The Ultimate Road Trip!

DAMAGE_ctrl

Awsome

I have to chime in with what an awsome trip....You were correct on safety first....It's good to be alittle paranoid when on adventures alone...Can't wait for more....:victory:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 13th-16th: Went to Todo Santos in morning on 13th and dropped Cale off in town. Hit the internet up and then had some street fish tacos. I drove to Cabo San Lucas and found the Toyota dealership I needed. Turns out air bags not there yet, there seems to be a little bit of confusion. On the 14th I call Fed-Ex and find out the guard at the dealership refused my package. Get this all cleared up (I think) but it takes nearly 3 days and I don’t have the new air bags yet. Camp between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose at Villa Serena RV Park. Pretty expensive but cheap I guess for the Cabo area. Do laundry and take hot shower for first time since I entered Mexico! Get the oil changed in the Taco. Find a used long board at Costa Azul Surf shop in San Jose and buy it. Stocked up on grocery and beers and found some Zacapa rum at a liquor store. Also found a deserted beach right on the HWY and spent some time there, could do boondock camping here for free but I didn‘t feel like it was very safe. It probably is though and I later saw RVs here for days on end. I did a little fishing here but didn't catch anything. Villa Serena is $21/night per vehicle but has all the stuff you would expect a nice RV park to have, including a noisy HWY next to it and just a big gravel lot with some small trees. It is well kept though and the lady who runs it is nice. There is a restaurant next door.

Cabo_beach2.sized.jpg

Cabo_San_Lucas_beach_pan.sized.jpg

Cabo_beach6.sized.jpg

Cabo_beach3.sized.jpg

Cabo_beach1_pan.sized.jpg

Cabo_beach4.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 16th-17th: Drive from Cabo to Agua Caliente in the afternoon after calling Fed-Ex and finding out for sure when airbags would show up (I think again). Meet some locals in a wash just before the village of El Chorro which is next to the Agua Caliente hot springs. I think these guys are stuck in the wash and need help, turns out they just want to hang out and drink beer. I make the bad decision to have some beers with them and offer up some rum. They were drunk already but are now wasted pretty bad. Friendly and seem harmless but this doesn’t last to long. One leaves and the old guy wants to help me find the camp at the hot springs so I agree to follow him just up the road. He is not driving well but we make it, I have only had 2 beers and a sip of rum myself and am fine. The old guy then tries to piss on my truck at camp and ends up peeing on himself! He then tries to ram my truck with his truck so I leave after his 4-5 attempt! It was to bad because it looked like a nice place to camp and possibly nice hot springs. I didn’t want any problems though and getting him with the bear spray or knocking him out would have caused me problems. He lived in the village right next to where I wanted to camp! So a good lesson learned today, don't get drunk with the locals! I drove to La Ribera on the coast from El Chorro in the dark. I checked out the free camping on the beach in La Ribera but it was very windy and wet from the strong breeze. I go to La Trinidad RV Park down the road and find the restaurant still open. Mike the owner offers me camping here for half price which was $10/night. It is a nice place but off the beach. The beach is however only a 10min walk from the place on a nice trail. There is very nice bathrooms here, concrete slabs for vehicles/campers, a bar/bar, a swimming pool and all the other things RV parks have. Mike lets me drink my own rum at the bar after buying dinner. I stayed here till the morning of the 18th. La Trinidad runs $20/night for RVs or negotiate with Mike to camp for half price! Mike is a nice ex-pat with lots of stories who has been living in Baja for over 20yrs.

Santiago_Baja1.sized.jpg

Santiago_Baja.sized.jpg

El_Chorro_locals_Baja.sized.jpg

El_Chorro_wash_Baja.sized.jpg

Los_Rivira_Baja2.sized.jpg

Los_Rivira_Baja3.sized.jpg

Cabo_camp.sized.jpg

dinner1_Baja.sized.jpg

Los_Rivira_Baja1.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 18th-19th: Back to Cabo and Toyota dealership to find out still no airbags! I call Fed-Ex again and find out they went back to the mainland and nobody I was talking to really knew what was going on up to now! They say at 1pm on the 19th they can confirm exactly what day the airbags will be delivered. So I go for a paddle out around the cape in the morning, very beautiful even though it is tourist Ville! Batteries died in camera so no pictures. After this I make the call on the 19th at 1pm and then head back up to Todo Santos for some nice free camping and surfing while I wait. Stayed night of the 18th at Villa Serena again. Make arrangements at a welding shop in San Jose to cut off one air bag mount and move it back since I don't like how close it is to the shock. They will do this on the morning of the 22nd.

January 19th-22nd: Camped at Cerritos and spent time surfing, laying about, drinking beers and socializing. Finally feeling the surf vibe a bit and getting my feet under me. Not intimidated by the ocean anymore and feeling fairly confident in the water. It was a good few days relaxing here. I played with my camera a bunch trying to get good photos of people surfing, there were some pros here this week. Decided my camera is not really good for action shots from far away!

Cerritos_Baja_pan.sized.jpg

Here is a short video of the sun setting at Cerritos....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RosIPdSZbDE"]YouTube- The Ultimate Road Trip - Cerritos sunset Baja Mexico[/ame]

Cerritos_Baja6.sized.jpg

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 22nd & 23rd: Get up at 6am and drive from Cerritos to San Jose to the welding shop. Have airbag mount cut off and moved. This costs me about $60, again. Then go to Toyota and find out the new airbags are finally here! I have Toyota change my fuel filter and they are supposed to service my injectors. They do the fuel filter and charge me for both that and the injector service but I learn later they didn’t do the injectors! I left the area in the afternoon and drove up the East Cape Road north of San Jose. This road has some really bad sections but over all isn’t to terrible. I planned to put the airbags in the next morning and test it all on this rough road. I got up the coast to Los Zacatitos (Zacs) and found a bunch of gringos camped on the beach a bit north of town. I pulled in and asked if they mind if I camped here and then I joined them. They ended up feeding me dinner and we drank beers and were merry! Thanks Marc & crew! I got up early on the 23rd and started to change out the air bags. It took me till 1230pm because I took my time and did some painting. I also cleaned my air filter and lubed the chassis. With the new air bags in all seems good! It was servicing the truck when I discovered they hadn’t done my injectors. They had dust on the outside of them, hadn’t been removed and you can’t get to 3 of them without removing the supercharger which they didn’t do! I leave at about 330pm and head up the coast to Los Frailes. Free camping on most all beaches (that you can access) north of San Jose on the East Cape road, leave them cleaner than you find them!

San_Jose_repairs_Baja.sized.jpg

San_Jose_repairs_Baja1.sized.jpg

San_Jose_repairs_Baja2.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja8.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja1.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja10.sized.jpg

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 23rd-24: Camp in the wash at Los Frailes. The beach is a bit exposed and windy so I camp up in the wash not far from all the RVers. I had a good sized fire and Mel, my camp neighbor, comes over to pay me a visit. Seems he is from Blue River, Oregon just outside Eugene! We have a good chat and he retires for the night. It is nice to know other people are looking out for each other in Baja, I often tried to camp near other people just for security. Far enough away to give me privacy but close enough to watch each others camp. Camping here is also free, leave it clean! Careful with your fires here if it is dry and windy.

Los_Frailes1.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja2.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja4.sized.jpg

east_cape_road_Baja6.sized.jpg

January 24th-25th: Drive from Los Frailes to Los Barriles. Have lunch at Los Barriles and then drive up to La Paz. Very beautiful drive but my throttle body starts acting up for the first time. The air bags seem all good and it rides nicely. Once in La Paz and after 2hrs of looking for RV parks out of an old book I give up and go to one I know exists! It is just outside La Paz on the road to El Centenario, its on the Mex1 and you can’t miss it. It is not a very good park but is close to the city and safe. It has laundry and hot showers and not much else, a playground I guess. I do some laundry and get a hot shower. The RV park runs $18/night.

Los_Farrillis_pan_Los_Farrillis_2.sized.jpg

East_Cape_Road_Baja_pan.sized.jpg

Los_Barriles_Baja.sized.jpg

Los_Barrilles_pan.sized.jpg

Cabo_Pulmo_Baja.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 25-26th: I get up at 630am and go to the ferry terminal just north of La Paz. Not knowing exact details I just wanted to get there early to make sure I got my ticket for that day on the ferry. I get there before they open and wait, once open I get my ticket. It runs me about $180 for the truck and myself. I am done by 830am and ferry doesn’t show up until 330pm, back here by 130pm. So I head up the coast to both Pichilingue and Tecolote. I decide to cook breakfast on the beach at Tecolote. I then meet a couple from Canada camped near me on the beach. We have a chat for an hour or so and then I get ready to go to the ferry. I should have camped up here the night before but didn’t know what was up here and it was getting late when I went to the RV park. Oh well next time I know where there is awesome free camping near La Paz! I get to the ferry at 130pm and am getting ready to load when they ask about a ticket for my dog. I didn’t mention him initially so I have to park and go get him a ticket now before I can get on the boat. This costs me another $20. They told me I had to put him in a kennel on the boat but once I paid for him and was loaded they didn’t say anything about it. So I just left him in the truck with the rear slider open. The ferry ride is rough and lots of the truckers are drinking heavily and then throwing up in all the bathrooms! I meet some German guys on the boat and we have a chat. While on the boat I decide to camp on mainland at an RV park near Los Mochis. The boat lands at 930pm and by 10pm I am unloaded and at a gas station in Topolobampo washing ¼” of slat off my windows! I get to Los Mochis and get kind of lost. Then I find the Mex15 which the RV park is supposed to be right off. I fuel up and try to get directions and go looking again. By midnight I am not finding the RV Park so I just hit the Mex15 south for Mazatlan. I use the toll roads and don’t get lost at all. Along the way I learn what an AutoHotel is while looking for possible places to camp or sleep! I make it to Mazatlan at about 4am. I go to the first decent hotel I can find. By 430am I am asleep after a 22hr day on the road! I decide to lay low in Mazatlan for a few days and rest up. Figure out my next route be it inland or coastal. I got the truck washed as it had a nasty layer of salt all over it. The hotel costs me $35/2nights and is clean.

pichilingue_baja_pan1.sized.jpg

Tecolote_Baja_pan1.sized.jpg

Tecolote_Baja.sized.jpg

Tecolote_Baja1.sized.jpg

baja_ferry1.sized.jpg

baja_ferry_pan.sized.jpg

baja_ferry3.sized.jpg

Baja_ferry.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 27th: Leave the hotel early but end up heading north not south on the Mex15 so have to turn around and the HWY only seems to pass through Mazatlan. So I follow it through the city, don’t get lost but it takes 2hrs to go 50miles! Finally get back on the Mex15 and toll roads. They are really expensive, I count two times and it costs me about $30usd each time to go about 150 miles. This is super expensive but the roads are good, fairly safe and fast. I get to Tepic by about 1pm and get off the Mex15 and onto the Mex200! I had decided the previous night to take the Mex200 all the way down the coast instead of heading inland in route to Belize. I have until about Febuary5-6th to get to Belize. The pace slows by at least half once I get on the Mex200. I am headed for Puerto Vallarta. The drive is slow but gets very beautiful, my throttle body starts acting up again. I am now driving through the jungle! That was pretty cool to be finally driving in the jungle after leaving Wyoming. Just before Puerto Vallarta I stop into a small town called Sayulita since I had read about it in one of my surfing books. I get into town about 330pm and grab some fish tacos down on the beach. It is now super hot and humid! I look around town and find camping at one of the restaurants on the beach. It is just south of the RV park about ¼ mile. The RV Park is usually full. Camping at the restaurant runs about $20/night which is expensive but they have security, water available throughout the yard and nice bathrooms. There is other camping in town on the beach too. Sayulita was a cool little town but had a few things not to my liking. Some of the local (gringo) surfers have an attitude, the waves here are really not all that to warrant any attitudes. Also the drainage ditch in town stinks badly of sewage. The town has a septic system problem and it is polluting the drainage ditch which is then polluting the beach. I didn’t surf here or even swim because of this. I did meet some local surfers who were cool who I drank beers and sipped rum with on the beach as the sun set. I decide to not stay here more than one night so I get up early the next day and head out. It is $20/night per vehicle to camp at the restaurant on the beach, they have secure parking, a bar, food and nice clean bathrooms.

South from Mazatlan
West_coast_of_Mexico5.sized.jpg

West_coast_of_Mexico.sized.jpg

West_coast_of_Mexico11.sized.jpg

West_coast_of_Mexico10.sized.jpg

Sayulita
Sayulita_Mexico4.sized.jpg

Sayulita_Mexico3.sized.jpg

Sayulita_Mexico5.sized.jpg

A California Taco
Sayulita_Mexico2.sized.jpg

Sayulita_Mexico1.sized.jpg

Sayulita_Mexico.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 28th: Drive through Puerto Vallarta, fuel up in town. No dramas going through Puerto Vallarta. Head south down the coast on the Mex200 for Manzanillo, it is a beautiful drive but very slow going. Drive into Manzanillo a bit and look for a Toyota dealership but don’t find one. I was thinking they might be able to locate a new throttle body. I get lost near Tecoman and end up in the small seedy town of Armeria. Get turned around the right way and pass through Tecoman. I stop for fuel and a local warns me to be safe in this area at night! It is getting late, about 430pm. I was planning to get all the way to Playa Azul today but that the locals say is 4-6hrs out! I continue down the coast and come across a sign for hotels and so forth. I pull in the tiny town of San Juan de Alima and find a nice cabana for the night. It is a hotel and not camping but not knowing the area and locals recently warning me I want a safe place for the night. Plus the throttle body acting up badly and I want a place to work on and trouble shoot the truck. I watch one amazing sunset and moonrise then walk around town to find dinner. Only one or two places for food in town so I settle for the larger of the two. I end up meeting all the non-locals in town which is a total of 6 people counting myself! It was a nice local vibe here and not really concerned for my security one bit. This town mostly serves to Mexicans on vacation but it is well worth a stop if you are headed down the Mex200. I walked around town a fair amount at night and drank beer with a few gringos till late in the evening. I did see one truck full of military on the streets at about midnight. The surfing is supposed to be really good around here but I didn’t really have the time to hang out. My cabana ran me $40/night but lots of options in town.

West_coast_of_Mexico8.sized.jpg

San_Juan_de_Alima_Mexico1.sized.jpg

San_Juan_de_Alima_Mexico2.sized.jpg

San_Juan_de_Alima_Mexico.sized.jpg

San_Juan_de_Alima_pan1.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
January 29th: I slept in a bit and then took a good look at my truck. Fuel filter was clean after changing it only in Cabo. I see no probs with the throttle body but I am sure it must be failing or maybe the fuel pump. I head out about noon and drive for Playa Azul. I decide to be near Acapulco by Monday so I can go to a Toyota dealership and see about this throttle body problem. It is a nice drive down the coast but the truck is acting up a lot. I get to Playa Azul in the afternoon and town is packed. Mostly there is Mexican tourists here but the RV park is also full. A local guy leads me to a restaurant where they have camping for $3/night. I take it and squeeze my truck in next to the other 2 vehicles already there. I meet the Swiss couple camping next to me who are driving a decked out TLC camper! The are traveling all through the Americas and have already finished North America. I am pretty sure I saw their truck last fall in Wyoming and took a couple of pictures of it! I decide to lay low in Playa Azul for the weekend and then head down to Acapulco on Sunday. I spend my time relaxing in the shade, go for a surf a few times and browse the internet a lot on my phone. I discover that my problem is for sure the throttle body. I may be able to make it last longer if I keep it cooler. So I decide to dump my 70/30 antifreeze to water mixture and go to nearly straight water.

Mex200.sized.jpg

Mex2001.sized.jpg

Mexico_beer.sized.jpg

Playa_Azul.sized.jpg

Playa_Azul1.sized.jpg

January 31st: Head down the coast and pass up Pie de La Cuesta. Get turned around in Acapulco and head back to Pie de La Cuesta. Find an RV park in town at about 430pm, it is nearly full but they still have some room! Pie de La Cuesta sits on a peninsula on the edge of Acapulco. One side is the beach and the other is a protected bay. It looked like a very nice place to go for a kayak but once again I didn’t really have time, needing to be in Belize in 5 days. I spent the evening on the beach watching another great sunset and drinking a few beers. The RV Park ran me $18/night, the bathrooms are ok, not great but not to bad.

Pie_de_la_Cuesta_Mexico2.sized.jpg

Pie_de_la_Cuesta_Mexico4.sized.jpg

Pie_de_la_Cuesta_Mexico5.sized.jpg

Pie_de_la_Cuesta_Mexico.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
February 1st: Drive into and then around Acapulco to try and find a Toyota dealership. No luck after 2hrs so I head out of town. There is a bypass but I must of missed it so end up driving right through the heart of town and along the beach. Near the south edge of the city I get pulled over for the first time! The cop says I ran a red light at a huge roundabout but I was going with the flow of traffic and didn't see any lights, red or green! He gets me anyways for 800pesos and then acts real friendly and tries to give me directions on the map. I leave and am very cautious not to break any traffic laws. I get not 10 minutes down the road and get pulled over again, this time for supposed speeding! I know I wasn't speeding because I was paying attention. There is two guys this time and they are hassling me badly. I give him my fake license which doesn't work and he finally gets my real one. He then flashes a bag of white powder while his arm is inside my passenger window. He says he is going to drop it and arrest me if I don't give him $2,000! I totally was not expecting anything like this, just another 800pesos or so. I only had roughly $1000 on me but he was not convinced, he was sure I had cash stashed in the truck. I ended up convincing him to take the $1000 and let me go. I took about 10-15mins though because he was determined I had more cash. Now this was my first real shake down by the cops. I admit I should not have gave them the $1000 but I got real freaked out when he flashed the white powder and said he was going to arrest me. These two guys had been doing this kind of scam a long time, hell I am not even sure they were real cops! I made the mistake of not separating my cash and keeping it all except a small amount in one place in my wallet. I am fairly sure the first guy who got me for $800 pesos called or radioed his buddies to shake me down because he saw my wad of cash when I paid him. So I learned a big lesson on this day and convinced myself they would never get me for that much cash again! I stopped up the road about 20 minutes to get a picture of the city. The coast is very beautiful here and I had no shots of Acapulco from the south. I also wanted to step out of the truck for a few now that I was free of Acapulco and the shake down by the cops. I pull off the road at a small gravel pull out. As soon as I step out of the truck my foot lands in a huge pile of crap! I was wearing sandals and pants and it gets all over my sandal, my foot and my pants! At first I am like oh great dog doo and then I see toilet paper all over the place! Wait a minute this is human crap!! I almost throw up but manage to compose myself. I decide to climb down the embankment to the ocean and wash this off me! My water tank was empty and all I had was drinking water. I slip and fall down the embankment, just have flip flops on. The coast here is rocky with big round boulders and they are slick. I get to the waters edge and am soaking wet from the waves breaking. Finally get the crap washed off my foot and then slip again. This time on the boulders and end up bruising my rear end good! I make it back to the truck and get out of here as fast as I can without getting pulled over again! I head for Puerto Escondido. I get into Puerto Escondido late and can't get to the camping down by the beach because of construction. I end up going back into town and find a hotel that kind of has an RV park in the parking lot. I look around and decide to check elsewhere but then I see a couple of gringos camping under a tree. So I decide to join them. They are a couple of hippies/nudists from Illinois who are heading to Zipolite. We end up sharing food and drinks and conversation. It costs me $5/night to camp in the parking lot of the hotel. This was one hell of a day on my trip! I go taken and learned some very good lessons! I also decided I don't like Acapulco one bit, in fact I dislike it a lot! Puerto Escondido looks nice and I had planned to stay here a few days but was running short on time. Once I left Acapulco I really started moving and took hardly any pictures. Taco was really acting up and it seemed like a lot of ground to cover before I was in Belize. So I just drove a few long days and hoped for the best.

Acapulco_Mexico.sized.jpg

West_coast_of_Mexico7.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
February 2nd: Drive from Puerto Escondido to Salina Cruz. I decided to cross Mexico here and head for the Yucatan, then drop down into Belize. This section of road from Puerto Escondido o Salina Cruz is very windy and also super hot. This was one of the hottest places I was in on my trip. I get off the Mex200 and onto the Mex185 and then head north. It is so windy I have to tie down my kayak several times. I pass a Toyota dealership in Juchitan so decide to stop and see about a throttle body. No such luck so I move on. I get to the Mex180 and head west. It was nice to get off the Mex200 as it is really slow going on that road. The climate also changes from super hot and dry to cooler and very humid. I head west on toll roads for the Yucatan. It is late in the day and now raining pretty hard. I wanted to camp at Agua Dulce but decided against it since it was raining so hard and really wet out. I pushed to Villahermosa and made it in about 730pm. I got a hotel right on the HWY and rested up for the evening, even got one last hot shower in!

villahermosa_mexico.sized.jpg

February 3rd: Up early and head out of Villahermosa, no dramas. Head across the Yucatan on the Mex186. It is a good road but had some construction going so was fast then slow, fast then slow. I was disappointed to see it was almost all farm land and clear cut. I stop in Escarcega and make some phone calls to the USA. I order up a new throttle body and have it shipped to Jaime in Belize. I get to Chetumal about 430pm and decide to try and cross the border today. I head for the border crossing into Belize at Corozal. Exiting Mexico is easy and I keep my vehicle permit. I should have got my tourist card put on hold but instead have it canceled. Entering Belize is going well. I get across the bridge and get insurance for my truck. I decide to hire a local porter. He will help me through the process with the truck and dog. All goes well until I walk up to the counter to clear customs. I end up getting the one guy I should not have got. He starts giving me a hard time about my passport and no re-entry stamps into the USA since 2004. I really am a bit ignorant about this at this time so play the ignorant part. It gets me nowhere to play dumb which I really am dumb and can’t say why I don’t have re-entry stamps other than they never stamped it! I should have told him they don’t stamp anymore entering the USA if you are a citizen but I didn’t know that at the time. He tells me to get my dog and bring it inside and clear it with agriculture. I think that this is a good thing because if they clear the dog and take my money they will clear me. Get my dog and bring him in and clear him although it costs me over $50! I then see the customs officer again and he continues to give a hard time, he even says to me if you are lying to me you are not getting in the country, he even asks me if I have two passports and then he tells me to go empty my truck he is going to search it. No problem I expected to be searched! So I go empty the truck and he eventually comes out. He kind of looks around and then asks me if I have any diving gear, nothing other than a mask and fins I tell him. He asks me about electronics, if I have a laptop and these items. I tell him no laptop but I have an ipod, a cell phone and my truck stereo. He then wants to see my cell phone, it is a Blackberry Storm. I also show him a business card so he knows I am who I say I am and not lying to him. He then asks me how much cash I have on me, I tell him only about $300 which is true. I say I don’t carry much cash now because that way they can’t rob me of all of it! He pokes around the truck some more than pulls me aside and says, if you don’t give me your cell phone I am not letting you in the country! I am like great, here we go again! He tells the porter to get the cell phone from me or that I should leave. I decide screw it, I have insurance on the phone. So I pull out the memory card and hand over the phone. I had just ordered up a new throttle body. I also needed to get to Belize, my truck needed repairs and Jaime was expecting me, I had made it this far!! Now that I have more experience I would handle the situation differently, may have also left. Although as I later learned once stamped out of one country you typically can’t get back in for 3 days! So I may have been stuck in the free zone for 3 days! The porter takes the cell and goes inside and gives it to the customers officer. I then go inside and he stamps my passport and clears me into the country. He then pulls me aside into a room and closes the doors and tells me to be safe, I then get my passport back! I get in the country and drop off the porter (no he wasn’t in on this scam) off in town. I then find a place to camp in Corozal, it is now late like 930pm. The mosquitoes were out in full force and it was hot and humid. I drink some beers and go to bed, I don't sleep to well. Camping costs me $8/night at the Caribbean Village which is just a field across from the bay. It has RV hook ups but they look like they have not worked in a long time.

Searched at the Mexico- Belize border
Mexico_Belize.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
February 4th: I get up early and talk to the only other campers at the Caribbean Village. They are Americans so I ask if I can see their passports, sure enough no re-entry stamps in years! I decide to go to Belmopan and go to the US Embassy. I wanted to report the theft, possibly anyways and also see if I had a problem with my passport. I had a long ways to go yet and didn’t want anymore problems like this due to my passport or me no being informed. On the way to Belmopan I pass through the only toll road in Belize, it costs me $.75! That is a HUGE change from Mexican toll roads. I also go through a number of police/military check points. My throttle body is acting up bad today. Around Sand Hill it nearly fails on me and I have to pull the truck over. I turn the truck off and check it out and it resets so I just keep going. The throttle body got stuck and basically the pedal was very stiff, I had no power and couldn’t go over 50mph. I get to Belmopan around noon and find the embassy. While looking for the embassy I go over a huge speed bump and end up breaking the top plate on my LHS air bag! I get in the embassy and speak to a consulate. Come to find out I am fine with my passport and I decide not to file an official report on the customs officer until I am at least out of the country. I leave Belmopan a bit more relaxed and head down the Hummingbird HWY for Dangriga. I get to Dangriga at about 3pm and go by Jaime’s work. He is supposed to be out on the Cayes for a few more days but I can stay at his house. So I am looking for a way to find his house! Turns out he is in town because he got sick and had to come in from a trip to see the doctor! I meet up with him and head on over to his place.

February 4th-10th: Hang out in Dangriga at Jaime’s house. Wait for the throttle body to show up and discuss our plan for heading to Panama. It is decided we will be going (I was unsure with truck problems, money and so forth) and hope the throttle body shows up soon. Jaime has to be in Panama by about the 16th so he can prepare for guiding the trip out to Isla Coiba. Jaime lives with the other guides and we spend time getting to know each other, hanging out and drinking! We have a BBQ one night and end up inviting some random German girls we met on the street over. One of the guides ends up with her and they are still dating! I meet a local named Devon who invites me to join his team for the Ruta Maya Challenge. http://www.larutamayabelize.com/main/TheRace/GeneralInfo/tabid/54/Default.aspx I can’t do it though because we are headed for Panama! I end up hanging out with Devon a few times and having dinner at his house one night. He is an inspiring musician so it was cool to get to spend time with a local in Belize and learn a bit about the culture. We went up to the Blue Hole National Park one day for s short hike and a swim in the Blue Hole. I am just keeping my fingers crossed the throttle body will show up on time and there will be no issues with it. I am watching the tracking on it via the internet so I see when it shows up in Belize. It gets stuck at customs in Belize City, in Belize there is a 50% importation tax on goods. We head up to Belize City via the Coastal HWY (actually just a dirt track) and get the throttle body. I was able to talk to a supervisor and convince him I didn’t need to pay tax on the part as it was for a USA truck and was leaving the country the next day. So I had to only pay a $15usd customs fee which saved me hundreds of dollars! We get the part and haul ******** back to Dangriga, on the way we stop and go for a swim in a nice creek on the Costal HWY. I needed to change the throttle body and do other work to the truck that night before we left the next morning, plus pack and all that jazz! So I drove the Costal HWY rather fast! It was fun but I did damage blow the airbag that the cap broke on in Belmopan. So now I only had one new good airbag and I had three with holes in them! We get to town late but I had made arrangements with a local mechanic to do the work at his place. I did an oil change at his place the day before and also flushed my coolant plus filled it with distilled water and antifreeze to about a 30/70 mix, antifreeze to water. He lets me use his place again and some tools I lacked to do the throttle body and the last few repairs. We get started just before dark on the throttle body and by 730pm are done with the work to the truck. We repair the airbag and change out the throttle body. We take it for a test drive and it seems fixed! We head back to the house and pack so we can leave the next morning for Panama! It was nice to have some time to relax after 2-3 bad days in a row in Mexico/Belize. I would have liked to do some more things in Belize but Jaime was sick and recovering, I was low on cash, the truck was running really bad and I wanted some time out of the truck before heading to Panama. I was in Belize last year so no worries really that I didn't do much there this time.

Partying in Dangria with friends
Dangriga_Belize.sized.jpg

On the Coastal HWY from Dangriga to Belize City
belize.sized.jpg

Making repairs to airbag & truck before leaving Belize
belize1.sized.jpg

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I won't be updating this for at least another week. I am expecting a disc with pictures from Jaime. I am really lacking in pictures from Belize to Panama so I will give it some time and see if the disc shows up. There is plenty to read and look at for now anyways! :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk