Thinking of switching over to an 80 series, please help!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm an XJ ower and have a family of 5, too.

I wonder if you'd consider taking a peek at a 1998-1999 Gen 2.5 Mitsubishi Montero?

We just test drove one, and it honestly makes a lot of sense for us.

-Factory rear locker with winter package
-comfy leather seats
-3rd row seats that fold up just like a land cruiser
-factory rear tire carrier on rear door (that's a $900.00 purchase for an XJ, as you well know)
-front IFS for comfort
-can use XJ front bumpers with some adjustments/mods to the frame rails/mounting points
-Solid Japanese build quality inside and out
-Solid drivetrain and motor with known strengths/weaknesses.
-Best part, these rigs, not being full-time 4wd get about 19-21 mpgs on the highway - about 15-16mpgs city.
-Oh, and dealer prices are around $5000-6000 for a nice specimen, with even better deals available private party.

For around town duties, and runs up to disneyland, I really like the idea of letting the kids spread out to two rows, as well as the ability to carry 7 total people.

For overland trips, 3 carseats WILL fit in the 2nd row (we tried it), which means you can fold up and/or remove the 3rd row seats. At that point, you could install your removable drawers/fridge slide, OR just load up your action packers, pelican cases and cooler.

For trash and firewood storage, you can hang a trasheroo off the rear tire carrier.

Food for thought.

Klierslc

Explorer

I wonder if you'd consider taking a peek at a 1998-1999 Gen 2.5 Mitsubishi Montero?

-comfy leather seats
-factory rear tire carrier on rear door (that's a $900.00 purchase for an XJ, as you well know)
-front IFS for comfort
-can use XJ front bumpers with some adjustments/mods to the frame rails/mounting points
-Best part, these rigs, not being full-time 4wd get about 19-21 mpgs on the highway - about 15-16mpgs city.
-Oh, and dealer prices are around $5000-6000 for a nice specimen, with even better deals available private party.

For around town duties, and runs up to disneyland, I really like the idea of letting the kids spread out to two rows, as well as the ability to carry 7 total people.

For overland trips, 3 carseats WILL fit in the 2nd row (we tried it), which means you can fold up and/or remove the 3rd row seats. At that point, you could install your removable drawers/fridge slide, OR just load up your action packers, pelican cases and cooler.

For trash and firewood storage, you can hang a trasheroo off the rear tire carrier.

Food for thought.

Not a bad idea either. I considered one of those before going with the 80--the v6 in the Montero lacks a bit of grunt compared with the 100, but a solid ride nonetheless.

p nut

butter
I think the Montero's are just slightly smaller than 4th Gen 4Runners, right? That's what I noticed, anyway, just sitting in one. I would also think either the 80 or 100 would be more comfortable on long trips. Seats weren't that cushy from what I remember, but I could be wrong. Another thing is, how is the aftermarket support?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think the Montero's are just slightly smaller than 4th Gen 4Runners, right? That's what I noticed, anyway, just sitting in one. I would also think either the 80 or 100 would be more comfortable on long trips. Seats weren't that cushy from what I remember, but I could be wrong. Another thing is, how is the aftermarket support?

Yup, they're right around that size, p nut, maybe a tad taller overall, but they're not quite as wide as a 100 by a few inches.

And yes, agreed the 100 series is VERY plush, but the Montero fit me very well, too. I didn't find my dad's 80 either super comfy or uncomfy, sorta neutral. I'd put the 100 first, Montero 2nd and 80, 3rd as far as comfort. That's totally a un-scientific opinion, of course. :)

Aftermarket support is fairly slim. Nothing like the cruiser. ARB has front and rear lockers, winch mount, and anything meant for gutter-mounts will work ( like racks, etc.) Montero's have HUGE, HUGE wheel wells, and this is important because with a simple 2" body lift, you can fit 35's. With a bit of trimming and a tweak of the torsion bars in the front, and a spring spacer in the rear you can fit 37's - 40's.

Sliders like TrailGear's tube built offerings are easily mounted for a minimum of cost.

My dad has had both a 100 and an 80, so I'm familiar with both. GREAT trucks. Just thought I'd throw the Montero in there, because the test drive was fresh in my mind, and like I said, seemed to make a lot of sense features-wise, for us. Plus it's quite a bit less $$ than a cruiser.

Also, consider that there is quite a difference between a 1995-96 2nd generation Montero and a 1998-99 Gen 2.5. We were very suprised at how much the gen 2 felt like my jeep, and how much the gen 2.5 felt like a 80/100 series Cruiser. We were definitely partial to the gen 2.5.

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Not a bad idea either. I considered one of those before going with the 80--the v6 in the Montero lacks a bit of grunt compared with the 100, but a solid ride nonetheless.

Yeah, agreed, The 100 certainly has the Montero cornered powerwise, but then again, if you can get away with it, you'd get it back in fuel economy...

Not sure which motor of the two is considered more reliable overall. I'd say they probably both are best served by the previous owner who didn't skimp on maintenence, though. :)

baca327

Adventurer

-comfy leather seats
-front IFS for comfort

Food for thought.
Its funny you mentioned that as I was actually looking at those too. I would like a 100 as I have driven them and I know the 4.7 fairly well, but I have not driven a montero or worked on them. I will be looking at them as well especially because purchasing a 99 montero with the comparable mileage I would have a more budget for mods than that of a 100. I will be researching the reliability of the montero, but I'm still leaning 100. Also a 80 still isnt completely discounted as a head gasket is much cheaper for me to fix than a exploded diff.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Its funny you mentioned that as I was actually looking at those too. I would like a 100 as I have driven them and I know the 4.7 fairly well, but I have not driven a montero or worked on them. I will be looking at them as well especially because purchasing a 99 montero with the comparable mileage I would have a more budget for mods than that of a 100. I will be researching the reliability of the montero, but I'm still leaning 100. Also a 80 still isnt completely discounted as a head gasket is much cheaper for me to fix than a exploded diff.

Yup, with all things considered, the head gasket issues on 80's seems the same to me. Just not really a big deal. And fixes like the PHH (Pesky heater hose) are well-researched and documented on IH8Mud.

Definitely doesn't make me dismiss the montero, but there seems to be much more of a Jeep-type community surrounding and supporting 'Cruiser ownership.

Since I do all my own work, that fact /\ is very important, though I will say that on this website and on 4x4wire.com there's certainly a lot of good blokes chatting about Mitsubishi issues, too. Quite honestly, other than oil consumption (valve seals) and a few specific oil leak issues that are very common and somewhat easy to replace, I don't hear much at all about any type of catastrophic failures related to the Montero line.

Good luck with your choice, though! Definitely be interested in what you choose. :) Our XJ is a solid workhorse but we LOVED the space the Montero afforded us, and the features that I'd have to add to my jeep ($$) that simply come stock with the truck we tested out.

nikosan

As a 99 Montero and a 100 owner. I do like the looks and handling of the Montero. 2nd row seats is designed to be comfy only for 2 adults on the Mitsu. I get 14.5 mpg compared to 12.5 on the LC. On hills and inclines you wish the Montero had a V8. It feels tippy too since it is tall and narrow for its size so you slow down on turns. Montero has its valve guide seals issue. If you can afford it then go for the 100. If you are on a budget then the Montero is a capable machine that fits your bill since you are a mechanic. The 100 requires premium gas but read others have been using regular. Test drive both but.... once you drive the hundy you will never go back to a Monty. Folks this is just my opinion.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I don't think the 100 requires premium gas... even the Lexus version doesn't from what I've read online (identical engines).

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I believe the 100 Owners' manual stated that it recommend premium for the 99-02 model years. Many people run regular with no issues. There are several threads on this subject on ih8mud.com. I run regular in mine.

(edit) - Phil, you beat me to it!

86tuning

Adventurer
The OP ended the post with ...OME/33's roof rack and armor front and rear...IFS will not be the limiting factor.
Do forget a 100 series also has rear air.:wings:

Yep. On an 80 I would go straight to 35s.

But you'll like the engine on the 100 a lot more than the slow (but sturdy) engine on the 80. Something like 50# more torque makes it nicer to drive. Fuel economy on the 100 should be slightly better than on the 80, especially if you get a newer one with the 5sp auto trans. Power and towing capacity will be much better too. More room, better HVAC on the newer truck, but it's IFS. However if you're planning on sticking with 33s you'll be okay.

If you like the solid front axle as much as I do, your choices would be to build a UZJ80 or a UZJ105. I've already got an 80, so the engine swap is part of my pipe dream, as there are no forseeable issues with my current power plant.

Newest 80 is from 1997. Newest 100 is from 2007. Even a mint condition 80 will be 10 years older...

alia176

Explorer
I'd recommend staying away from an 80 due to your family size and their growing legs!! The 100 seems to have more leg room for the middle row passengers which is nice. I'd also consider a Montero LS 90's vintage and a Trooper early 00's vintage. They both seem to have cavernous cab with what appears to be a gigantic middle row. I'm sure each vehicle has their issues that be solved and improved upon so I tend not to worry about that sort of thing. I kind of I like the idea of leaving the cargo area available for the dog and the usual camping gear. Furthermore, I'd try avoiding the use of an open style roof rack at any costs, just to eek out a mpg or two on long trips. That said, I have a packasport for all the lightweight, fluffy and irregular items that are common on every wheeling trips.

Solid axle is over rated for family wheeling trips IMHO (ducking for cover). If you're into rock crawling with the family of five and the associated gear, that's a whole different deal. However, my family wheeling trips are usually not death defying and an IFS would've served us very well. Our family of three + 1 dog seems to be very crowded on long wheeling trips, even with the Kamparoo and I often wished we had more interior space in the 80. As my daughter gets taller, I can see this being an issue with the 80 over long term. The fridge sits permanently in the place of a seat in the second row, unfortunately, you don't have this luxury. When folks ask us if we're going to have a second child, our standard response is that we have no room in the second row for another child!

Parts availability in small towns has never been an issue with either of our 80s. They're built well and neither has broken down on any of our trips - DV, UT, CO, etc. If anything that needed to be tweaked on long trips were my own mods! Having CruiserDan near by means that all parts are usually OEM and I'm pretty neurotic about PM on all of our vehicles. Fuel economy is horrible in our 80s and I feed both the crappiest petrol available and they just don't care. The engines are rock solid tractor motors and a simple pleasure to work on. Just for the record, I drive my vehicles like I stole them and the two 80's are just phenomenal vehicles in that regard.

The '96 weighs in at almost 7,000 lbs and the '97 is about 6,600 lbs when loaded with gear. Both are dogs at any elevation and like to drink fuel. Even though the '96 is part time, still she likes to drink. We took a six week road trip couple of years ago in the '97 w/o the trailer and I was wishing I had a Tahoe for more room, power and better fuel economy, LOL! In one of the camp ground we stayed at, there was an VW Eurovan that caught my eye! It was a family of four with a large dog that seemed to me fairly comfortable in their rolling casa on wheels. Both the 80s and the earlier 100s have the same transmission which I seem to detest. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear is a huge jump in the ratio and this annoys the crap out of me. If the ratio was closer, perhaps the engine can stay in the power band while maintaining hwy speeds easier. I think the '04 and newer 100s resolved this with a 5sp tranny?

Anyway, just some more data points for you to consider.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater