To 455 Olds or keep the 350 TBI

PHSARGE

OK so I posted elsewhere on the 89 suburban I have, I see all the threads on here with everyone putting different motors in them. I unfortunately can't afford to do a 6bt or an 8.1 ( all though that one looks awesome ). I have a 455 olds and adapter plate sitting in the garage and was wondering what the thoughts are about swapping that one into the truck? I also have the bits and pieces laying around to do a 383 out of the 350 so what are your thoughts? In need of advice on this one as I can't really afford to go after some of the newer motors and my understanding of all the electronics in the Multi port stuff really sucks.

justcuz

Explorer
Check out Woof wagons build. He is using a 500 Caddy engine and TBI. Next best thing to the Caddy is a 455 Olds!

I say go for it! You can install and early 454 TBI and adaptor plate on your stock 4 barrel intake, distributor can be converted and the sensors added to your engine. I would use a heated O2 sensor, but the rest would be stock 350 TBI sensors converted to your 455.

You did not say if yours is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton, if it's a 1/2 ton talk to a good trans shop about anything that will help the trans handle the 455's torque output. A trans cooler will be a must have.

Hopefully you don't have to deal with smog issues where you live. I see your in Montana, so maybe not.

Last edited:

PHSARGE

I checked it out. It is defiantly an awesome build.

I am starting to think the 455 is going to be the way I need to go. Things changed in life and I am going to need the displacement. Got the motor and adapter. Only have around 60k on the motor so wondering if I can get away with a quick rebuild or if I am going to need to rebuild this one. She ran good when I parked the car it was in.

Never done just a quick rebuild. Everything I have done has been full rebuild and full machine. So anyone that may have experience just doing a quick overhaul and what I should be checking let me know. Thanks in advance.

Currently I have just a half ton suburban. No smog issues to deal with up here so that is always a help. Looking to keep the EFI and found someone who can program it for the motor. Just a matter of getting the right adapter and TBI unit now.

justcuz

Explorer
Your going to want the 454 TBI, the bores and injectors are bigger. The cast iron injector adaptor and 454 TBI were used in early big block applications and bolt right on to a Quadrajet intake.

As far as the Olds goes, I would get a compression check and pull the pan and check main and rod clearances. If it looks clean and the bearings plastigage Ok then put a new timing chain and oil pump in it and run it.

I saw some pictures in your other posts, the dark blue Suburban is a 3/4 ton 8 lug bolt pattern vehicle. If you don't have a 14 bolt full floater rear axle it is a nice upgrade over a semi float 14 bolt especially if you plan on towing a lot.

I'll find some TBI reprogramming info and post it up tomorrow for you.

Harris Performance at TBIchips.com. Has some good suggestions on building different Chevy TBI engines, but his chips have mixed reviews. I think I would start with your stock V8 chip and see how that works. The 454 fuel injector should provide enough fuel and the spark advance curve for the small block should be ok with the olds engine. The rest of the sensors adapted to the Olds engine should make it run pretty well I would think.

I will say this about Brian at TBIchips.com, if you email him with your project explination he is very good at getting back to you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal