TJ Rack Question

LawlerClan

Observer
I was looking to put a rack in above where the rear seat would go to put my tent cot on. I normally run a 1/2 cab type configuration and am thinking of how to put a simple support in that would still let me keep the tonneau cover on the rear. I was thinking about using U bolts and a straight piece angled steel to go across the two rear uprights by the upper seat belt mount (generally) and then (and this is where the question comes in) figuring out how to mount a peice between and to the brackets on the middle bar where the soft-top bows normally mount. I just don't know how much weight those would carry. Thoughts?

TIA
Chip

LawlerClan

Observer
Similar concept. The rear would be the same but the front would connect to the center roll bar so nothing would hang down. Essentially it would be just a straight bar running perpendicular to the vehicle mounted to the center and rear bars. The tent-cot is decent sized and I don't thing the best top would work. I'd like to keep it off the upper portion of the bars as well so it doesn't interfere with the safari top.

Lumberjack

Adventurer
This is what I did...

Could easily be done leaving the top bars in place. There is a company that make tube connections that clamp to the roll bar(dont remember who), so it could be made easily removable.

Dennis

PhulesAU

Explorer
I think you can buy the clamp ends from Rock Hard. I run the rear Brace/support across the back, the only thing I recommend you pad it. otherwise you might get forehead prints on it.

RedRocker

Adventurer
DSC00186.jpg

LawlerClan

Observer
Nice

Both of those last two racks are very nice and I wouldn't mind more info on both.

I don't really need a rack for the tent cot but more of a way to support it up off the tonneau cover so I can have the tonneau cover on and not have the cot resting on what is below.

So back to the origingal question: how much weight do you think the tabs for the softop supports could hold?

crusty1007

Both of those last two racks are very nice and I wouldn't mind more info on both.

I don't really need a rack for the tent cot but more of a way to support it up off the tonneau cover so I can have the tonneau cover on and not have the cot resting on what is below.

So back to the origingal question: how much weight do you think the tabs for the softop supports could hold?

The ones on the back of the B pillar?
I would assume directly over them quit a bit vertically. The side loading will probably fold them over.
I suspect adding leverage to them will kill them quick also.

That basket above will carry a couple of hundred pounds using those tube clamps. You mght build off something like those.

LawlerClan

Observer
The load would be vertical on the tabs.

I asked them about buying the tube clamps seperately but they want $225 for the clamps and mounts. That's a bit much for what I need out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal