To lift or not to lift...

tommudd

Explorer
With 110,000 miles I would not just add one of those add a leaf to the rear. You'll find that with the springs already sagging that add a leaf won't ride nearly as good a full set of springs. Tried to tell one of my buddys the same thing, he went with the cheaper alternative, 2 months later he was back so we could replace both rear spring packs

Sherman134

Observer
Ride quality is not a very big concern for me at this time, my rear leafs, while not pristine still retain some arch. I attribute this to the fact the vehicle is equipped with the upcountry spring package. My friend owns an xj which was lifted 4.5 inches using a full spring pack and it rides like a log wagon. This is partly why I chose to look into an add a leaf. Also, I have heard that using longer shackles improves ride quality, so if an add a leaf is too stiff would a longer shackle counteract this?

Reboot11133

Observer
Longer shackle might give a better ride but it will also add lift. If the shackle is 2" longer than stock it will give you 1" of lift. I think you are on the right track. Replace coils and shocks and add a leaf. Then go enjoy it.

Sherman134

Observer
A good quality lift will give you a great ride, cheap lift, lousy rough ride
Not all lifts are made the same

What are some good quality lifts? From what I have read rough country, while stiff at first eventually settles down and with some better shocks, can give a good ride. I know ome is praised for their quality, but I simply don't have the funds to dump a grand into a lift kit.

On a side note, if anyone has a decent set of cherokee lift springs with or without shocks, I may be interested.

docwatson

Adventurer
Have you thought about Crown Hd replacements? They lift a stock XJ a little over an inch (word of mouth, not first hand knowledge) which would put you back at your Upcountry height and a little stiffer spring rate to help with the saging. There are some Moog progressive coils to match but I am not sure code cc782 I think but again not positive. No shocks but all that should be about 300 if I remember correctly leaving you a little for some shocks.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
What are some good quality lifts? From what I have read rough country, while stiff at first eventually settles down and with some better shocks, can give a good ride. I know ome is praised for their quality, but I simply don't have the funds to dump a grand into a lift kit.

On a side note, if anyone has a decent set of cherokee lift springs with or without shocks, I may be interested.

CL is your friend. I bought a complete used OME lift for $300 for my JKUR, with the tags still on the springs. There's got to be a ton of used XJ stuff out there, and springs don't wear out over night. OME also sells just components, so you can buy the springs and then add other stuff later. Northridge 4X4 has a lot of listings of just components from lots of makers.

Shoeman

Observer
Good timing! I just replaced the worn out leafs on my 2000. I did not want to go with any big lift, and when we travel the jeep is usually freighted right up with gear, kayaks, and towing a teardrop camper. 87k on it. The springs would sag so bad the axle was higher than the shackles and I had minimal tire rub clearance in the rear wells. So after lots of studying I settled on a set of heavy duty springs equivalent to the Up Country stuff, 755# rating. Got them for a good price from General Spring in Kansas City. Even shipped to me the price was competitive at $79/side and they come with the bushings installed. I just finished putting them on yesterday. Not an easy job but I bulled through it.
Next is getting an inch more lift on the front to level it out. Spacers for now but uprated springs will be the final deal. I don't wheel or mud run, just back woods roads and logging roads so I think this is a good answer.
Add a leafs on old springs, according to the guru's an NAXJA, will simply hasten the decline of the old spring back even faster. The factory did it right with that Up Country package.

Sherman134

Observer
Good timing! I just replaced the worn out leafs on my 2000. I did not want to go with any big lift, and when we travel the jeep is usually freighted right up with gear, kayaks, and towing a teardrop camper. 87k on it. The springs would sag so bad the axle was higher than the shackles and I had minimal tire rub clearance in the rear wells. So after lots of studying I settled on a set of heavy duty springs equivalent to the Up Country stuff, 755# rating. Got them for a good price from General Spring in Kansas City. Even shipped to me the price was competitive at $79/side and they come with the bushings installed. I just finished putting them on yesterday. Not an easy job but I bulled through it.
Next is getting an inch more lift on the front to level it out. Spacers for now but uprated springs will be the final deal. I don't wheel or mud run, just back woods roads and logging roads so I think this is a good answer.
Add a leafs on old springs, according to the guru's an NAXJA, will simply hasten the decline of the old spring back even faster. The factory did it right with that Up Country package.

Good luck with your setup! The higher rated springs are very nice to have. I personally like to have the rear of my jeep higher than the front, it allows me to load more gear without inducing negative rake. The upcountry package is definately a nice feature to have. Most people arent aware that along with higher and better springs, It comes with maximum engine cooling, a transmission cooler, a full set of skid plates ( front, tcase, gas tank) a limited slip rear differential, a set of front tow hooks,factory rear sway bar delete and either a class 3 hitch or a rear tow hook. Mine is equipped with the hitch.

I began looking into purchasing a lift kit after my freinds father sold me a set of barely used 31/10.5 BFG AT's, the tires fit and are able to take most dirt trails without rubbing. However, when the suspension has to really flex, the rear tires rub the inner fender flare. This is why I decided to buy a lift instead of replacing factory components.

Also, if my jeep is riding 1 inch over stock, will a 3 inch add a leaf result in a 4 inch lift ove a non upcountry vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3