Tiger Truck anyone?

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
I came across a notice that this Chinese truck (http://www.tigertruck.com) is to be built in Texas. Then I got thinking about it as the basis of an expedition vehicle as one model has a payload of 3300#s. Then I noticed that it has 58HP.

It is being marketed as an OHV only, though the website says it is certified by CARB/EPA and has done the frontal crash tests.

Oh yeah and they start at $13K

Last edited:

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I think they meant "off-road truck with 58hp" to pass crash test. That's a SMALL truck!!

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I used to see little trucks like that all over the place in Korea. They are street legal there, though I don't think they can go on the expressways (like you'd want to with 58hp! My motorcycle has more HP than that!)

The term "off road" is a little misleading. I'm sure what they mean is "not licensed for use on public streets or highways." They are like the little trucks you see on college campuses, golf courses, public parks, shopping malls, etc. They can't go on public streets because they don't meet safety/emissions standards but for the small areas they're used on, they're fine. They also have tiny wheels - like 12" or 13" rims. Very odd looking.

PS: Interesting logo, eh? I assume these are the guys that Toyota took to court for trademark infringement (and won!)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Oh, yeah, did you see the little 4x4? Only thing is, that t-case hangs way low - so low the driveshafts are paralell to the ground! :yikes:

But they also have a cute little van, and the van is available with the 4x4 drivetrain. If gas hits $4/gallon these things could start to look more attractive, if only they were road-legal. I'm guessing with no air bags they can't be made road legal, though.

J_L

Observer
Those remind me of the first Subaru "trucks" that were imported in the late 60's. One of the selling points was that they were useable as golf carts!

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Hehe, I would reconsider thinking about a Tiger truck...

Jack Bowen of Jones Motors delivers a truckload of Tiger Star vans to Plant Facilities and Services. The fuel-efficient small trucks are not classified as "vehicles" and are helping PFS meet an Energy Department directive to reduce the size and gas consumption of its vehicle fleet. These Tigers have a top speed of about 22 mph, so drivers at Argonne-East should be aware when approaching the slow-moving Tigers on the roadways.

22mph top speed won't get you any where fast! :victory:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
We used to run little Dihatsu trucks like that for the beverage carts on the golf course I worked at. Kinda uncomfortable for a larger person, but a kick in the pants to drive. The girls had no trouble driving them, or being comfortable in them.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
There is a similar truck available in Canada. They are used (15 years old or older) being imported, from Japan:

600CIMG4467.jpg

600CIMG4470.jpg

This is a 1990 Suzuki 4WD Carry Truck - 4x4 with diff lock, and street legal. I don't know the top speed, but I am pretty sure it is more than 22mph!!

http://www.luxuryimports.ca/forsale/1990Suzuki4WD-1/index.php

Cheers
Mark

fisher205

Explorer
That's a Kei truck. We can get them imported here also. Honda, Daihtso, Subaru, Mitsubishi, all make them. I was checking into putting Mattrax on them, and using them as x country groomer.
You can get them w/ front axle locks also. They will run around 55 mph, but I think the new ones have speed limiters when imported in the US. Also are RHD. - Brad

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
We're seeing an influx of those trucks coming into Canada from Japan. It seems like everywhere you go you see another right hand drive. Lots and lots of Patrols and Land Cruisers too - if it was left hand drive I would buy one in a heartbeat - can't get over the wrong side thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal