Tire size for a one ton truck 235/85/16 vs 265/75/16??

I expect to put the orders in this week.

Probably Cooper Discover AT3's in 235/85/16.

The fact that 265's require minimum 7" rims kinda scares me away.

I went from 265/75 to 235/85 on my '98. Very happy with the narrower tire, better in snow, quieter and cheaper. If only 255/85/16 was a more common size that would be my preference. 235/85/16 is available in near any tread at most tire shops around here, same with 265's and 285's.

I wish 255/85/16's were available with more options than Just BFG KM2's.
Don't get me wrong, I love the KM2's but not on a rig that'll cruise on highway majority of the time with a camper on..

I'll report back once I get them :D

86cj

Explorer
I went from a 235-85-16E to a 265-75-16E on my 83 HD 3/4 ton hauling a 12' cabover camper and picked up alot of steering control and less rear wallow.
I went from a 225-75-16D to a 235-75-16E on my 98 K3500 with same 12' camper and lost alot of steering sharpness, I went to 265-75-16E and got it back.
The 235-85-16 was THE E load tire for many years, it is Not as common now. I had a set of steel carcass 235-85's 20 years ago, the steering was tight and the ride was like a rock for 80,000+ miles. The last couple 235-85's I had were E load but had thin mushy sidewalls and rut tracked as bad as they cornered, Goodyear and Michelin BTW................

A crew cab long box with a camper ran 235-85-16's for years because they had to, now there are better choices. The E load range 265's showed up on the Ford Super Duty I think.

I looked at the Toyo M55's but at almost $400CDN, I will pass LOL.

235/85's are the ones I will probably choose. Though 86CJ's comment kinda scares me to do so.

235/85's are still wider than the stock and the same weight capacity. I am looking forward to it.

bfdiesel

Explorer
If you are running stock rims the 235/85 16 is the one to get they will wear better in the long run. If you have a wider after market rim then coin toss.

BillTex

Adventurer
I went from a 235-85-16E to a 265-75-16E on my 83 HD 3/4 ton hauling a 12' cabover camper and picked up alot of steering control and less rear wallow.
I went from 245-75-16E to 265-75-16E Commercial TA's running a 3000# TC. Gained quite a bit of stability with a load and is a bit smoother unladed, so ride quality and handling has improved all around.
Finaly got to run them in snow last week (we have not had much snow in NE this winter...) and they were great in the snow.
Only down side is I seem to have lost 1-2 mpg...but I can't decide if this is real or a matter of needing to recalibrate the odo due to change in size?

Truck is 06 Duramax CC 3/4 ton.

Carrying a TC...I would opt for all the load capacity I could get...

Bill

BillTex

Adventurer
Yeah...I went round/round with this...but depending on what tire Mfr you look at there was some over lap. And in any case we are talking about a very small difference in width/side.
I heard from many Folks on the TC forum that were running 265's on stock GM wheels for many, many miles with heavy loads...and no one reported any issue.
So I closed my eyes and went for broke just prior to a very heavy cross country trip last summer (Rocky MT NP, Yellowstone, Rushmore...). The tires were a significant improvement.

To be honest; these tires feel like they are the right size for this truck They have been an improvement in every way over the 245's.

The only thing I cannot comment on yet is the wear...I only have about 10k since I put them on.
I don't really use the truck as a DD...mostly just for adventures (like skiing last week).
I am fortunate enough to ride my bike to work the rest of the time...

Don't hesitate to put 265's on the stock wheels.

Oh yeah...one more thing; I bought the tires at my Chevy dealer (they matched tirerack) and they mounted them. I did this because I was concerned about the stock wheels. They didn't flinch..and I figured if anything did go wrong...they would have some (?) liability as they sold me the tires, and mounted them on stock wheels. My dealer is pretty good...and I asked several times about making the switch to 265's. They had no issue.

Bill

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
i run a housebrand (private label ) tire on my 88 2500 rclb 2wd..i had the same dilemma last month..i chose to run with the 235 85s (truck serves more to tow my 70 nova right now-though a custom built cap is i the work so it can serve dual duty)...this is my second truck with this tire size...at 124 my cost...i could not go wrong..:smiley_drive:

Canadian Tire Motomaster AT...

imho..i would go with the 265s....

gm4x4lover

Observer
Coming from a tire sales guy, a heavy hard sided camper hauling guy, and one who dd's a dually, the 265's are the best choice for how you use your vehicle. I changed out the tires on my duall and swapped to the 265's from the 235's. The added carrying capacity was my main motivator. Also here in colorado the 235's are alot less common that the 265's. I keep 7 sets of the 265's, 5 of which are 10 plys, and one set of 6 of the 235's. I probably only sell 2 full sets of the 235's a year.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The 235-85-16 are popular in Pittsburgh.
They sell a lot to the delivery guys with duel's

I think I am the only one local running the 235-85-16 on my 2500HD,
I like them and my mileage is higher than others with them.

I am picking up some new rims today.
Just happened to see a guy selling a set of 4 alloys on local Craigslist. In a small town where I live, finding what you are after on craigslist is very slim. What are the chances.

these rims are 16x8 load range E :D.

He is asking $400 and told me his lowest price would be $300 on a set of alloys with the powder coat starting to flake... hmm.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Coming from a tire sales guy, a heavy hard sided camper hauling guy, and one who dd's a dually, the 265's are the best choice for how you use your vehicle. I changed out the tires on my duall and swapped to the 265's from the 235's. The added carrying capacity was my main motivator. Also here in colorado the 235's are alot less common that the 265's. I keep 7 sets of the 265's, 5 of which are 10 plys, and one set of 6 of the 235's. I probably only sell 2 full sets of the 235's a year.

We have the inverse in NW Colorado 235's are always in stock , but you may have to wait a week or so for 265's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk