Time to replace the xtracab, no idea what to get

sgiandubh

Observer
I ran into the exact same issue, Except I ran out of room in a 2nd gen Tacoma double cab. We have 1 daughter as well and even with the back seat, and the fact that the 2nd gen is roomier than earlier Tacomas, it was quickly apparent that with all of the kiddo paraphernalia and camping gear that the Taco wasn't a long-term solution. We accomplished a few trips in that truck, even a 10 day stint in Canyonlands and Arches. But it was really tight and I knew that we were either going to have to get serious about modifications specific to storage or we needed a larger rig. I toyed with the idea of a bed rack and drawer system and almost went that route. However, as has been mentioned, they only face backwards for a few years and you can't escape little kicking feet against your seat in the Tacoma. I was really tempted by the Trail Edition 5th gen 'Runners, but as you mentioned the price gave me pause.

We looked at 4Runners, Sequoias (quickly dismissed that as an option due to similar aftermarket concerns as the Tahoe), DC Tundras and 100 Series Landcruisers. I should have driven a GX470 as they look to be a fantastic option. However, I don't like the huge swingout door in the rear, but a minor thing since you get the 5spd auto and coilover suspension. The drop down tailgate on the 100 does make for a great work, changing, eating surface. We decided on the 100 and couldn't be happier. After some searching I found a local '99 model with factory locker for $9,400 with 170k on the clock. Bumping that budget closer to $20k can get you in ~100 miles and the '03 up with the 5spd auto. I have no issues with my 4spd. The truck has been stone reliable and with no mods other than 285/75r16 KM2s, it conveys us in comfort as a daily driver and has gone absolutely anywhere I have pointed it. 10 days and ~400 miles of dirt through Grandstaircase Escalante, St. George and the North Rim was a dream. Aired down to 15 psi and with factory shocks the ride was excellent - although Hole in the Rock Road exposed the factory shocks resulting in Icons being added to the short list. We recently did a day trip through the Monticello Box Canyon and my wife continues to be impressed with the room and comfort of the Hundy, especially considering how well it works off-road.

The 2UZ puts out acceptable power and even tows adequately. It feels considerably more powerful than my buddies 2003 Tacoma with the 3.4 even with the greater bulk and 285's. Loaded with camping gear and towing a 1500 lb trailer for a recent hunting trip I returned 12.2 mpg and return a consistent 14 in mixed daily driving. Offroad my mileage has ranged from 6 mpg (almost exclusively in 4low) to 11. Before the KM2s the mixed driving number was 16 - 16.5 and one incredible tank of 22.6 cruising at 55 coming back from Red River, NM.

The downside of our truck is lack of built in child seat attachments, torsion bar suspension, and fuel economy. Using a seatbelt adequately secures our daughters carseat and I am not sure what year the arrived, but later models have the built in attachment points. The torsion bar suspension rides amazingly well both on and off-road but I wish I had the ability to fine-tune a the front with a coilover. Fuel economy is not the greatest and drops quickly as you load it. However, given the high level of off-road capability in factory trim, interior comfort and room, I can live with the low mpg.

The biggest selling point for me, and the reason that a 100 series will likely always reside in our driveway, is that my wife loves it. I have had dedicated offroad rigs in the past that she would not drive and disliked riding in due to vibes, noise and generally poor on-road performance. I am yet to be in a circumstance that I have been turned aside due to the 100's capability (or lack of it) and while I still drool over solid axle rigs with full armor, I am not convinced that it is necessary for any overlanding or exploration type off-road endeavor. I certainly am not inclined to sacrifice ride, cabin comfort and reliability in that pursuit.

Sorry for the novel, but can you tell? We love our 100! Good luck with your search and I am excited to see others getting their children involved in the outdoors early.

IMG_3760.jpg

oliverlove

Adventurer
Guys thanks for all the input! After reading through countless consumer reports I am DEFF staying in the Toyota family. We are still looking, and value everyones input!!

oliverlove

Adventurer
image.jpg

So... I found the replacement!! It's been a while since my first post but I know this gets asked quite a bit so many be this will help others.

I looked at sequoias, gx470s, Discoveries, Lr3s and 4s, tundras ano tacomas. I almost bought a suburban but the lack of headroom scratched it off the list. Most of the vehicles I listed would have fulfilled the role I needed but for a variety of reasons none of them quite fit. Sometimes it was cost, sometimes it was the lack of driver and passenger comfort, and sometimes it was the look on my wife's face.

My wife and I were driving by a bmw dealership on a sat afternoon and I practically wrecked her car trying to see what was sitting in the back row. This beauty was tucked between 2 minivans and to be honest I didn't have any idea what it was. It looked like a Toyota so I went back. 2 days later I brought her home.

2000 lx470
110,000 miles
Insane radar detector system
Original upgraded sound system
3rd row seating
$10k

My wife and I are beyond happy with it!

Last edited:

oliverlove

Adventurer
Two days after buying it, a short notice business trip came up. I ended up towing a U haul trailer with over 2k of weight in it, and I carried a total of 7 adult men for 3,000 miles in 5 days. She towed like a dream and carried the guys in comfort. We did get lucky with two smaller guys that fit in the 3rd row, they did get a little uncomfortable in the longer stretches, but the rear A/C kept them cool at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues