tire fitment

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Ok folks, what is your opinion, can I go 235/85/16s on my Zuk.

Here is a shot with 245/75/16s ... 1.5 inches from tire to rock slider in back, 2-inches in front. Tires are Goodyear MTRs worn about 70 to 80 percent.

Specs for both sizes are as follows: 245/75/16 is 30.7 inches tall. 235/85/16 is 31.9 inches tall. So, 1.2 inches difference, basically half an inch clearance to worry about, but half an inch narrower so what little rubbing I have currently will go away. And on my little guy, .6 inches helps offroad ..

I think I'd be fine, but want to see what others think in case I'm overlooking something. I'll get a test fit to be sure ...

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 52

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Well, 10mm is only .39 inches.

With the 245 tire you're gaining .39 width vs. gaining 1.2 inches in height with the 235.

I would question if .39 width would improve off road handling or would 1.2 inches in height be more of an asset?

Me? I would go w/ a taller tire. :smiley_drive:

jeffryscott

I want taller, which is why I want the 235s ... the math works out that they should fit, just wondering what, if anything, I'm overlooking ...

thanks,

Jeff

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jeff, I say go with the 235's. I think with your Zuk, a taller, narrower tire would work better overall. Plus, I think a 32" tire on a Vitara would be hella sweet:victory:

Scott Brady

Founder
I really like the 235/85 idea. I think the biggest challenge will be gearing/5th gear on the highway.

A smaller, light vehicle will really benefit from the narrower width.

jeffryscott

alas, the fit didn't go so well this a.m. - unless I only drove in a straight line, then everything would be fine.

Here is a picture, you can see how it is just catching the edge of the tire by where the dirt is (when turned). I could do two things to make it fit - trim the slider and the wheel well (.5 inches would probably be fine - or get an expensive lift kit ( http://www.puresuzuki.com/2.5 Lift.htm ). I like the lift, but wish I could get it without springs/shocks/struts as what I have is much better.

Hmmm, now what? decisions, decisions. The tires (BFG AT's) looked so sweet ...

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 56

bootzilla

Adventurer
That's a fancy lift kit! Looking at your picture, I was thinking that it would take a sizeable lift to get you in the clear, but 2 1/2 inches should do it - those pics on the Calmini site look pretty cool, too - your rig would look pretty mean jacked up with the 235's...

Now with a lift that big, are there CV concerns with the Zuk? I noticed that it comes with manual hubs...

Having listened to rocks slamming into the skid plate and lower control arms of my clearance-challenged Freelander, every inch of ground clearance counts.

Were you planning on lifting it at some point, anyways? Oh, and I guess the better question would be - have you found yourself limited in clearance by the tires you were currently running?

chet

island Explorer
don't you have some sort of a lift right now? I would get some OME struts and springs over the Calmini stuff. All of their kits ride really rough. Plus their customer service sucks!

Or you could put in a small 1" body lift and some slight trimming to make them fit.:jumping:

jeffryscott

I wouldn't be lifting it any more. I'd be modifying things with aftermarket parts.

The Calmini kit control arms move the wheels forward a bit, allowing more clearance at the back of the wheel well.

I would keep my current Old Man Emu struts and springs, and just use the control arms and diff-drop brackets and various other items.

I could probably sell the struts/springs/shocks on ebay for a few hundred to recoup some of my cost.

The Calmini kit would probably reduce some of the stress on the CVs.

Is it ever complete?

Thanks,

Jeff

jeffryscott

so here is a quick photoshop job of probably all the trimming I would need to do. I need to get inside the wheel well to make sure there is nothing else, but I think trimming would be the way to go. I'm spending way too much time on this ...

Attachments

• IMG_0191 smchopped.jpg
    IMG_0191 smchopped.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 29

erin

Explorer
:coffee:
From what I saw a couple of weekends ago, I wouldn't lift it anymore either, just clearance everything till those tires fit and you'll be golden.

That little Zuk of yours was damn impressive! :bowdown:

jeffryscott

Well, all the fretting over 1/2-inch additional clearance was for not. I went with 245/75/16s MT's from PepBoys ($595 for 4, mounted, balanced, road hazard ... etc and through Sept. 30 a $50 rebate for a gift card).

The Definity MT's are made by Cooper. Are siped and from previous experience with their predecessor, the Enforcer MT, should hold up well. They are quiet on the highway, and from an outing this a.m. I was pleased with them off-road.

Still wish I could have fit the 235s, but the cutting and body modification (i.e. big f'n hammer) weren't worth the small gain, or was a $1000 lift which would have given me what I already have, except for fancy blue control arms.

thanks guys, see you on the trail soon, I hope.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 58

erin

Explorer
Those look very good, I'm sure the slight difference in height won't really hinder you. They remind me of mini-crawlers from the looks of the tread blocks, very cool.

jeffryscott

Here are a few more pics of the new tires - plus a nice photo of a stock Sidekick I went out with the other day. You can certainly see the differences in the vehicles of modified versus stock - yet he had no troubles on the trail. Once again showing it is about driving skill as much or more as the vehicle.

Attachments

• DSC00866.jpg
    DSC00866.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00883.jpg
    DSC00883.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC00839.jpg
    DSC00839.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 53

Forum statistics

Threads