Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

G_fresh

Adventurer
I am trying to figure out an aftermarket TPMS solution for our U1300L Unimog. What I’d like is the current tire pressures for our 4 tires. I’d also like sensors for the two spares. So, six total sensors with only 4 being monitored at once.

I’d also like to have adjustable low and high pressure alarms and a high temp alarm. Some also have a slow leak detector.

There seem to be three different types of tire pressure sensors:

Internal, attached to valve stem:
- Con: If valve stem dies and I want to cut it and let it drop into the wheel, it seems that the sensor falls into the wheel. Sometimes one wants to do a new valve stem out in the field without debating the tire.
- Pros: many of these systems are available; better RF signal since antenna is part of the valve stem
FEE8828A-BC59-41C8-A0F0-8D058C7A0029.jpg

Internal, strapped to rim:
- Pro: can loose a valve stem, cut it, and still be running
- Con: I’ve read they don’t always get a good signal.
45696FCA-8D53-4204-AD40-4BA93B056465.jpg

External, screws onto valve stem (like a large cap):
- Pro: cheap, easy, and ubiquitous
- Cons: if the seal is bad to the valve stem, the tire can deflate; can be stolen; complicates airing up and down tires
18B05B4A-7B55-406F-AA51-625F98617BD9.jpg

I guess I’m leaning towards the Internal, strapped to rim variety. Anyone have any good recommendations? I tried calling Valor and no response yet. (http://www.valortpms.com)

Is my pro/con thinking incorrect above?

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

rayra

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of this one, especially as my Sub has (3) 12v sockets central in the dash already. Wouldn't have to do anything but plug it in.

attachment.php

YellowCow

Hi - have you ever decided on a TPMS? Thinking of getting one for my STEYR 12m18 and are concerned about:
- reception quality from rear tires (most are designed for smaller cars)
- size of the valve screw-on parts ( do they stick out and eventually get caught by something and rip of the valve)
- would like to also see temparature ( but i guess then you need a system installed inside the tire)

Superduty

Adventurer
I didn't even realize this was an option until seeing this thread. If I were to do such a system, I would like a rugged internal sensor that would then be displayed on my Android phone. I would also like the ability to know which sensor is sending the particular reading (numbered 1-4 or 5 if you have spare as well).

A replaceable battery would be nice as well.

Is anything out there that meets these criteria?

Thanks

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I was overjoyed to find that my newest old vehicles do not have automatic tire pressure monitoring!
I regularly air down to for added traction off road and I do not need some device telling me that my pressure is low or worse yet blinking lights or sounding alarms.
A glance at the tires while approaching the vehicle along with a tire pressure gauge (used judiciously twice per year) has sufficed for the last 50 years and will continue to work well until I stop driving.

(mini-rant done)
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I loved having the display tell me my aired-down pressure was dangerous.
Made me feel like I was rebelling against the system. :elkgrin:

I've been reading over on the RV forums in regards to aftermarket TPSM systems, some folks who have systems more than a year old have been running into issues. Some of the systems are the cheap screw on ones, but a couple of them where the higher end systems.
That has caused me to hold off until I can do some better research.
Nice thing about OEM is they have a liability factor. So the product is most likely well built, and should last until at least the day after the warranty expires.

Olbuford

Hi G_Fresh,
I realize the thread is from April but if you haven't decided on a Tpms system yet I would strongly recommend the band style sensors. I've been in the Tire business for years and and have not seen any difference between signal strength between different styles, only different brands. Ford has used band style sensors for many years and these are the least susceptible to damage for our style of driving as the only way they can ever be damaged is from actually mounting the Tire onto the rim or a major impact while the tire is flat. While installing this style is typically more expensive to install, it is the more hardy and as you already mentioned, you can still replace a stem if needed.

If you decide to go with a valve stem style sensor then avoid at all costs any of them with aluminum stems. These corrode very quickly and do not take well to the valve core being removed repeatedly as the aluminum threads can be easily stripped by the nickel core. I work and live near drive on beaches and every summer weekend we have at least 1 poor soul drive up with a spare mounted and a broken valve stem. This style also can corrode very quickly seizing the valve core and or the service nut. I have even seen where the corrosion is bad enough to split the service nut. If you are using a valve stem style system then insist on rubber stems only. These act just like a traditional valve stem and are in fact better as the brass core goes all the way through the stem into the wheel to where the sensor attaches. These stems are very difficult to tear off when striking an object and may actually bend before breaking. Rubber stems are the only way to go in my opinion. All that said, the stem style Tpms sensors are very easy to destroy if the valve stem is located near the bead of the tire and you are forced to drive any distance with 0 air pressure.

In the event of one is these failing in the field, I think it would be a royal pita but it is do-able. If you have the rubber stem you will need a small torx set. For the aluminum stems (please don't go this route) you'll need just a metric wrench the proper size.

External style are very simple but they do slightly lengthen the valvestem and have to cons to them. 1) They add additional weight to the end of the stem. When driving at highway speeds the stem flexes from centrifugal force if it is mounted at any angle. Over time this can cause the stem to crack at the rim and fail. 2) They operate with the valve core depressed which means that if the internal o-ring fails then you have a leak. This system is the least impact on your vehicle and easiest to add on but you may just want to add a valve stem check every time you check your tire pressure.

Anyways, hope this helps anyone considering adding an aftermarket Tpms system. Best regards and safe travels

DanyDog

What is a good band-type TPMS?
Needs to be aftermarket model as I have a Toyota, not Ford.
Would like to have a dash mounted display of actual real time tire pressures, or an iPhone app.

I was considering the ARB internal valve TPMS but noticed Amazon has several options which are much cheaper. Not sure about reliability difference ARB vs the others.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Olbuford

Well, I've been searching for any kits with the band sensors but looks like they're long gone now. I like the ARB stem cap kit better than aluminum stems but it looks like it might be a pita to air up (the locknut looks like it sits too far up the threads to get an air chuck on it easily). I don't have any experience with them and the write ups I read say absolutely nothing about putting air back in the tires. I just really hate the aluminum stems due to the corrosion and valve core problems I've seen and honestly I'm shocked that a company like ARB would use them over the rubber stem style.

DanyDog

I bought this kit from Amazon:

CATUO Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS With 4 Internal Sensors Large Clear LED Cigarette Lighter Plug Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725DFPL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fI2CAb95QKFZN

Way cheaper than the ARB kit.

Nice to know the pressure of all 4 tires in real time. Digital display plugs into cigarette lighter.

A couple times has let me know when pressure was too low in a tire after airing down with Stauns automatic deflators.

However the valve stems are rigid & fragile aluminum and stick out a bit more than stock. I already sheared one off while wheeling on a rocky trail, leaving me with a flat.

It sure would be nice to have a band-type aftermarket option with a similar digital display — if anybody knows of a good one, please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77