The War Wagon: A 2005 Toyota Tundra AC's transformation to Overlanding Rig

seanpistol

Explorer
I talked to Allprooffroad a month ago and they're going to get a tundra bumper out in the next 6 months or so. They already have sliders and a rack system for the first gen.
Here's the email:
"We do plan on making bumpers for the first gen tundras but we are a few months out until we start proto typing on them."

hmm... maybe enough of us have bugged them that they're starting to change their mind.

CrewServed

"That" guy
@Greenyota:

You know how sometimes, you find out about another brand, another version, or another manufacturer of a thing right after you've bought it? It isn't happening with the bed rack/RTT rack that I want as a proper replacement for the Thule deal that I'm using now.

I'm really glad you and others like you have mentioned places like Bay Area Metal Fab and All Pro Offroad. I might just end up with exactly what I want for an RTT rack. Thanks!

So here's a question-
Just exactly how does the air bag sensor system work on these 1st gen Tundras, and does it vary by model year?
ARB sure makes a big deal about their air bag system compliance, especially with their accordian looking brackets. But then you go on another site, like All-Pro Offroad (and they are one of the few cottage manufacturers to even mention it), and they list this response about their 05+ Taco bumper:
Q: Do these bumpers interfere with the factory airbag system?
A: No, installing an APex front bumper does not affect any of the factory deceleration sensors, which are in the frame rails.

I know it's been brought up before, but I guess I still don't have a clear understanding and maybe that's because the answer varies by vehicle maker and model, sometimes by model year too. All I know is that driving this truck around with my whole family packed into it, the last thing I want to do is impair the air bag system. It's different if you're talking about a trail only (or primarily) rig for a single guy or gal, but I'm not going to seriously risk my family's safety for the sake of a bumper that looks nice.

As I've been looking at bumpers and exploring options, I've even thrown around the idea of ordering a pair of the Tundra ARB Sahara bumper brackets and building my own bumper off of that mounting platform, just for peace of mind. Other thoughts???

Greenyota

Observer
I believe I saw somewhere over on Tundrasolutions that the airbag sensors on the First gens are further up in the front of the wheel wells, or close to them. Hopefully, If you were getting hit hard enough to need airbags with an aftermarket bumper on then it would trigger the sensors anyways.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
IIRC it's the sudden stop that will cause the air bags to go off. Arb replaceable mounts have crumple zones so if you get in a minor accident the crumple zone crushes so you don't come to an instant stop causing the bags to go off when it wasn't needed. Insurance pays for a new mount and your on your way. If you get into a big enough accident the crumple zone only crushes so much than it will be a sudden stop and your bags deploy as designed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrewServed

"That" guy
Gotta make this quick:

Got the Firestone air helper springs and Daystar cradles installed. Start to finish took 2 1/2 hours. Wasn't super difficult, but I had a major derp moment when I was installing the cradles. It was a quick fix. More tomorrow.

4e7e7ehy.jpg

CrewServed

"That" guy
Damn it. Passenger side air bag leaked. I'll have to chase down the leak after work. In the rain. Uphill. Both ways.

TittySprinkles

My flares don't join up with the mud flaps the way those factory jobbies do. It's been 5 years since I bought this truck, but I vaguely remember that the dude wrote "Bushwacker" in the CL ad.

I've been looking to get rid of mine for that very reason. The integrated mud flaps on my 4Runner and Tundra always get knocked out of the wheelwell if they just brush a rock. Horrible design. Yours look great. Good thing they're only $400...

Ahh. Well they look really close to factory ones.

If by that you mean they look NOTHING like factory flares.

CrewServed

"That" guy
If by that you mean they look NOTHING like factory flares.

I dunno, man. They look a little bit like factory flares. I can see how someone could make that mistake. The aft ends are certainly different, but that's to a discerning eye.

Anyway, I didn't realize that Bushwackers were so pricey! Holy geez. I'm glad someone else bought them, and not me. Then again, he also put a 2" spacer lift in the front and possibly caused my last set of tires to take a crap much sooner than they should have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater