Timing Belt & Valve stem seals '95 SR

Just getting ready to dive into the Timing belt/Valve Stem seal job on my '95 SR tonight. Any last-minute tips/advice? Anything is appreciated!

JBThompson

Adventurer
Just curious, where did you get your kit from? The OEM stuff is supposed to be better quality but our local Mitsu dealer closed a while back.

Just curious, where did you get your kit from? The OEM stuff is supposed to be better quality but our local Mitsu dealer closed a while back.

I went with everything OEM except for the Timing Belt, which is a Gates, and the Tensioner and Pulleys, which I believe are GMB? But all gaskets, valve stem seals, and water pump are OEM.

Thanks Jay! I've read through your thread many times. I won't be using this method, but I do admire how you did everything there. I'll be using the same style spring compression tool, but for keeping valve closed, I have a tool that will pressurize the cylinder via compressed air, and the opposing cylinder to hold pistons in place. I work at Toyota and it's used for one of the Tacoma Valve Spring recalls. Should work nicely. I got everything torn apart last night. Tonight I'm digging into the Valve stem seals. Wish me luck! :beer:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hey Traveler,
I was having a conversation with someone on the 3.5L engine about a month ago and he mentioned something about the bushings in the butterflies. I'm not sure what he is talking about because as far as I know, my 3.0L doesn't have butterfly valves. Do you know what my buddy was talking about. I think he even mentioned something about eliminating them.

Hey Traveler,
I was having a conversation with someone on the 3.5L engine about a month ago and he mentioned something about the bushings in the butterflies. I'm not sure what he is talking about because as far as I know, my 3.0L doesn't have butterfly valves. Do you know what my buddy was talking about. I think he even mentioned something about eliminating them.

Yes, I know little about it. Apparently the bushings can go bad and cause that whole thing to break and maybe cause the flaps to suck into the intake and do bad things. I don't know what deleting it would do to its performance?

Well, all went well with the repair other than a few things. Valve stem seals are a pain in the ***, I found that out. First night got everything torn apart. Timing cover off, crank pulley off, and cams out. I did damage the crank sensor plate that sits behind the Timing sprocket because we kind of had to pry on it to get the sprocket off. $50 for a small piece of stamped sheet metal. I was a little butthurt about that. The next night we dug into the valve stem seals. It took over 3 hours to just do the driver side 12 valves. The passenger side took half that time. There's a lot more room on the Passenger side (no brake booster). Then we got the cams back in and called it a night. Round 3, the puzzle began. Got it all back together and only had a couple bolts left over. Not bad I'd say, but we found out where they went. Started her up, and she sounded pretty good. Replaced a really noisy Alternator tensioner pulley and all drive belts, so it was a LOT quieter. Which revealed a pretty loud noticeable vacuum leak. Come to find out, the front bushing on the lower intake plenum for the butterfly valve shaft was the source of the leak. Which would explain the low idle, slight hesitation. Plus the shaft from that actuator had torn through the shaft lever. SO, I really don't want to spend the $400 on a new lower intake plenum from Mitsubishi. Anyone know of a remedy? Can you rebuild with different bushings?

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hey Traveler,
I'm just now noticing where you are located. What a funny coincidence huh? Hey, I think that is what I was talking about the other day in this thread. I was talking to JohnnyBfromPeoria about this a few months ago and that was the first I had ever heard of it. Evidently one can simply eliminate the valves but I'm not an expert with the Gen II rigs. I've only owned one of them in my life and I did a complete engine overhaul but never did mess with the butterfly valves.

Hey Traveler,
I'm just now noticing where you are located. What a funny coincidence huh? Hey, I think that is what I was talking about the other day in this thread. I was talking to JohnnyBfromPeoria about this a few months ago and that was the first I had ever heard of it. Evidently one can simply eliminate the valves but I'm not an expert with the Gen II rigs. I've only owned one of them in my life and I did a complete engine overhaul but never did mess with the butterfly valves.

Oh yeah. That's Funny. I'm actually in Oregon City. Where abouts are you? I'm going to find a price on a used one, and see if I can get some different bushings in there. I'm sure there's somebody that has done it before.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I'm in Hillsboro. I'll send you my mobile number in a PM so we can connect sometime. JohnnyB said something about metal bushings IIRC.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach