Tire/wheel Question

madizell

Explorer
I have run both steel and aluminum wheels on trails in Alaska, and I can't see that one has a definite advantage over another, as long as you are running tires sized properly for the width of the wheel, and not running super low pressures without benefit of a bead lock.

Is there a specific reason you don't trust your aluminum rims?

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
madizell said:
I have run both steel and aluminum wheels on trails in Alaska, and I can't see that one has a definite advantage over another, as long as you are running tires sized properly for the width of the wheel, and not running super low pressures without benefit of a bead lock.

Is there a specific reason you don't trust your aluminum rims?

this has been my experience:

-cast aluminum rims + rocks = cracked boat anchor
(forged alum. rims are repairable
somewhat but are $$$--- i.e. WELD rims)

-steel rims + rocks = bent, but easily hammered back to shape with a BFH(big frickin' hammer:)). they are a bit heavier, but I'm willing to trade that for the "field repairability" of steelies.

Its a throwback to the utilitarian look of the GPW, Landy series, and D90 overland look.

only problem now is that i was planning just to spray these black or drab or white or something. but they have been restored to a VERY nice finish....LOL....now i'm torn.

Last edited:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
in the last one, i just rolled one of the tires in front of my existing tire.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

like i said, i didn't expect them to be so shiny and nice. I'll have to decide once i get my new tires on. :)

If you have an opinion or pic either way, I'd definitely listen :wavey:

EDIT: just thought of it...can anyone photoshop different colors? that'd be sweet.

1leg

Explorer
I like the stock steel wheel look too. :iagree:
You should give some thought to 16inch wheels. You could run a 235-85-16. I understand 15s are cheaper and easier to find.

Stock steel wheels with. thinking about painting them black???
255/85/16 BFG muds
2138721811_b23569ba9e.jpg

2138719617_2518132f43.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
IH8RDS said:
The stock steel rims are 15 X 7. This is what they look like (silver) with 31" x 10.5" tires. The fit inside my fenders now. They rub slightly on the drivers side LCA.

Is that picture current, Scott? I dig. I'd like to find a utilitarian steel wheel in 16x7, almost like a spare rim, or like the FJ Cruiser steelie.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
IH8RDS, where did you find the 15x7 9 slot stock steelies ? All I can find on line are 15x6's. I went with TJ 15x8 Canyons for my XJ, but the more I look at the 9 slots, I like the utilitarian look of them.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
1leg said:
I like the stock steel wheel look too. :iagree:
You should give some thought to 16inch wheels. You could run a 235-85-16. I understand 15s are cheaper and easier to find.

Stock steel wheels with. thinking about painting them black???
255/85/16 BFG muds
2138721811_b23569ba9e.jpg

2138719617_2518132f43.jpg

did you mean that you are thinking about painting those /\ black?

if so, i definitely approve...:)

i like the fact that our color schemes could include just black and the darker paint color. looks good to me.

IH8RDS

Explorer
cshontz said:
Is that picture current, Scott? I dig. I'd like to find a utilitarian steel wheel in 16x7, almost like a spare rim, or like the FJ Cruiser steelie.

Yes the picture is current. I want to go to 16" too.

Maximus Ram said:
IH8RDS, where did you find the 15x7 9 slot stock steelies ? All I can find on line are 15x6's. I went with TJ 15x8 Canyons for my XJ, but the more I look at the 9 slots, I like the utilitarian look of them.

The guy that helped me balance them said "are you sure" so we measured them and they where 7". I got them off of a 97 XJ 2 door. I actually traded 15 x 8 black steelies for them.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Yep, I can vouch they're absolutely 15x7. They came on... old YJ Saharas, Cherokee SE's, eventually TJ SE's, and the TJ Willy's edition to name a few. That wheel style has had a good run, come to think of it.

Scott, you're probably well aware but I'll just post it for everyone - you can alleviate the control arm rubbing by popping a couple of washers behind the steering stops. Its common practice, and the adverse affect on your turning radius should be minimal.

96608172_c91849cfd7.jpg

Or... WJ LCA's are the same length, but are fully boxed and have arc. I've heard the metal sleeve needs some shaving at the frame end, but its a trick way to maintain one's turning radius with oversize tires on stock wheels.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I know the trick with the steering stops. I just have not done it yet. :coffee:

Here is how the tires used to stick out with 8" rims with a 4" backspace.

Sliders5.JPG

IH8RDS

Explorer
This is how it looked a couple years ago with TJ rims. They might have been 15 x 6, but I dont know fore sure because I never measured them. They could have been 15 x 7 for all I know.

new_shoes.JPG

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
IH8RDS said:
This is how it looked a couple years ago with TJ rims. They might have been 15 x 6, but I dont know fore sure because I never measured them. They could have been 15 x 7 for all I know.

Those are 15x7 as well. They look very good! I prefer how stock wheels keep the tires under the fenders. Very nice.

kjp98TJ

Observer
yep, 15x7. i'm running 33x10.5's on those. after going through 5 or 6 sets of rims, i like those the best....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__