Thinking about new Subaru Outback...

NomadAdv

Hi there, first post after LOTS of lurking...

Having read about many of the Subarus on this forum and seeing how capable they are for adventure travel and all-around use, I'm considering a new Outback for my next vehicle. I've decided on a 3.6R Limited and considering I want to modify it with an Anderson Design & Fabrication 2" lift, 17" wheels with slightly larger diameter all-terrain tires and once loaded down with people and gear the 2.5 seems to have the potential to be somewhat underwhelming.

Having never purchased a new (or used) vehicle from a dealer, I'm learning about the potential experience and have questions about getting a competitive out the door price and if there are any discounts, rebates, that sort of thing. I'm looking around for a 3.6R Limited without any of the other options being that it comes with everything I want for around $35k but most inventory seems to be loaded with all the extra$. I don't mind traveling to get the car I want at a decent price and from experience, is there anything I should be doing or looking out for?

Crikeymike

Adventurer
I've seen a few people talking about those lifts. How much do they charge for them?

I have several friends with stock subi's and they all love them (for the overall mpg), especially the size of the Forester.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We have a 2014 and love it. The fuel economy, cargo space and leg room for the rear seats are amazing. I would buy it again.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Same here our 2010 same seating and platform as the current rig. New ones are set up better. Stiffer suspensions, improved running gear, new engines, timing chains. Etc

A lift really doesnt do much given you load it and compress the suspension. The best approach would be stiffer springs. Check out wagonofdoom. He wants to ralley owners to do a large order of stiff springs.

p nut

butter
Stock clearance is very good. It's pretty much on par with other SUV's (4Runner, Jeeps, etc.). I do notice that when loaded with gear for our family, it squats a good amount in the back. Some stiffer springs back there may help (although that may be too stiff for daily driving).
_
Our 2.5L (CVT) hasn't been a hindrance on our trips. Not a rocketship, but high elevation mountain passes, it just gears down and up it goes. 3.6L would do the job well, too. I don't think you can lose either way.

NomadAdv

This is great to hear and really good info, thanks. I see Primitive Racing also has King springs and shock extenders for the Outback as well so that may be an option as well.

Hal43

Love my 2015 Outback with the 2.5. Haven't found the need for a lift yet but, don't get a chance to try really challenging stuff around here. I did put on a brush guard and skid plates from LPAventure which have worked fine for me.

PHV2NQz.jpg

DanCooper

Adventurer
Having never purchased a new (or used) vehicle from a dealer, I'm learning about the potential experience and have questions about getting a competitive out the door price and if there are any discounts, rebates, that sort of thing. I'm looking around for a 3.6R Limited without any of the other options being that it comes with everything I want for around $35k but most inventory seems to be loaded with all the extra$. I don't mind traveling to get the car I want at a decent price and from experience, is there anything I should be doing or looking out for?

Research the heck out of prices. Check out this guy's website for information: http://www.cars101.com Internet searches for high volime Subaru dealerships bring out some intersting possibilities. Bascally you are looking for a dealership that will take just a few hundred dollars over their invoice pricing. Or even less. So you need to know (a) what the car costs them, and (b) that they are a volume dealership.

Good luck. I have a 2008 Outback LL Beam with the 3.0, and I love it. The 2016 gets better mileage, and has a completely flat floor from the back of the front seat to the tailgate, and I envy that. Maybe I should upgrade . . .

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
I picked up a '16 3.6R this past spring from my local dealer. I initially wanted a 3.6R without "Eyesight and NAV". Those are basically the only options available on the 3.6R Limited. But as I learned a 3.6R without Eyesight and NAV doesn't really exist. Sure you could probably special order one but that might cost more than making a deal on a 3.6R in inventory or in transit to the dealer. I heard that the 3.6R represents only about 10% of Outback production so they're aren't many to be had. My dealer here in Flagstaff had a no haggle $500 over invoice price and the day I was there they just got a white 3.6R off the transport. I think I paid $35,750 + tax and fees for my fully loaded 3.6R in May '16. Check Outback Forums PURCHASE PRICE thread for updates on '17 prices. I don't really use my NAV but I have come to like the Eyesight and think it actually makes me a safer driver.

Lostinspace

My wife wanted a 2016 Outback limited 3.6r in white with every option. For a month no dealer in Colorado could get us this exact vehicle. We finally found a dealer in Denver who located a car exactly how we wanted it and had it transferred from Utah. We paid 32k + ttl/fees. This was in July and we have been very pleased with the vehicle.

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
We have a '13 Outback limited, all stock, that we bought brand new and have loved it. Its been perfect for both daily driving and cross country road trips for our family of 4. However our family will be growing and so we will sadly be selling it and looking for something with a 3rd row.

myko

Hi there, first post after LOTS of lurking...

Having read about many of the Subarus on this forum and seeing how capable they are for adventure travel and all-around use, I'm considering a new Outback for my next vehicle. I've decided on a 3.6R Limited and considering I want to modify it with an Anderson Design & Fabrication 2" lift, 17" wheels with slightly larger diameter all-terrain tires and once loaded down with people and gear the 2.5 seems to have the potential to be somewhat underwhelming.

To add to what some of the others wrote, dont overlook financing options (if ur not paying in full cash that is). This will save you money in the long run.
Get preapproved loans from banks and walk in with it or wait till theres dealer specials on financing interest rates. I got my crosstrek brand new recently. They attempted to give me a 5% interest loan, but when i told them i was going with my own bank and walking, he made his magic "phone call" and got a 1.49% rate for me, so i took that instead (my bank was offering me 3.5%). I think i saw emails recently from subaru offering 0% for outbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougnuts

I love my "no options" 2015 3.6R. I use my phone, through Bluetooth, for Nav and I didn't want eyesight. I occasionally miss not having the sunroof, but I can live without it. I did add the rear cargo mat, rear bumper cover and homelink mirror.

If you can live with 22mpg combined, get the 3.6R. You won't regret it.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Might check out the Outlander GT. Quite similar to the Outback but it can be had right now for around 21k with rebates with the V6, heated leather, rockford audio, awesome AWD system etc.

Ditch the 3rd row and there's tons of room.

Regardless of what you by use Cars.com and Cargurus.com for pricing. I like to look at Nationwide pricing, calculate flight cost, and then negotiate locally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal