Thinking of Trading...

Radio

Observer
I am thinking of trading my 07 FJ for a 12 Tundra. Why? Well, the FJ does not really do all that well towing, which I find myself doing quite a few times through out the year. Second, a little more room to haul stuff around would be nice. Gas mileage would be about the same? Towing with the FJ, no matter how gentle I am, I get no better than 10mpg. I believe the Tundra will do better.
Although I have alot of time and love invested into my FJ, the Tundra has just captivated my imagination. Yeah, it might not fit into the tighter places my FJ does, but the Tundra does have a measure of offroad prowess.
I don't know... kinda conflicted...

Honu

lost on the mainland
I can tell you with a family of 4 and dog going camping in our FJ after selling our trailer is much more cramped then I thought :)

I hear ya if I was towing would rather have a larger rig

Silver-Bolt

Hired Gun
I just went from a Raptor to an FJ. Bigger is not always better. The Raptor was a fantastic rig but it's size was an issue. On high speed open desert runs it was a blast. When the trails narrowed and the turns tightened is was a problem. Call around to car rental agencies in your area and see if you can rent one for a week. See if you can live with it as a daily driver. My FJ feels like a Mini-Cooper compared to the Raptor. So far the only thing I miss is the V8. Regarding MPG's, in town the Raptor would do 11mpg. Best I got running empty on the HWY was 17mpg. Towing, 8-10mpg.

Clutch

<---Pass
Write down the pros and cons of each...and what you need the vehicle to do....do you need more of a tow rig, or more of a trail rig?

If you're complaining about mpg's, might want to go check out a Ford F150 eco-boost. I got to test drive my buddy's, hot damn!

Or maybe you need two vehicles...one trail rig one tow rig...for the price of a '12 Tundy...you could get two used vehicles.

Heck I have 5 motorize vehicles...cost less than a one brand new truck.

Supposedly Toyota is working with Ford on turbos for the 2014 model year, maybe for both the Tacoma and Tundra.
Gawd knows the Tacoma needs both more power and better mpg's...

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
Funny, I'm looking at the same thing. Sell the 4runner and get a Tundra. The Tundra seems plenty capable offroad, and no wider than the 4th and 5th gen runners. And not much difference in length than the tacomas.

I'd like to have the tundra for camping and mild wheeling trips, and tow a purpose built rig for trail running/actual wheeling. THat, and the Tundra Crew max looks to have a much larger back seat than my 99 4runner. Besides, it seems that mileage is a wash on all of them. The 4runner gets 17 usually, but can be in the 15 range. If the Tundra can come close to that, I'd be happy.

I'll be watching this thread to see what you decide, and what your opinions are of the new tundra.

blair_tundra

I went from a 2008 Tacoma double cab 4x4 to a 2012 Tundra crewmax 4x4. My Tundra has been great so far, but it definitely is not good on tight and narrow trails unless you like ALOT of pinstriping. Also, the sheer weight of the vehicle can be an issue in mud and sand. I average 16 mpg combined city/hwy in my Tundra. I don't tow so I can comment on mileage towing. My tundra can seat 6 and the ride is much better than the tacoma. Once I get a camper shell I'll be able to sleep in the back and it will make an ideal long distance travel/expo vehicle. The decision on your end whether to upgrade will come down to looking at what kind of off roading you intend to do. Two tracks and fire roads are no problem for the Tundra, for tight jeep trails and rock crawling I'd stick with the FJ

AxleIke

Adventurer
I went from a 2008 Tacoma double cab 4x4 to a 2012 Tundra crewmax 4x4. My Tundra has been great so far, but it definitely is not good on tight and narrow trails unless you like ALOT of pinstriping. Also, the sheer weight of the vehicle can be an issue in mud and sand. I average 16 mpg combined city/hwy in my Tundra. I don't tow so I can comment on mileage towing. My tundra can seat 6 and the ride is much better than the tacoma. Once I get a camper shell I'll be able to sleep in the back and it will make an ideal long distance travel/expo vehicle. The decision on your end whether to upgrade will come down to looking at what kind of off roading you intend to do. Two tracks and fire roads are no problem for the Tundra, for tight jeep trails and rock crawling I'd stick with the FJ

16! Thats great news. That is barely worse than my 4runner.

As for wheeling, good to know on tight trails, though I guess I find that surprising. I'll have to get the exact numbers on the Tundra and the other vehicles, but to me, the Tundra looks just was wide as all of Toyota's current SUV's and trucks. I'm sure its actually bigger, but I saw a 4th gen 4runner parked next to a tundra and they looked exactly the same width. Though it was a V8 4Runner.

deadbeat son

Explorer
The dimensions aren't that close if you're referring to the current Tundra:

Width
4th Gen 4R: 73.8"
5th Gen 4R: 75.8"
Tacoma: 74.6"
Tundra: 79.9"

Length
4th Gen 4R: 189"
5th Gen 4R: 189.9"
Tacoma DCSB: 208.1"
Tundra DC: 228.7"

Weight
4th Gen 4R: 4280 lb
5th Gen 4R: 4400 lb
Tacoma DCSB: 4155 lb
Tundra DC: 5460 lb

I've also considered getting rid of my Tacoma for a Tundra, as the size of the 4WC it can hold would be more useful, but I simply can't get past its massive size. The size of the previous generation Tundra would be ideal, but I don't want to buy a used vehicle.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've also considered getting rid of my Tacoma for a Tundra, as the size of the 4WC it can hold would be more useful, but I simply can't get past its massive size. The size of the previous generation Tundra would be ideal, but I don't want to buy a used vehicle.

Seem like it would be a wash trading a current Tacoma for a first gen Tundra....they are darn near the same size.

Why the fear buying a used vehicle, it is just a machine, everything can be fixed. Bought my Tacoma used, best vehicle I have ever owned, has needed very little repairs over the 10 years I have owned it. I have put 200,000 miles on it, bought it with 60,000 on the ODO.

I thought of getting a first gen Tundra as well, but no manual tranny with the V8's is a deal killer. Could always do a swap though...hmmm.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Seem like it would be a wash trading a current Tacoma for a first gen Tundra....they are darn near the same size.

My Tacoma is a DCSB, which can hold the FWC Finch model. That camper measures 69W X 70L. The 1st Gen Tundra DC can fit a FWC Hawk, which measures 80W X 80L. This translates to significantly more room in the camper.

Additionally, the current Tacoma's weight carrying capacity is only a little over 2/3 that of the previous Tundra:

2nd Gen Tacoma DCLB (used as a reference because it will hold an Eagle camper, which is 10" longer than the Finch)
GVWR: 5450 lb
Curb weight: 4190 lb
Net capacity: 1260 lb

1st Gen Tundra DC
GVWR: 6600 lb
Curb weight: 4765 lb
Net capacity: 1835 lb

Why the fear buying a used vehicle, it is just a machine, everything can be fixed. Bought my Tacoma used, best vehicle I have ever owned, has needed very little repairs over the 10 years I have owned it. I have put 200,000 miles on it, bought it with 60,000 on the ODO.

I'm glad you are pleased with your purchase, but I still don't want to buy a used vehicle. My first couple of dozen vehicles were purchased used, and I simply don't care to do that anymore.

Clutch

<---Pass
My Tacoma is a DCSB, which can hold the FWC Finch model. That camper measures 69W X 70L. The 1st Gen Tundra DC can fit a FWC Hawk, which measures 80W X 80L. This translates to significantly more room in the camper.

Additionally, the current Tacoma's weight carrying capacity is only a little over 2/3 that of the previous Tundra:

2nd Gen Tacoma DCLB (used as a reference because it will hold an Eagle camper, which is 10" longer than the Finch)
GVWR: 5450 lb
Curb weight: 4190 lb
Net capacity: 1260 lb

1st Gen Tundra DC
GVWR: 6600 lb
Curb weight: 4765 lb
Net capacity: 1835 lb

Sounds like you're in a pickle...want a bigger camper, but unwilling to buy a truck that will enable you to haul that bigger camper.

I have been in a 8' bed FWC model (no idea what it is called)...seemed pretty cramped even being 8' long.

Last edited:

deadbeat son

Explorer
Sounds like you're in a pickle...want a bigger camper, but unwilling to buy a truck that will enable you to haul that bigger camper.

I have been in a 8' bed FWC model (no idea what it is called)...seemed pretty cramped even being 8' long.

True; the key is I want a bigger camper, but want is a fleeting emotion. That's why I'm unwilling to get a different truck right now. I realize the FWC won't be "spacious" by any stretch of the imagination, that's not what I'm looking for. Functional is. If I were traveling solo, the Finch would suit me well. With a wife, large dog, and a child on the way, the Finch will likely be too tight.

Clutch

<---Pass
True; the key is I want a bigger camper, but want is a fleeting emotion. That's why I'm unwilling to get a different truck right now. I realize the FWC won't be "spacious" by any stretch of the imagination, that's not what I'm looking for. Functional is. If I were traveling solo, the Finch would suit me well. With a wife, large dog, and a child on the way, the Finch will likely be too tight.

Yep, life is a compromise, however...

If you haven't seen this movie:

http://surfwisefilm.com/html/index.html

Yep, life is a compromise, however...

If you haven't seen this movie:

http://surfwisefilm.com/html/index.html

Uh, wow. That guy sounds nuts.

Been thinking myself about trading up, our 03 DCTaco just doesn't have quite enough space. The interior seems cramped, though I attribute part of that to both of my kids being in car seats. The other thing that gets to me is that the bed is so stinking small. It seems like less space than I'd get behind the back seat of a 80 or 100 series. I carry enough lumber and use the bed for normal truck use often enough that the 5' bed just drives me nuts. After looking at some of the specs myself, I think I'd probably go for the 2nd gen Taco in a DC long bed. More interior room, another foot of bed space- which means a flippac or even a RTT would actually be plausible for our family, and an engine that puts out 25% better numbers than the pansy 3.4. I looked at the 1st gen Tundras, hoping I could settle for an access cab, but I'd lose 5-6" of interior leg room, which I don't think would work. The V8 would be a nice option, as would the bed size, but it's also 25% heavier than a Taco. The DC Tundra is surprisingly much bigger than even the access cab- I didn't realize they were so different. Much wider, taller and obviously heavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333