tool and spare kit for 05+

rovingowl

Observer
my 07 tacoma doubles as my daily driver for carpentry work, and my adventure rig (mostly long road trips with fire roads and trails thrown in - no heavy off-roading).

i'm looking for suggestions on what to carry as far as tools and spares for extended travel with light off-road use. i chose to keep my truck basically stock, for wear/tear and maintenance reasons, so the only mods are minor. 235/85/16 bfg ats, canopy, recovery gear etc. also looking to add an inverter to run power tools at remote jobsite locations (too few and far between to warrant a genny).

i consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, just have never learned that much about auto repair. so i'm not really sure what would be the most common break down, or what i would need to repair it.

thanks for the help.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
A solid start would be a good tire repair kit, a good flashlight, and a set of jumper cables.

Throw in a metric socket/wrench set with screwdrivers and you have a solid foundation.

Also get a full set of spare fuses, and don't forget bailing wire, zip ties, and duct tape ;)

Last edited:

rovingowl

Observer
i have a tire plug kit (not so great but it has worked in the past), jumper cables, small air compressor ( to be replaced with a better unit), flashlight, duct tape, electrical tape.

i always carry emergency gear and for extended road trips or known off-road adventures carry recovery gear.

just am not sure at to what spares might be useful, aside from fuses, bulbs and belts. or what specific tools are needed. can anyone recommend a good repair manual? it's mostly the mechanical/electrical that i don't feel comfortable with.

gearbox

Adventurer
Plus a headband flashlight (for hands-free use), 2 crescent wrenches, locking pliers, ratcheting wrench & sockets (mostly metric), screwdriver with hex drivers and common bits, a full-size tire wrench, ratcheting straps, a hi-lift and accessories, a shovel, a 1st Aid kit, some mechanics gloves, some rags, some JB weld, LED fuse checker, jumper cables, air compressor, tire plug kit, emergency water and food, a compact sleeping bag, condoms...

A guy could have a pretty good time in Vegas...

Dr_Unk

As mentioned above a compressor and a tire plug kit can get you a long way.

I'd also recommend a better jack. The OEM ones for Toyota are a pain if that's all you've got. They're great to be used in conjunction with a second jack but they usually involve way too much propping up or digging when used solo.

Haven't had much experience with them myself (I'm looking at going dual battery personally) but those power packs with a light, DC outlet and jumper cables have been getting good props in another forum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy