Tire Question: Carry over from Overland JK topic

kenallwine

Adventurer
Thanks for the input gang. I'll have to give this more thought when I get back from our three week trip. Got to get ready to head out Saturday.

i ran both a 35 and a 36 on a narrow wheel 7.5" all you really need to do is run a lil lower tire pressure so it dont crown the top of the tire and it will wear normal. also you have the advantage of the tire holdin a bead at a lower preasure than you do on a wider wheel.

kenallwine

Adventurer
Well, my initial plans were changed for me by my wife. I was showing her the G.C. spare wheels I was planning on getting and she said: "no your not! They are hideous!"

So, I'm searching for wheels that are acceptable to her....

So now I have to think about back spacing too. I found these that the boss is ok with:

17x8 with 4.5"B.S.
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/113347/113347-lg.jpg

I am also looking at the Wrangler Duratracs (315/70R17).

Last edited:

btz

Bringing back an older thread, but was hoping for some help.

4dr auto JK with a planned overlanding focus, looking at new rims/tires (just starting the work). Not sure on 33 vs 35. Definitely like the look of the 35's better, but when it comes to function over form am I loosing for an overlanding focus? I assumed yes until I came accross the original Overlander JK thread, but am now thinking 35's.

Also really like these rims, but was thinking black. Anyone ever take the leap on these and have any thoughts/pics? I'm hoping the black is matte!

Finnally, gearing. Unfortunately I think I'm in a position where I'm going to have to regear regardless. '09 Sahara, d44 rear with 3.73 gearing. Will even 33's require regearing? Also planning on a trailer ... my thinking is that with that on there regearing now becomes a given.

So if I have to regear just given the addition on a trailer and my unfortunate stock gearing ... do I go with 35's then, and what gearing makes the most sense?

Thanks for any help!

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
I was running 35x15.15's on my 4-door JK Rubicon, and decided to swap to 37s. I wanted to run the factor Rubicon rims again but they were 7.5" and like your thread mentioned it Okay to run them...but...
So I found a knock-off Rubicon rim available in 5x4.5, 16"x8" & 17"x8" Plus 5x5 lug 17"x8". It has a dish like the TJ Rubicon rims, the JK rims are almost flat. The back spacing on the stock JK Rubicon rim is 6.25", these are 4.75" So it gives you most offset with out spacers and still look like the original rims.

They come in Black, Charcoal gray and clear coated silver and machined finish, just like the OEM ones. The don't have that little lip on the outside edge of the rim though.

Mamba_MR1_MS.jpg

Stock Rim:
IMG_20110506_150557.jpg

New rim with no tire, stock rim with tire:
IMG_20110506_150624.jpg

IMG_20110506_150635.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven