Tire/wheel Question

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
So, you all know i'm building my rig for long trail reliability and self sustainability....

to that end, i've decided to swap out my cast aluminum rims for some steelies.

I REALLY like the look of the stock TJ rims that came from the factory, and am wondering if i'm gonna have any issues putting them on my LJ wrangler.

i run the Canyon Aluminum ones right now...

i'd be running only about a 32" tire max...

here's a pic of the rims i like...

2001-1.jpg

DevEmp

There are pros and cons to both types of wheels (steel VS aluminium).... off the top of my head, though, steel rims are heavier, occasionally out of round even when brand new out of the box, and will most likely have a different back spacing than your factory rim (not including the OEM rims you're talking about). I would think that for ultimate reliability you'd go for a bead lock (of either flavor). Also I think the rims you currently have on your LJ are the Ravines, not the Canyons - both of the LJs here (an 04 1/2 and the 06) have the same rims. Having said all that, the steel OEM rims should be ok - same size (15X8) and bolt pattern (5 on 4.5) and same backspacing (I think it's 5 inches).

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Brian,
I ran 32x11.50 on my Canyons, which measure the same as Ravines. You shouldn't have any trouble running your stock wheels - although if you go with a wide tire like an 11.50, you'll want to make sure your axles are properly centered. If I did it again, I'd go with 33x10.50.

pic09-ORIG.jpg

Section 8

Observer
The steel wheels that you have pictured are narrow. They are only 6 inches wide. You won't want to use those for a 10 inch or wider tire.

That said, possibly the coolest stock wheels are the Willys Edition.

Willy

They are what you pictured, but a dark green.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
yup, i want "narrow"....that willy's looks sick!!.[drool]...i like the look when the tire is narrower or as narrow as the stock flares....a la defender and series landy's...

just a preference.

probably eventually end up with a set of michelin xzl's

(or, whatever! ..xl,xzl,...whatever the narrow, 32-33" mud tread, ndt tire is called..lol)

D90onrocks.jpg

something like this......:)

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
A buddy of mine had 33x9.50 on those 15x6 steelies on his TJ. Alas, 33x9.50 is no longer available, but it was a slick setup. The 15x6 would be able to manage 33x10.50 but fitment would definitely be better on a 15x7.

I had 32x10.50 on the stock 15x7 steel wheel for a while - just like the Willys wheel. It was a very nice size setup, but the tire was horrible.

EDIT: BTW, Brian - I love your taste in tires and wheels. Eager to see what you put together.

pic06-ORIG.jpg

Last edited:

Section 8

Observer
I wouldn't want to run low pressure (10psi) in a tire over 10 inches wide on a 6 inch rim, the bead just wouldn't be very stable on side hills and while turning.

As far as putting them on an LJ, you will not have any issues. All the axle widths are identical between TJ models. The back spacing changes between the different wheels, but they are all between 5 and 5.5 inches for the most part. Being that the steel wheels are the narrowest by an inch, it is probably more like 4.5" if the offset is to remain the same (designers like to keep the wheel bearings as close to the centerline of the wheel as possible).

As far as you tire choice: Be aware of your vehicle's weight, its cargo capcity, and its towing capacity (to calculate the tongue weight, even if you do't tow, or have a trailer yet, 5 tires are expensive to replace but $50 at the time of purchase is cheap). For a TJ this isn't much of a problem, but for the LJ, this additional weight is significent, and you need a load rating that is appropriate.

This is my LJ:

LJ

I rushed out and ordered it as soon as I saw that there would no longer be a 2 door unlimited. I am going to put the seats from the Willy in it. I really want to put the green top on it, but alas, more space means a longer jeep so the short top doesn't fit, and I am stuck with a black soft top. I would already have the wheels on it, but the Moab wheels are 16", so the tires won't fit. :eek: (I don't like shiny bits, so the wheels might get a coat of linex, or paint anyway)

:camping:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
thanks guys...so basically

1. my wheels are ravines not canyons
2. the stock steelies should fit just fine
3. i should stick to a narrow width tire so as not to have issues with losing a bead if i air down...

that about it?

RedDog

Explorer
kodiak1232003 said:
yup, i want "narrow"....that willy's looks sick!!.[drool]...i like the look when the tire is narrower or as narrow as the stock flares....a la defender and series landy's...

just a preference.

probably eventually end up with a set of michelin xzl's

(or, whatever! ..xl,xzl,...whatever the narrow, 32-33" mud tread, ndt tire is called..lol)

D90onrocks.jpg

something like this......:)

That is EXACTLY the package and look I feel I'm evolving into myself. I love my TJ but my needs and enjoyments centre more around quiet trails, camping, cooking and photography in the west country.

I have the 2" lift for the clearance I learned quickly I needed, but the offset Trxxus MT's don't seem to "fit" where I seem headed with my Jeep - and the lack of flare coverage is a ticket in waiting. The Defender style steel wheels and tall, narrow tires you refer to are spot on my radar as well.

Here's what my '05 TJ looks like these days. Consider the wheels and tires for sale.

LakeJeep2.jpg

LakeJeep1.jpg

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
might have finally found a set of the wheels I"m looking for.

I'm proud of myself for waiting and watching and searching for these wheels.

Its not like me!!

hopefully i can get my hands on them.

IH8RDS

Explorer
The stock steel rims are 15 X 7. This is what they look like (silver) with 31" x 10.5" tires. The fit inside my fenders now. They rub slightly on the drivers side LCA.

new%20rims.jpg

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
IH8RDS said:
The stock steel rims are 15 X 7. This is what they look like (silver) with 31" x 10.5" tires. The fit inside my fenders now. They rub slightly on the drivers side LCA.

new%20rims.jpg

:drool: thats great lookin'.

one question...

I had heard that they were 15x6's.
Where do you get your "x7" info from?

either way, i'm aware that I'll need to run a narrow tire, which is already the plan, just wondering is all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__