To get Lockers or not in my JK Sport?

Baller

I'd agree with a lot of what people here have to say. I'd encourage you to lock the back, though. As for NEEDING lockers, it's a very subjective thing. Knowing how to drive and knowing your, and your rig's, limits are paramount. For all those that posted pictures of there rigs where their lockers helped save them, a little perspective is needed. It's like any questionable situation one gets in: it isn't one poor decision but, a string of them that gets you in that situation. Knowing capabilities and adhering to such will not put you in situations where you "need" lockers. Will your rig with lockers go places it couldn't without? Yes. Again, lock the back first. There are many reasons for this you can look up. The dude that suggested locking the front first, as he did, is, by far, the minority. And I'm talking by a LONG shot. Lock the back first.

Baller

NJAdam

Workin' on it...
The dude that suggested locking the front first, as he did, is, by far, the minority. And I'm talking by a LONG shot. Lock the back first.

I didn't suggest he locked the front first :smilies27

I said that's what I did, for my own reasons.

NJAdam

Workin' on it...
Nope. That's why I made sure I said "for my own reasons" because I know the back should have been done first. ;)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Im going with detriot true trac's. front and rear. I don't need full lockers but the added traction of the true tracs will be nice, plus they are perfectly DD'able!

madmax718

Explorer
true trac DD? Well.. thats up to you. Lol. Nothing says scream like a little kid when your gassing it through a turn and the road is a little slick.

Locker in the front isn't a bad idea, and have often considered it myself. (especially a lunch box style and not a selectable).

Many trucks come with LSD in the rear already- some rigs you need an open carrier for a drop in locker. My theory is, if your LSD is working fine off road (if its a tight lsd). then time to consider the front.

If you have a Part time transfer case, your fron't isnt engaged most of the time anyhow. A Locker in here wont affect handling. But a front locker is a miracle worker- it helps "claw" that wheel up and over that rock or log, rather than relying on the rear to "push" the front wheel over the obstacle.

Adventure IQ

Explorer
Should have bought a rubicon if you wanted lockers. Do you have the trac loc rear?

Awesome advise if he already has a sport....

I to have a 2013 Sport.... Made an awesome deal on it ....way cheaper than the Rubicons in my area.....and I wanted a stick shift....none of the Rubis in the area had that.

I will eventually add the lockers as well...but not for going into situations....mainly for getting out of them...... Instead of lockers I went for a winch and a way to carry extra fuel....

www.AdventureIQ.com
Facebook Me! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventure-IQ/210030892407247
Adventute Journal http://adventureiq.wordpress.com/
http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/show/adventureiq/id/2291366

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Lock the rear first. If you add a winch to the front you should get to 99.9% of places most "overlanders" go.

cwm

Observer
Looking at the pictures there were comments that a winch would not have helped but a locker would. I think a front winch would have helped - provided you carried a winch anchor. Many people have winches but don't have winch anchors.

I have a ARB in the rear and carry a Pull Pal for use with the front winch. That gives me two options.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Looking at the pictures there were comments that a winch would not have helped but a locker would.

The lockers would have prevented my stuck in the 1st place, that's why I would get them before a winch. To me, a winch is for those times you put yourself in a situation where you shouldn't have been to begin with. Yes, I do believe in having one as I have needed it once in 40,000 miles of off-roading to get me out of a pucker factor situation. But, to use it to surmount and obstacle to continue on to another possible situation, no thanks.

MFDSpecOps

Great info on the locker/ no locker. Best advice was the skill(s) advice. Many throw the switch for lockers or the winch without the skills. Overlanding uses all the skills, the most important one....Planning Skills. Like IQ I saved the monies and built a overland JKU, spent the money on a Gobi and Winch. The rest stock 3.73, Fox 2" lift w/35s. Just like IQ pointed out, Extra Fuel. Also the Overloaded Wrangler will doom you Lockers or No Lockers. Jeep well my brethren.

tools

Lockers are tool built in to your Jeep. You have heard the old saying use the right tool for the job well sometimes the right tool is a locker or 2 authorities not. It just adds that much more capability to your rig and security in transitioning a difficult section. I have had rigs with and with out invariably when I didn't have lockers I need them badly but with them I don't seem to need them same thing with a winch. Thing is when your winch gets fried you have the lockers to help.. I say get them but beef up your axel or get new ones.

Happykamper

Explorer
Buddy your going to need to reggae anyway running 35's or you will be miserable , get front and rear ARB air lockers. They perform better then any rubicon and AZ diff in Phoenix does a great job. It 2 k more then gearing and right now you get the ARB diff covers free. You will never regret it no matter rocking or overlanding .

Septu

Explorer
Why did we bump a thread that was 2.5 years old? Especially when the person who bumped it didn't really add anything to the discussion!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater