Thinking of Trading...

It's true though- it's all about what sacrifices you're willing to make, either in life or in making a decision about a truck and camping gear. That guy made some serious sacrifices to stick to what he felt was really important. I respect that, even if I don't agree with what he decided was really important.

Unfortunately, no one has yet marketed a successful camper version of the Mary-Poppins-handbag. I mean, that's really what we're all after- something that holds 50 pounds of crap in a 10 pound sack, but weighs only 5 pounds and only costs $20. I'd buy one. We don't want to leave much at home, but we don't want too big of a truck, or too much stuff, or we can't afford the 4wd rig that will actually carry everything we'd like. For me, at the moment, I don't have the cash to upgrade vehicles, so I'll stick with what I've got because I don't want a loan payment. I'll work on the rest of my gear and system that needs tweaking instead of putting money into mods on a truck I'm going to sell sooner than later....

fowldarr

Explorer
I drove pretty much all of toyota's offerings when I was looking. I have a wife 3 kids, two small/medium sized dogs. It was a no brainer. Tundra CrewMax as the only way to go. I've pulled a couple of small trailers and it was fine....nothing big yet.

I have the 4.7, and seem to get a little better mileage than the 5.7 guys. Not much, but I got it for a great deal because the dealer hadn't sold it yet.

p nut

butter
...Tundra CrewMax as the only way to go....

I've got to say, comfort wise, going on an 8-hour trip with 4 full-grown men in the truck, my friend's Crew Max was as comfortable as I've been on a road trip. My friend, who is 6' 3", sat in the back with the seat reclined and plenty of leg space.

Honu

lost on the mainland
had my car in the dealer the other day
so had some time to kick around and went and looked at the big 4 door crew max ? I guess thats the longer 4 door toyota tundra ? WOW the back leg room is inane huge !! I sat back their and felt like a front seat kinda leg room !

AxleIke

Adventurer
Uh, that looks pretty close to me. 4" is only 2" per side on the tundra vs the 5th gen runner.

Obviously the tundra isn't going to be a rock crawler in its stock form, but then neither with a 4runner, tacoma, or FJ cruiser. For regular wheeling to camp spots, fishing areas, etc...the tundra would require only a little bit more room than any of those other vehicles. At least out here in Colorado.

The dimensions aren't that close if you're referring to the current Tundra:

Width
4th Gen 4R: 73.8"
5th Gen 4R: 75.8"
Tacoma: 74.6"
Tundra: 79.9"

Length
4th Gen 4R: 189"
5th Gen 4R: 189.9"
Tacoma DCSB: 208.1"
Tundra DC: 228.7"

Weight
4th Gen 4R: 4280 lb
5th Gen 4R: 4400 lb
Tacoma DCSB: 4155 lb
Tundra DC: 5460 lb

I've also considered getting rid of my Tacoma for a Tundra, as the size of the 4WC it can hold would be more useful, but I simply can't get past its massive size. The size of the previous generation Tundra would be ideal, but I don't want to buy a used vehicle.

Radio

Observer
Funny, I'm looking at the same thing. Sell the 4runner and get a Tundra. The Tundra seems plenty capable offroad, and no wider than the 4th and 5th gen runners. And not much difference in length than the tacomas.

I'd like to have the tundra for camping and mild wheeling trips, and tow a purpose built rig for trail running/actual wheeling. THat, and the Tundra Crew max looks to have a much larger back seat than my 99 4runner. Besides, it seems that mileage is a wash on all of them. The 4runner gets 17 usually, but can be in the 15 range. If the Tundra can come close to that, I'd be happy.

I'll be watching this thread to see what you decide, and what your opinions are of the new tundra.

Well, I went with the Tundra Crewmax. Wow, what a truck. What power... the truck came with the TRD exhaust and CAI, it just burbles. When you step on the accelerator, it just goes. Living on the prairies, we get ALOT of wind... driving to pick my wife up from work (50 km one way through the prairie, out at CFB Suffield), the wind was howling. In my FJ, you could tell the engine was working; the Tundra barely noticed the wind! Never mind the power difference and the fact that this was the Tundra's maiden voyage...

I did alot of thinking, and read most of the comments here before I pulled the trigger. I did a frank evaluation of my needs, and the Tundra just fit the specs better. The most I will do it moderate off-road trail driving (once or twice a year), alot of back roads etc (fishing/camping) and for work as a civil construction inspector (heavy earth moving, road building, survey etc.) the Tundra will just be a champ. For towing our little trailer and piling 2 kids, 3 dogs, wife and camping "supplies", the room will be appreciated. The FJ did all that, I believe the Tundra can do it better.

I will miss my trusted FJ. We've had plenty of good adventures together; she's seen me and the family through many bad weather driving exercises, camping trips, wheeling and just plain day to day operations. The FJ has introduced me to new people, flavours and ways of looking at things (even finding the Expo portal was a result of my love affair with the FJ...) That love I had for the FJ, adventure and expo travel will live on strong with the Tundra and influence the build of this rig.

As for trail clearance issues and such, no competition. The FJ is the smaller of the two and will squeeze places the Tundra can't, but, this very, very rarely comes up. However, the Tundra will be able to follow the FJ in all the places I've ever gone.

Yeah, the Tundra is a very nice, deluxe solution to my requirements for a good truck. I am very, very fortunate that God has blessed me with the resources and ability to acquire such a beautiful truck. I also appreciate all the different comments and ideas on this board, as it gave me different things to think about.
I look forward to sharing my build and adventures with you all; and even meeting more of you!

Cheers,
Ray

blair_tundra

Congrats on the new Tundra. Any mods planned? I promised my wife no mods until my Tundra was out of warranty, but I couldn't resist the temptation of throwing some Bilstein 5100s to level the truck out. Now it looks great even with the stock michelins and rides/drives much better.

targa88

Explorer
Ray,
Congrats on the new Tundra. Buddy of mine has one to tow his 34' trailer. Comfy with plent of power.

Sorry to see the FJC go. Stay in touch
Cheers

Honu

lost on the mainland
Rumor has it, that the Crew Max will get a 6' bed when the 3rd generation comes out.

View attachment 108233

nice looking truck :) any info on suspension or tire size etc.. ? or was that just a pic ya grabbed ?

I dont want to give up my FJ so keep thinking get a tundra or get a Sequoia ? part of me like a pickup for a few things and part of me likes a SUV for a few things ?

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
You are going to love your Tundra. Yeah, some will say that it is too big on the trails, however, all platforms have a few drawbacks. The iForce V8 loves to be on the highway. I barely know that I am towing my Sherpa II, and I get better gas mileage towing when compared to my old 3rd generation 4runner.

IMG_0279.jpg

Welcome to the Tundra family...

Regards,

BWJ

AxleIke

Adventurer
Aw man, I'm Jealous. Post up a picture. The crewmax is exactly what I want. Set it up for camping, fishing, etc... and use it to tow the buggy for real wheeling. Best of both worlds.

I've been doing some reading, and is it true that the SC'd 5.7 can put down 500 hp at the crank? If so, that's what I'm going to look for. That puts it a bit above other trucks in its class. Anyone have an SC'd 5.7?

Well, I went with the Tundra Crewmax. Wow, what a truck. What power... the truck came with the TRD exhaust and CAI, it just burbles. When you step on the accelerator, it just goes. Living on the prairies, we get ALOT of wind... driving to pick my wife up from work (50 km one way through the prairie, out at CFB Suffield), the wind was howling. In my FJ, you could tell the engine was working; the Tundra barely noticed the wind! Never mind the power difference and the fact that this was the Tundra's maiden voyage...

I did alot of thinking, and read most of the comments here before I pulled the trigger. I did a frank evaluation of my needs, and the Tundra just fit the specs better. The most I will do it moderate off-road trail driving (once or twice a year), alot of back roads etc (fishing/camping) and for work as a civil construction inspector (heavy earth moving, road building, survey etc.) the Tundra will just be a champ. For towing our little trailer and piling 2 kids, 3 dogs, wife and camping "supplies", the room will be appreciated. The FJ did all that, I believe the Tundra can do it better.

I will miss my trusted FJ. We've had plenty of good adventures together; she's seen me and the family through many bad weather driving exercises, camping trips, wheeling and just plain day to day operations. The FJ has introduced me to new people, flavours and ways of looking at things (even finding the Expo portal was a result of my love affair with the FJ...) That love I had for the FJ, adventure and expo travel will live on strong with the Tundra and influence the build of this rig.

As for trail clearance issues and such, no competition. The FJ is the smaller of the two and will squeeze places the Tundra can't, but, this very, very rarely comes up. However, the Tundra will be able to follow the FJ in all the places I've ever gone.

Yeah, the Tundra is a very nice, deluxe solution to my requirements for a good truck. I am very, very fortunate that God has blessed me with the resources and ability to acquire such a beautiful truck. I also appreciate all the different comments and ideas on this board, as it gave me different things to think about.
I look forward to sharing my build and adventures with you all; and even meeting more of you!

Cheers,
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg