Thinnest packed RTT?

Javelinadave

Adventurer
I have exactly 12" from the top of my rig's exocage to the top of the garage door and would like to keep a RTT installed. Two easy questions....
1) Does anybody make a RTT the closed measures 12" or less?
2) Anybody just remove the ladder after folding up their folder RTT?

lugueto

Adventurer
I've had a few tents and had similar clearance issues. Yes you can store the tent sans ladder.

Two of those tents we're taller than the height limit, so everytime I installed them - which would be a few days before a trip, afterwards I remove it again- I would do so without the ladder. On one of them I removed the ladder completely, the other I simply removed the lower section (which slides right off)

On the one I have right now, the ladder is stored in two sections, one to the side of the other instead of on top of the other. This gives me about 1.5in of clearance so I can safely enter the garage without hitting the ceiling. It is tight, if I brake when passing the entrance I can hit the ceiling, but I can get through no problem.

If budget is not an issue, I believe hard shell tents are of a much lower profile than folding tents, which are the only ones I've used so far..

JDaPP

Adventurer
You might look at alu-cab. There website says 9.85" but I am not sure how accurate that is as I don't have one. I would be interested in what you find.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The James Baroud Vision is what I would also suggest for a thin packing soft shell. The Alu Cab Expedition 3 RTT is also less than 12" closed as a hard shell option. The James Baroud hard shell tents are going to push your limits at 13" closed

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I think you will have a little more room than you thought. You probably measured the door opening and then measured to the top of your rig. What you will want to do is put your rig in the doorway and then measure from the top of it to the top of the door. Why? It is geometry. You should have another inch or two.

Box Rocket

The Tepui Ayer is slightly more compact than other Tepui tents. It's 11" tall (without the ladder and rails), 12" with just the rails. So to fit what you need you'd need to remove the ladder. I've seen several people who do that. Tepui also sells quick release brackets for the ladders if this option interests you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad