aligned.

Apparently Timbren has no idea which shops offer alignment but says it is working on a list.

If you can recommend some alignment experts that are familiar with Timbren and you are willing to list their names and locations here you would be helping Timbren owners.

jwiereng

What is the primary concern? Toe-in / toe-out? I imagine clever guy could figure out toe with string line. Might even think about using mig wire instead of rope.

For camber, I am not sure.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Timbren is no different than any other trailer suspension. If it's out of alignment tires are going wear out and sometimes badly!

As with any trailer how good the initial alignment will be is a function of the installation of the mounting brackets for the spring shackles, A arms or whatever mounting system Timbren uses to mount their brackets to the trailer frame.

A good tape measure, a framing square and a few measurements should tell you real quick if the problem is primarily due to improper installation on the trailer frame of the Timbren system or if you just need to set the toe in/out and or camber per the alignment settings and method provided by Timbren. Of course all this assumes the FRAME is straight, square and true to begin with. Check your cross frame measurements to be sure the frame is square.

I suggest you take some quick measurements to find out what is the real alignment problem before you do anything else.

Last edited:

Teardropper

As with any trailer how good the initial alignment will be is a function of the installation of the mounting brackets for the spring shackles, A arms or whatever mounting system Timbren uses to mount their brackets to the trailer frame.

Timbrens bolt on the sides of the chassis frame. They are a two-piece apparatus unlike a traditional spring axle or a torsion axle. They have alignment adjustment, unlike others.

I've got one friend that can't get his Timbrens aligned. And he's a mechanical guy. I've got another friend that had to have his Timbren's re-welded.

Tony

opp1

I believe the going rate right now at shop to remove one of those pet rock axles Once the dust settled and the fad was over, he sold approximately 1.5 million rocks for a gross sales total of about $6 million or about $27 million today. is round $ 450.00 then they're cut up and thrown in the trash too much liability.

ScottReb

Adventurer
They are pretty easy to get aligned, assuming the install is good. Only four bolts to loosen and shims come with the axles, again assuming the manufacturer gave them to the owner. Let me know if you have any questions, we have a couple of sets I could unbox and help.

Robert I

They are pretty easy to get aligned, assuming the install is good. Only four bolts to loosen and shims come with the axles, again assuming the manufacturer gave them to the owner. Let me know if you have any questions, we have a couple of sets I could unbox and help.
Thanks for the offer Scott. You make nice trailers BTW.

co4wheel

Buy some toe plates and a couple tape measure. A level will give you camber. It's really not hard. I literally have my 5 year old daughter hold my toe plates when I do my cars and truck. A google search will tell you how to use toe plates if you don't know how. I find it best to roll 180 degrees for two measurements before you make a change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk