Tools for the overlander

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I want to put together an essentials-only tool kit for my XTerra. There are a number of metric sets available on the market, but I want to keep the weight down and carry nothing more than I have to. I already have a very basic tool kit: some screwdrivers, a few pliers, adjustable wrenches, and zip ties along with other bodging stuff. Clearly I need more of the right tools for the job, that means a dedicated set for the X.

What are the essentials? Are there any prepackaged kits that would have what I need with minimal bloat? Any recommendations or input would be appreciated.

theBostonianX

Adventurer
A 32 mm socket will remove the axle nut in the event you bust a CV. You don't have to carry spare CV's but at least you can remove a busted one.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I have a code reader, and use it to clear those "Evap control valve short" codes from the charcoal canister sensor.

Great suggestion for that socket, its on the list now!

fortel

Adventurer
Jury is still out, but I'm trying a set of the Kobalt sockets that work on both SAE and metric in an attempt to minimize the amount of tools/weight carried. Due to the design, the outer diameter of the sockets is pretty bloated when compared to traditional 6 or 12 point sockets, and that might present a problem in tight situations. Time will tell.

bushnut

Adventurer
not sure about the X but on my pathy the most common bolt sizes seem to be 10,12,13,15,17,19,21mm
add in some fuses as well.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I carry this plus a small bag of hammers, screw drivers, pliers, electrical stuff, misc

sabse100p.jpg

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/SABSE100P/silver-eagle-100-piece-general-service-set/

Yeah its more than what I "need" for the Xterra, but it fits neatly in its own case that's about 16x12x3 inches. (I'm also a Land Rover guy so the more tools the better)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
A 32 mm socket will remove the axle nut in the event you bust a CV. You don't have to carry spare CV's but at least you can remove a busted one.

You don't want to remove an axleshaft and then try to drive on the front hub without it. The wheel bearing will fall apart without the clamping force of the axle nut holding it together.

theBostonianX

Adventurer
You don't want to remove an axleshaft and then try to drive on the front hub without it. The wheel bearing will fall apart without the clamping force of the axle nut holding it together.

How so? it's a unit bearing.

It has been done before with Xterras with no issues. Leaving in broken pieces of the stub shaft will cause further damage to the diff or other drive line parts.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The stub shaft holds the unit together. It will fall apart eventually without that clamping force.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Exactly... its a unit bearing.

Sure you can probably get away with it here or there, but eventually you're going to have a bad time.

skibum315

Explorer
Emphasis here on "eventually" ... you'd be fine for getting back to civilization, or for the time it would take a new cv/half-shaft assembly to show up if ordered (for those that must DD the "overlanding" vehicle). Do you suppose that the 2wd Xterra hub assembly has a completely different bearing cross-section, than the 4wd?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk