Thinking of building something like this, can I get opinions?

tinhippo

I've been a fan of the "Brute" for a long time, but I have a son so a two seater is out. Saw this and I can't tell if it would be worth it. The donor vehicle would be a TJ with a 2' frame stretch and more of an aluminum UTE style bed like the one in the second picture. (This one was built by Jeff Daniels Jeep for Haiti relief project.) What's your opinion cool or just plain awkward? Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 517
  • jeep5.jpg
    jeep5.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 33

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
I really think the JK AEV Brute Double Cab is the perfect match for what you want, but you did mention that price was an issue.

I am NOT a fan of Hummer, and am biased against them. But have you thought of maybe a used H3T? It might meet your requirements like the double cab but at least be a little more affordable than taking a JKU and modifying it as heavily as AEV is.

Wow...did I just call a Hummer more affordable than a Jeep? I feel dirty....

Frank

Explorer
I really think the JK AEV Brute Double Cab is the perfect match for what you want, but you did mention that price was an issue.

I am NOT a fan of Hummer, and am biased against them. But have you thought of maybe a used H3T? It might meet your requirements like the double cab but at least be a little more affordable than taking a JKU and modifying it as heavily as AEV is.

Wow...did I just call a Hummer more affordable than a Jeep? I feel dirty....

no, you stated a fact.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I used to think a brute was awesome, but I built more of a TJ-Scrambler, and I'm glad that I did! My experience is that the TJ frame is at it's limits with the 10" longer TJ Unlimited wheelbase. Mine is a 10+10 stretch, and I can beam the frame pretty good with an empty jeep on trails in Moab... I'd be really scared of a 2' stretch with any sort of weight in the bed, not to mention that my TJ has the frame and body supporting each other, whereas a brute style vehicle has ONLY the frame. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying if you do it, add some beef to the frame! Like making the whole center section from 2-1/2" X 6" box, if such a thing exists... (Stock TJ is basically 2-1/2"x4" 1/8" wall. It is NOT heat treated or anything like that, just hydroformed. (It started round!!)

Good Luck!!
C

tinhippo

Thank you for all your comments and opinions, keep them coming!
1stDeuce do you have a pic or link to your build?
Once again, I appreciate all the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk