Tire Question for 05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD

I3erto

I have searched around and can not seem to find a good answer. I need new tires on my truck but I can not decide on what size to get (I will either get Nitto Terra Grapplers or BFG ATs). My truck is stock and the stock tires are 265/70R16. Some of my friends seem to think that I should get 265/75R16 tires, and from their opinions and the forum I have deduced that they will fit and not rub if installed on the stock rims. What I am wondering is, will a little larger tire benefit me at all on a stock TRD truck or should I just stick w/ the stock size? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Most of the wheeling I do is down in baja looking for surf.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Indeed, they will fit fine on stock rims. You might have a little rubbing on the mudflap at full stuff, full lock, but it's negligible. We used MT/R's on the stock rims for most of a year with no problems at all. That changed with the MB Rockers - the most expensive set of "free" rims I ever got (traded for them straight across for the stock rims). Ended up needing a lift to clear the fenderwells, so Demello got a call...

The biggest benefit of going up to the 265/75-16 is that you can get a real tire, IE: LT rated vs. P, and there are a huge selection of tread patterns available. The only LT rated tire listed on Tires.com in the stock size is the BFG A/T.

Mark

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have BFG AT's, 265/75 on stock rims. No rubbing.
You gain a half inch of real clearance.
And your speedo will be right on target. (For some reason the speedometer is a bit off with stock tires)

slooowr6

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
And your speedo will be right on target. (For some reason the speedometer is a bit off with stock tires)

2nd that, with 265/75R16 Nitto TG the speedo is spot on verified against GPS.

265/75R16 is a good choice. If you don't carry too much weight a load range C will work nicely.

I3erto

Thanks for the feedback. I have heard good things about the BFGs and the Nittos. Any reason I should go with one over the other other than the Nittos are cheaper? Good to hear that both brands will fit with stock rims w/o any rubbing. I have a leer camper top and normally carry surf boards/gear, mt bikes, and/or camping equipment (I dont know if that is alot of weight or not). Should I go w/ a load range C or get something else?

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I3erto said:
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard good things about the BFGs and the Nittos. Any reason I should go with one over the other other than the Nittos are cheaper? Good to hear that both brands will fit with stock rims w/o any rubbing. I have a leer camper top and normally carry surf boards/gear, mt bikes, and/or camping equipment (I dont know if that is alot of weight or not). Should I go w/ a load range C or get something else?

BFG's have a stronger sidewall, so if you're going to be driving on sharp stuff, take that into consideration. Also, BFG is the only manufacturer that recommends airing down off-road (between the two companies mentioned above).

Side note, I am going with 235/85/16's, which is basically the same height as the 265/75's. Only downside is that they only come in LR E.

I3erto

I dont really ride on much sharp stuff.. mainly fireroads, sand, and smoother rocks to get to surf and trail heads.. So, please correct me if i am wrong, if the BFGs have a stiffer sidewall than the nittos, then the nittos should provide a better on road ride? From what i have read they are extremely off road capable. I really appreciate the advice/feedback. Thanks again.

slooowr6

Explorer
I don't have experience with BFGs so I can't compare it with Nitto. I've load range D Nittos, they ride great when I've camper on my truck. Quiet and supple, I would imagine a load range C Nitto should work well with a unloaded Taco.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I3erto said:

Going with the BFG AT was important for me because they are made to handle cold conditions. Cold being in the forty below range.

EdwinALink

yeah, im new...

i went from wranglers to the BFG A/Ts on my jeep. I've owned similar tires from cooper, the aformentioned goodyear, the detestable federals...

put plenty of miles on toyos....

and i gotta say, i am completely sold (for life!) on BFGs
a great compromise for a durable carcass, good in the cold,
but it actually tamed my jeeps ride!

a night and day differance in ride quality! that sells me!

oh, yeah.

the price is pretty reasonable too.

for me they were $117.00 a peice!.. not sure what that translates to for you!

I3erto

where did you get BFG ATs for 117? In either of the sizes I am looking at (265/70R16 or 265/75R16) they are around 200.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I3erto said:
where did you get BFG ATs for 117? In either of the sizes I am looking at (265/70R16 or 265/75R16) they are around 200.

I don't think even an employee of a tire shop could get it at that? Maybe he's talking about some used tires he got. Even the 235/85's are $140, and that is the very rock bottom price, too.

EdwinALink

see thats what im saying when i say,
"117. dont know what that translates for you!"

mine were 30x9.50 r 15s. and the only place i could find that sold them for msrp was discount tires(the only discount i found was unjacked prices!) , in layton utah (though i know they're all over utah... outside of here i dont know!)

everyone else was chargeing 157 to 191 for them. but i knew that about 117 to 125 was a fair price, and i kept looking for two months until i found a shop that sold them without a stupid mark up!

sorry i dont know the fair price for yours!

edit: though still. when you compare the price/quality ratio on these tires. you'll find few others that give you the same deal. even at 140!

I3erto

I ended up getting new wheels and tires. I got the FJ TRD SE Trail Team wheels and 265/75R16 BFG ATs. The wheels are the same as stock, and the tires are a little larger. There is no rubbing at all. They ride and drive alot better than the rugged trails that came with the truck. I would recommened getting this wheel size to anyone w/ a stock 05+ tacoma.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven