Tire advice needed: Cooper Discovery AT3 on LJ

ArtC2

Explorer
After reading the Overland Journal tire review, expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3, LT 315 /75R16 tires for my 2006 LJ to replace 8 year old 35" Goodyear Wranglers. My concern is that the Coopers are load range E which means the sidewalls are going to be pretty stiff. My jeep weighs about 5,000 loaded which is still way under what these tires are rated for. Is anyone running a similar configuration?

The Wranglers worked great off road but they have become way too loud on the road and they are next to impossible to balance when they get older.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

outback97

Adventurer
I have been very pleased with the AT3's in 285/75/16 on our Xterra. It's heavier than an LJ but we travel pretty light so I know we haven't been much over 5000# loaded.

I run 35-40 PSI on the highway and lowering to 25-30 softens things up noticeably when off the pavement. I have not found them to be too stiff.

ArtC2

Explorer
Thank you both. For the load table I am OK weight wise i just wanted to avoid the being too stiff.

Art

davisi

I was talking to a worker at a Discount Tire not long ago. He said that Cooper is phasing them out and that replacements are hard to come by for them. Their warehouses aren't acquiring them anymore.

I guess my point is that if you're prone to riddling your tires with nails, like me :(, it might be a good idea to get a newer design tire.

piratenation90

Adventurer
Nowadays every 315 75 16 tire I have seen is load rating E. If you want D load rating you have to go with the 15 inch wheel and 35 12.50 15 tire. If you want a soft ride take a close look at the ply rating, less ply's usually means that there is more give in the sidewall thus making a smother ride. Be very aware that a low ply rating also can means that they will be easier to puncture. Also the type tire you go with makes a big difference. When I first bought my LJ I went with Kumho MT's because I had them on my last wrangler and really liked them. They were what I would call a mud terrain with no side lugs so there were a lot quieter than most mud terrains. I recently switched to BFG KO2's and now the ride is so much smoother. Both tires had a 10-ply sidewall but the BFG's are just made better.

Riley

Observer
While my vehicle is not a Jeep, I just put 265/75/15 on a 93 F150. Had Firestone Destinations on previously.

Check Discount Tire's ebay store for occasional deals. I ended up with a rebate card from Cooper and an immediate Ebay discount.

The date code on my tires was from February and I received them mid March so fresh off the presses so to speak.

Love em so far.

TxJprs

Observer
I recently switched from Mickey Thompson 315/70r17 d-rated Atzp3 to BFG KO2 e-rated in 35x12.50r17 on my 2015 JKUR. I am very happy with the ride quality. It's improved a lot actually. I run about 29 psi in both. I think if that tire review was run again now with the ko2 you'd see different results.

ArtC2

Explorer
Thanks everyone, I will let you know how it works out.

Art

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KLT88YJ

Observer
The Cooper AT3 's are a phenomenal tire! I put a set on my wife's Commander. They're now 2 years old, and have seen every condition. In fact, they handle great in the rain. I've had them down washboard gravel roads and through blizzard snow conditions. I would recommend this tire to anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeep

Adventurer
I run a '05 LJR, and I share the same concerns with E-rated tires. Recently I went with Cooper Discoverer ST's in 255/85/16D
They are just a tad skinnyer than the 245/75/16E GY MTR's they replaced. Running much quieter,and smoother, and still have a aggressive off-road composer to them.
Hope that helps. Zeep

MOguy

Explorer
After reading the Overland Journal tire review, expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3, LT 315 /75R16 tires for my 2006 LJ to replace 8 year old 35" Goodyear Wranglers. My concern is that the Coopers are load range E which means the sidewalls are going to be pretty stiff. My jeep weighs about 5,000 loaded which is still way under what these tires are rated for. Is anyone running a similar configuration?

The Wranglers worked great off road but they have become way too loud on the road and they are next to impossible to balance when they get older.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

When the Jeep Rubicon first came out it had E rated MTRs on it. Most people did not like them. They road ruff and even when aired down they did not conform well to the terrain. The LJ is a little heavier but not that much.

I wouldn't buy them.

2004 lb7

If you drive in snow at all get a tire with the snowflake symbol. The AT3 is a great 3 season tire. I've had AT3s On our Suburban and my Tundra which I use for plowing. Never again will I go without a snowflake tire! I put KO2s on our Unlimited just before our blizzard and all I can say is they blow the AT3s away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk