The Time Has Come: My GX build

TexGX

Explorer
Well, it has officially started. I have already added the roof rack, awning and rear storage. It is now time for the fun stuff. After several years fighting the old lady, I have started the major stuff. First is to take the darn running boards off. I have Steve at Sonoran Steel helping me out. It should be about 2 weeks before I have the sliders on, but I think it already looks better. (see below). I also keep the wire harness for the lighted steps. I will add these back on after the steps are on.

I had a great talk with Kyle and Will at Serria Expeditions today and we worked on a few things. It will not be a fast build but it has started. On the list:

1. Sliders
2. Front winch
3. Rear tire carrier
4. Dual Battery
5. Small lift
6. Tires

TexGX

Attachments

• GX Sliders 001.JPG
    GX Sliders 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 841
  • GX Sliders 003.JPG
    GX Sliders 003.JPG
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
looks great without the running boards.
Will look even better with the lift/sliders/tire carrier & roof rack
looking forward to wheeling with you when it is done

Moody

Needs to get out more
I love the looks of the GX lifted and built....anxious to see the finished product.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
I myself am on a slow path to turning my GX into an expo rig as well. Currently many of the mods have all been internal and to increase comfort for long drives (these are much easier to justify to the girlfriend as she benefits from them). Looking to do a color matched ARB and a minimal lift next. Still debating on if I want to do coilovers or OME springs due to the salt and corrosion we get up here.

Looking forward to your build and have subscribed! :coffee:

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Did your GX come without the rear spoiler and the roof rack?

if you have any qualms about cutting the fenders and fender flares of a perfectly good truck, then you don't want an ARB. I like where you you are heading.

284508_2264921105447_1321103381_2688703_2073200_n.jpg

TexGX

Explorer
Pedro,

I am trying to stay away from adding a heavy bumper, but that one looks very nice. I think the guys at Sierra Expeditions have figured a way to add a winch behind my stock bumper. This would be the best of both world, comfort traveling alone and low wieght.

I was playing with it today and put the rack back on. Here is a picture. I am liking the look. When I get the sliders. small lift and tires, this thing should work out nice. I had the alingment done yesterday and notice they had not bolted the skid plate on fully. At the shop, they said it was bent to bad. I told them that it would have been nice to know before driving off yesterday. I got it home and with a little help from a sledge hammer, got it on. I will need to up grade. I am thinking of going with Asfir. It would work with the winch plate that I am looking at.

Guestions: (I will preference this with the fact that my truck has KDSS and I do not want to get rid of it.)

1. The rear lift I am thinking about adding a spacer below my airbags. Yes or No?
I know some have just trick the hieght sensor, but thought this maybe a better way.

2. I am trying to work out a tire carrier for the back. Any suggestions?

TexGX

Attachments

• rack.JPG
    rack.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 711

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Regarding #1 -- haven't hear of anyone doing this on any of the forums I regularly lurk on. Seems the majority of GX owners are tricking the rear ride height sensor. However, there are some that have even swapped to coils (Lexwoody comes to mind).

#2 -- Again, I believe Lexwoody was just finishing up or had just finished doing a rear bumper. I'd check over on Toyota120.com for his build thread. If I come across it I'll come back and share.

Other than that, diggin' the looks with the rack back on it. Also curious to hear more about your custom winch mount in the factory bumper. Please do share details on that if possible. Personally, my only concern with keeping the factory bumper is ground clearance. I was in the woods again yesterday checking trail cams and dropping a couple last ground blinds and I kept dragging that thing in the dirt and hanging up on corn stalks. Granted my truck isn't lifted yet. Either way I'm excited to see what Sierra Expeditions whips up for you.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
make sure you have the bottom of the radiator protected if you plan to off road much. The factory setup consists of a plastic part to cover the bottom of the rad. I went with the Sahara to mount the winch as it was a minimal weight addition compared to a behind the bumper carrier. and the added protection on the nose for all components.

It is my wife's DD and she likes the look and the drive after the OME 885's and airbag adjust.

I will say that if you haven't looked at the "air bag trick" then you really shoud as it is merely an adjustment within the factory range on the tabs. Mine is set with OME 885's in the front with nitrocharger sports all around and the air bag sensor at the top of the adjustment. I run 265-70-17 GoodYear Duratrac's with an E load rating.

If you have any questions that I can answer, please let me know. I will be interested to see what you do for a roof rack as I am not pleased with the utility of the factory unit.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
Pedro-

I appreciate you sharing which OME springs you used...and are happy with. I was about to do coilovers just a couple of months ago after about a year of researching...and then someone reminded me of corrosion issues. After doing a lot of Googling about that I decided that coilovers just aren't practical for me up here in the salt belt. Therefore it started my suspension research all over.

OP-
Definitely something to keep in mind if you ever travel into the states that lay salt in the winter months.

TexGX

Explorer
Jamin GX,

Funny you mentioned Lexwoody. I talked with him this weekend. I was going to buy his frame mounted tire carrier, but it replaces the hitch and I need mine for towing. I am using his build as a guide. I may just start with the tricked airbags and go from there.

Pedro,

Thanks for the tips. I did notice the plastic piece this weekend when I re-installed my skid plates. I think the winch plate will protect this area. I may look into the Asfir bumper as well. We may just play around with it. The OME 885's were metioned in my lift options. We will see.

TexGX

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
Jamin GX,

Funny you mentioned Lexwoody. I talked with him this weekend. I was going to buy his frame mounted tire carrier, but it replaces the hitch and I need my for towing. I am using his build as a guide. I may just start with the tricked airbags and go from there.

Pedro,

Thanks for the tips. I did notice the plastic piece this weekend when I re-installed my skid plates. I think the winch plate will protect this area. I may look into the Asfir bumper as well. We may just play around with it. The OME 885's were metioned in my lift options. We will see. Check out my second picture. I am running a African Outback rack. I like it, but if I had the chance to do it again I would get the FrontRunner.

TexGX

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
It's a small world us GX owners travel in. :sombrero: And if you know about Lexwoody's build and are basing your's off it then you just can't go wrong. I think he made a lot of great mods to his GX and paved the way for us looking to really take the GX to a new level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism

Members online