Tools for the overlander

theBostonianX

Adventurer
Wow nice, that's pretty thorough, where ya going?

I like the flash light selection, but look into a LED headlamp, hands free goes a long way...

Also consider one of those battery jump packs instead or jump cables, since those rely on another vehicle. Or go duel battery.

Have you considered OBA? to run some air tools.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Blind_Io

Adventurer
This is what I carry in my XTerra all the time. I usually travel with other vehicles, so the compact size and lighter weight cables do the job. I do have an LED headlamp in there, but it is probably due for new batteries, it has been a few months since I swapped them out.

An air compressor would be nice but I have not mounted one and I'm not sure where I would put the tank. The XTerra is a fairly compact rig already; I don't even have air tools at home. A friend relocated his spare and put the tank where the stock spare used to be, I might do that at some point, especially if I have a trailer down the road to carry a second spare tire.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
im glad it was taken the way i meant it. when i rolled my patrol car there were things i thought were secured or never thought about being a threat. also had a guy running from us in a 4x4 early 80's suburban. he decided he didnt like my drivers door and t boned me. ruined my favorite maglite which severely bruised my left knee. not all the same incident but i learned the hard way.

bushnut

Adventurer
all I can say Is my trunk looks very much like Blind_IO....If you are not always prepared you are never prepared.

TheOverlanders

Overlander
I dont have an xtera, but in my land rover kit i have

Metric spanners 8-24mm
Socket set (BI-Hex) 6-22mm 26mm
Rubber or copper mallet
Voltmeter
Cir clip pliers
Monkey wrench
Breaker bar
screwdrivers x4

Wheel bearing socket
Propshaft socket

I have done all work with these tools including changing a gearbox in the field. Anything more is just a luxury !!

Hope that helps
www.theoverlanders.co.uk

i see a lot of folks fixing quick fist mounts to the plastic in the xterra. that might be a better option than stuffing things in pockets.

-SM-

keane

Observer
The only thing that I have't seen that I have used a couple times is a small hose clamping tool for break lines and fuel lines.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I have a Harbor Freight pack of those in there...somewhere. I should probably include some hose material to use for patches. Also a spare serpentine belt is now part of the kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk