Took winch apart...help...

SixLug

Explorer
so I took my winch apart last night to clean all the rust off. Its a Chicago Electric, (came on the Jeep, works fine). I bed-lined the drum on the flanges and the top cross bars that were rusty. I also bedlined my bumper...now Im putting it all back on and the winch is having a hard time obeying me. I took the clutch end and sat it on its side, with the gear facing up. I then took the drum and put it down into the clutch side. This side of the drum has a large hex shape rod running out of it and a female recepticle at the bottom of the clutch side to accept it. Im pretty sure Im getting this all the way in because the drum sits flush with the clutch side indention. I then take the motor side and put it down onto the drum, which has a female key recepticle. Im sure these mesh as well. The problem is, if I mount the top cross bars then the feet of the winch pop outward and I cannot get them to line up with the holes in the bumper. If I mount the feet first, I cannot get the top crossbars on. Ive even used a ratchet strap to try to get them together and I finally did, but now it seems like its binding a little. Any ideas?

SixLug

Explorer
I actually figured it out...I took off the clutch side cover and put it all together that way...works fine now. But that was a great find man...I saved that manual. Thanks guys. Its amazing what a little patience will do...I think I was just frustrated last night b/c Id been working on it forever...ha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333