Thoughts for an Overlander in today's market? Suggestions?

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
If buying used, go rural. Get away from the big cities (SLC, Denver etc al) and be willing to drive/fly out. 50k is a healthy budget, plenty of great trucks and SUVs out there. Even in the bigger markets pricing on used has come down a bunch especially for vehicles with good mods that you would want. Most aren't recouping the thousands of bucks they pumped into their rigs. I love the ZR2s for mid size but I agree the Frontiers are smoking deals right now.

Just know that payload on these little trucks are really low. Would you consider going up a level to full size? Not full 3/4 ton but half ton? I've seen some really nice F150s and Ram 1500s lately.

TwinStick

Explorer
Yup, desert boss is a lot of money for a light duty push bar & lights. Much rather have the Bison package. But I'll be honest, I can't imagine what the fuel economy is on the Bison because so far we are only getting 11.9 on our regular ZR2. I have only got into the turbo 1x for about 4 seconds. Bigger tires, lower gears, skid plates and jounce shocks is not a recipe for double digit mpg. Lol

phsycle

Adventurer
I’m not being facetious but given the criteria:
- Not rock crawling but “reasonable” 4wd trails
- Pulling a 2k lb trailer
- Decent MPG (>14mpg) highway

I’m trying to think of a vehicle that will NOT work. Anything from a Subaru Forester to Honda Passport to a Bronco to a 4Runner. Or any of the midsize trucks.

utherjorge

Observer
The local Ford dealer is swimming in Broncos. 8 under 52k at this point. There is also a Raptor at about 100k. On the lower cost window stickers, I do not see any ADM.

Florida Native

I’m trying to think of a vehicle that will NOT work. Anything from a Subaru Forester to Honda Passport to a Bronco to a 4Runner. Or any of the midsize trucks.

Yeah, was thinking Honda Ridgeline myself. Can’t beat it for long highway miles and low cost of ownership.

-Mike

TwinStick

Explorer
As the new owner of a 23' ZR2 Colorado my initial impressions : @ 1000 miles, 500 of those towing our enclosed utility trailer with a futon and a large chair.

Comfort is great, didn't even know the trailer was there, power was plenty, Bose stereo system sounds great.

Fuel economy is bad. 11.3 towing and 12.3 empty. Fender flares are pulling away from body, fuel comes out of filler neck every time I have filled up, 5x, roof flexes badly from air at car wash. Love the truck and will return to dealer for those issues. Hopefully they can/will be rectified. Truck really drives great. Plenty of power. Wish we could have afforded the Bison edition.

MisterNoisy

This screams 'Colorado Trail Boss' to me honestly. Plenty of clearance, looks cool, the G80 autolocker out back and saves you a cool $10K vs a ZR2 if you can go easy on the options.

I lucked into my ZR2 being one that someone ordered from a local dealer as a zero-option truck (which is what I was looking for) but wasn't able to make the math work when it came time to sign papers.

Also, @TwinStick, sorry to hear you're having all those problems - I dealt with the fender flares (basically use a T15 Torx to loosen a few screws holding the fender liner and you can get them to clip back in), but haven't had any of the other issues you've mentioned and am getting right around the EPA 16MPG in mostly in-town driving. On highways, I average around 19-20 but I'm driving 70mph or so then. I agree that for a leaf-sprung truck that's jacked up and weighs two and a half tons, it drives pretty nicely tho.

Last edited:

Mrbad

Not trying to hijack OP post but there’s a lot good information here.

What are everyone’s thoughts on a 2018-2020 Colorado bison ? Diesel or gas? What about a raptor? I’ve always wanted a tundra but these Colorados and such are growing on me.

Last edited:

llamalander

I noticed that the Australian D40 Frontier (Navarra) has the same payload there as it does here. Not only does it spin the other direction, but thats also in Kg, not pounds, 1065-1122kg = 2348-2474lbs! Can't say there's no difference between the Stateside and Ozzy models mechanically, but that's not a rounding error--

With an ARB set of shocks and springs, I don't mind going over the GVWR, keeping in mind what that asks of the breaks. The engine, transmission and breaks are all much improved in the D41 (current model), so the fact that the payload is basically unchanged is pretty odd. I'm curious if that will stay the same when there is no longer a Titan to compare it to-

Last edited:
I too am interested in why the Frontier payload is so low. You may be on to something with the Titan "competition." I've asked on the Frontier forum if there might be a marginal component that limits the payload but no ideas. Mostly kids interested in their lighting.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues