Think I saw the new JL...and pickup version today

MTSN

Explorer
So I was driving by a dirt parking lot today by a hotel, and I noticed a car with the zebra/camo test car print on it. I figured I would pull into the lot to get a better look when I noticed a few other test cars with Michigan plates, and best of all a couple vehicles that were completely covered...in the shape of a Wrangler! There were 2 Wrangler looking vehicles and 2 that to my eye looked like Wrangler pickups!! :Wow1:

There was also what appeared to be a heavy duty 1 ton pickup under cover, but obviously I was most interested in the Wranglers. As I pulled around to snap some better pics, a security guard jumped out of his vehicle and rushed up to my window and was VERY concerned/worried/upset that I was there. He at first asked me if I was "part of the company" maybe because I was my JKUR, then he started asking why I was there, what I was doing, if I took any pics, etc. When I explained I was just an enthusiast interested in the products and talked Jeep with him for a little bit, he seemed to ease up a bit. So of course I asked him if I promised I not to take any pics could I take a look under the cover of the Jeeps, and he very emphatically told me I was not to get out of my Jeep :D

Couple of observations - they had Duratrac tires instead of the old school BFG MTs. They also had what appeared to be some pretty aggressive fender flares from I could see when the wind was blowing the cover against the Jeep. Probably most scintillating of all however, is that to me those exhaust pipes look like they might belong to a DIESEL! I wish I had a few more minutes to get a closer look, but for now this is all I got:

This car is initially what drew me in - looks like a debadged Buick.

IMG_8486.JPG

Then I found these:

IMG_8487.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8485.JPG

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Would've been a terrible shame if the covers blew off...

We were in Brasil at the Mitsubishi factory doing something similar (Mits Savanna) and the security guards jumped out with AK-47s. They seemed upset so we left in haste...

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Man... I haven't been so excited about a new vehicle coming out since the Evo back in 2003. I'm supposed to go look at an 80 series Land Cruiser today but you pictures make me think that a Jeep pickup might be eminent. ...and I might be one of those idiots that buys a 1st year vehicle...

Lol. Sure it's not Colorados?

Awww man... you might be right.

MTSN

Explorer
Lol. Sure it's not Colorados?

It definitely could be - I thought it was odd too to have a Buick mixed in there. At first it looked like a larger sleeker Chrysler 200 until I saw the front. There were several Chrysler vehicles with Michigan tags parked in the lot, but there were also some GM vehicles. The huge pickup under wraps looked like a GM product too. I can't think of another vehicle though that has the profile of the Wrangler like the one on the far right unless they're bringing back the Hummer H3...

njtacoma

Explorer
Living in Colorado, I regularly see camo'd cars and trucks, more so along I-70 toward the tunnel and Hwy 24 in Colorado Springs toward pikes peak. quick easy way to gain elevation.

I was told back in the 90's there was a GM facility in manitou springs, not much more than a simple industrial building with fencing.

When I happened upon some Porsches at a gas station in woodland park, half camo'd the other newer models, everyone suddenly didn't know english when I started asking questions :ylsmoke:

AZJim

Observer
It is a mix. It's possible that the lot is shared by the car companies for security reasons. The one sure looks like a Wrangler and it is about the right time frame for the full bodies to be out testing. I know Chrysler often does high altitude emissions testing in Denver. The pickups, not sure. I thought GM and Ford have introduced all their new models. I know Ram is up next, with the half tons due for 2018 model year. That leaves the 3/4 and 1 tons. Possible just not sure.

Jim

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Michigan manufacturer plates will have an M as part of the number.
As for Colorados, there are rumors of GM bringing out an SUV based on the World Colorado.

Darkrider

Adventurer
Michigan manufacturer plates will have an M as part of the number.
As for Colorados, there are rumors of GM bringing out an SUV based on the World Colorado.

That has been around for a couple years now and has been confirmed for the most part. That SUV would be the next Generation Chevrolet Trailblazer. We have chatted about it a lot on a forum that i am a mod on.

MTSN

Explorer
I stopped by the lot again this morning on my way into work, and now I'm convinced it is being shared by FCA and GM. There were manufacturer vehicles from Cadillac as well as GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado right next to a new Grand Cherokee and Pacifica. Seeing the Canyon/Colorado close by the covered up pickups makes me think they are not the Jeep units. I'm still pretty convinced the other covered unit is a JL unless GM is reviving the Hummer brand.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I know there's a facility in Golden where they do a lot of testing, usually for some of the higher end imports. They test the vehicles from all sorts of manufacturers, so it's not much of a surprise to see different ones lumped together.

MTSN

Explorer
Went out at lunch and literally tip toed up to the front and snapped a couple of pics underneath the cover (security guard was behind the vehicles). They came out pretty bad, but I can confirm 100% one of them is a Wrangler. The pickup looks like an HD Colorado or Canyon though. Came back from lunch and there was a guy in a running pickup directly parked in front of the Wrangler so maybe someone saw me sneak up. Not going to lie I felt like a teenager about to get busted for something :D I'll upload the pics soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179