Tired Series 1

Michael Slade

Untitled
What would be the cost of an engine rebuild?

Financially or emotionally?

I had a '53 that was WAY past any kind of an original restoration. So, I had fun with it. Ironically it probably cost me more $ to do what I did than to create a 100-points show car.

I say let him do with it what he may.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Interesting design. Never seen an IOE before. I'm guessing the pushrods for the intake run in the small holes that are close together, between what I assume are water jacket passages?

Also appears to have the deck slanted vs. the cylinder bore?

I guess the combustion chamber is all off to the side instead of over the piston. Probably real low compression ratio like 6:1?

rovertech

Observer
Someone else may have a number for you. At this point I would be guessing. There are too many unknowns without a teardown to be accurate. The British restoration shop I work alongside does high quality rebuilds and for comparison sake a build on a OHV MG engine usually runs in the $4000 ballpark. I would throw out a wild guess of $6000 but like I said before, someone who has been down this road before would be able to answer you better than I at this point. :) This is the first series 1 I have had in the shop. I am blessed with information from my neighbor shop and that is really the only reason I let it be dropped off.

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
I know of a few locally with later engines and even later gearboxes, as the cost of rebuilding would be more than the value of the car,
they can be stored for the future, and the car still driven.
I nearly bought one last year with a 200 tdi:smiley_drive:

evilfij

Explorer
To give you an example, the valve seats for that motor are like $100 each (I have one new one *somewhere*). I also have an entire boatanchor of a motor if you need parts. On mine, the head (which often cracks) is good -- if you need a head. I also have cores of Waterpump/starter/etc.

here is what I recommend for a motor swap:

http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/projects/80inch/80inch.html

I <3 that truck. Someday, my 1951 will be something similar, but I am going with coil axles and converted RRC frame (original frame is shot) and a fabricated bulkhead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater