Tire advice needed: Cooper Discovery AT3 on LJ

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I was talking to a worker at a Discount Tire not long ago. He said that Cooper is phasing them out and that replacements are hard to come by for them. Their warehouses aren't acquiring them anymore.

I guess my point is that if you're prone to riddling your tires with nails, like me :(, it might be a good idea to get a newer design tire.

You have to be careful with Discount Tire, they carry a version of the AT3 called the ATP. It is the exact same tire, just built for the DTW distro system. When a Discount employee says they are phasing out that tire, they are not going to carry the AT3 they WILL carry the ATP. I ran into this with some Falkens with them, the Rocky Mount was the same tire as the Wild Peak. They didnt have Wild Peaks, and couldnt get them, but had plenty of Rocky Mounts.

I have the Cooper ATP in a 285/75 16. My rig is in excess of 6K (80 Series Cruiser with bumpers, roof rack etc) and it rides SOOO much better than with the Falkens or the BFGs that preceded them. They are dead silent on road, the traction is phenomenal on and off road thus far.

boykinjw

Art
I run the Cooper AT ST Maxx in 245/75/16 on my 1999 XJ. They are load range E and I run them at 38lbs around town and have had them down to 12lbs on the trail. No issues and I love them, I run a OME lift ehich I think rides pretty well. I had stock highway tires before these and I was pleasantly surprised with the ride of the coopers.

I have full skids and recovery bumpers with a winch. Ive never weighed the XJ so Im not sure how it stacks up to your jeep.

ArtC2

Explorer
Update

I had the Coopers installed today and took them for a drive. The tires are MUCH quieter and they track much better on the freeway. The stiffness of E rated sidewalls is not an issue and the ride if anything is better than before. Now I need to work on the exhaust drone which is much more noticeable! I will be in Moab at the end of the month and will have a better idea how they work off road.

The only down side iso far s that they do not look nearly as aggressive MTR's did.

IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG
IMG_2316.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3