Tim's Tacoma Build

MojaveMafia

mojavemafiataco-0000.jpg

Hay everyone! My name is Tim and this is my 2015 Toyota Tacoma. I'm an experienced outdoorsman, and have been involved in desert racing for the last 20 years. My need for speed is mellowing with age, and I'm finding myself more interested in things like camping and exploring, things an expedition type vehicle is better suited to do than a prerunner. With that in mind I picked up this Tacoma last march. I haven't done much to it yet but that's about to change, so I figured now is a good time to start a build thread.

I ordered the truck through my credit union so I got the features I wanted, specifically 4WD, manual, access cab, & the TRD Off-Road package (for the locker). This is the night I picked it up. Mar. 2015
mojavemafiataco-0001.jpg

Shortly after was it's first highway trip to see my friend Rob at RJ Fabrication in Hesperia CA. Apr. 2015
mojavemafiataco-0002.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0002a.jpg

Then my wife an I took a day trip out to the Southern California Logistics Airport for our 5th anniversary, some dirt miles, sunset photos, and dinner at Steak 'n Shake. Apr. 2015
mojavemafiataco-0003.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0003b.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0003a.jpg

My first camping trip to Cougar Buttes, took a tent but is was so windy I spend both nights in the cab. Apr. 2015
mojavemafiataco-0004.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0004a.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0004b.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0004c.jpg

Exploring the Ord Mountain Route Network on my own. May 2015
mojavemafiataco-0005.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0005a.jpg

A night run to Barstow to shoot photos for the race team's new light sponsor.
mojavemafiataco-0006.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0006a.jpg

Spectating at the MORE Power Puff Race Towards a Cure. This is also where the panorama at the top of the post was taken. Oct 2015
mojavemafiataco-0009.jpg

mojavemafiataco-0008.jpg

A couple of mods.

Ram Mount no drill laptop base (RAM-VB-138-SW1), and quick release (RAM-VB-REM1). This works ok with the iPad so long as there is no one in the passenger seat. I use it mostly for the GPS when chasing or spectating at off-road races... or watching the Cowboys, GO POKES!. You can also see the WeatherTech FloorLiner.
mojavemafiataco-0007.jpg

At Offroad Expo I picked up a 4 pack of Mac's VersaTie anchor plate and tie down ring kits to keep my cooler's in place. I am very impressed with the quality and functionality of these, I will be buying more.
mojavemafiataco-0010.jpg

Stay tuned for more significant updates this month from Total Chaos, King Shocks, and Tepui Tents.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Sweet truck,

Love the Access Cabs,

I have a BDI Extreme Tech Deck but am just hesitant about mounting my iPad Air 2 onto it, I mean it's not going anywhere and the iPad Air 2s
are lighter then the older ones but the leverage when bouncing around and such has me a bit hesitant. I am not sure I want to invest the funds for the RAM option but it looks Mega Sturdy bolting
onto the seat frame mount bolts.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
How much leg room do you lose with the RAM mount? I had the RAM mount in my Jeep and have a Tacoma now. I want to change out the base to have it fit in the Tacoma. I lost a little bit of leg room in the Jeep but not too bad. Just curious how much room you get with the Tacoma.

MojaveMafia

Thanks shadow61

Greenbean, I just picked up the BDI Extreme Tech Deck and Clearview-Rearview. They're not installed yet but I am impressed with the quality. I might buy a Mini 4 for the truck if I think I can use it on the ETD. The truck is a manual so having the shifter there complicates things a bit, not enough that I would give up the manual, but I can't mount anything too close. I use MotionX GPS HD now but I want to take a look at LeadNav soon to see how that compares. I'm also thinking about connecting the ETD to the current Ram Mount arm to keep it from wobbling so much.

Yulli I'l try to take some measurements and photos tomorrow for you, the trucks out getting the TC uppers and King shocks installed now.

aaol1

How much leg room do you lose with the RAM mount? I had the RAM mount in my Jeep and have a Tacoma now. I want to change out the base to have it fit in the Tacoma. I lost a little bit of leg room in the Jeep but not too bad. Just curious how much room you get with the Tacoma.

its really not that bad, i have the mount attached on the internal ( away from door) passenger seat rail bolt, with the arm coming up to the right of my shifet ( auto). never heard any complaints from passengers, and i have myself sat there with more than enough room hope this helps

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
its really not that bad, i have the mount attached on the internal ( away from door) passenger seat rail bolt, with the arm coming up to the right of my shifet ( auto). never heard any complaints from passengers, and i have myself sat there with more than enough room hope this helps

How far can you bring the passenger seat forward? I have a car seat for the little one that I set up behind the passenger seat and I can't go back too far or the car seat won't fit. I don't wanna install it and the seat has to go forward some and the mount be in the way.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Any chance you could get a pic or 2 of how the mount is set up in your truck? I know it how it works. Just want to see what kind of room you're working with on the passenger side and how much room is left for a passenger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven