Totaled my trusty 2000 Silverado... looking at '99 Ford 7.3L diesel...

flux

Observer
Hey gang... thought I might get some good feedback from y'all.

Yesterday my trusty 220,000 mile Silverado Z71 was totaled because of some 16 year old chick that needed to turn left outta the parking lot while I was occupying the space already. This was my personal vehicle as well as my work truck... bought it from dad as he was the original owner. I tow an enclosed 6 X 8 landscape trailer almost every day with it.

My pops found a line on a nice-looking '99 Ford Super Duty 7.3L diesel with 150K on it. Just looking for folks' thoughts on this truck. I have always owned Chevy but not particular to a brand so long as it ain't a Dodge (replaced 3 trannys in our last Dodge diesel before I had enough of that). It would also pull double duty pulling a horse trailer once in awhile.

Anything worth noting, good or bad, on this truck?

Cheers guy, thanks in advance.

FishPOET

Adventurer
7.3 is a good motor.

In March 1999 Ford changed from a Dana 50 to a Dana 60 up front and finding the right brakes, rotors, ball joints etc can be a pain.

I am very happy with my 99 F250

flux

Observer
7.3 is a good motor.

In March 1999 Ford changed from a Dana 50 to a Dana 60 up front and finding the right brakes, rotors, ball joints etc can be a pain.

Thanks for the info. How many miles on yours?

Rozzi

Adventurer
I had a 2000 7.3 PSD 4x4 with 200,000 miles. It was still on the original clutch. Engine was flawless. One of the best trucks I ever owned. Only issue I ever had was front wheel bearings (sealed unit - $500 per side).

Bella PSD

Explorer
Check for rust on the oil pan. Trust me you DON'T want to replace the pan. All in all a great truck.

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
7.3 is a good motor.

The switch to D60 was right at OCT 2001 for the Louisville built trucks. But some 11-2001 to 2-2002 Mexican built 2002's had the D50, but not to many.

Louie

UrbanCummin

Diesel Mechanic
Hey gang... thought I might get some good feedback from y'all.

Yesterday my trusty 220,000 mile Silverado Z71 was totaled because of some 16 year old chick that needed to turn left outta the parking lot while I was occupying the space already. This was my personal vehicle as well as my work truck... bought it from dad as he was the original owner. I tow an enclosed 6 X 8 landscape trailer almost every day with it.

My pops found a line on a nice-looking '99 Ford Super Duty 7.3L diesel with 150K on it. Just looking for folks' thoughts on this truck. I have always owned Chevy but not particular to a brand so long as it ain't a Dodge (replaced 3 trannys in our last Dodge diesel before I had enough of that). It would also pull double duty pulling a horse trailer once in awhile.

Anything worth noting, good or bad, on this truck?

Cheers guy, thanks in advance.

Overall they are very good trucks.

On a side note, if you build your dodge auto the right way with good aftermarket parts they are a great tranny and will handle anything you can throw at them.

bronconut

Observer
The switch to D60 was right at OCT 2001 for the Louisville built trucks. But some 11-2001 to 2-2002 Mexican built 2002's had the D50, but not to many.

Louie

Yup on the Dana 50 change there was a major redesign of the front disc brakes mid 1999 maybe that's what he was referring to?

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Had a 2000 7.3 diesel 4wd.
Replaced clutch at 180k, finally replaced brake pads at 205k.
Sold it to my best friend at 210k, still going strong at almost 300k.
He's replaced a few piddly things, but nothing big.

flux

Observer
Guys thanks for the info. I love forums like this. Still early on in the looking process but I will be sure to let y'all know what I do. :costumed-smiley-007

Rot Box

Explorer
Great trucks :sombrero:

The early model 99's used a unique turbo/downpipe system that is less desirable compared to the later models. I don't know all the details on it, but I have a friend with a early 99 that does. If you are interested I could ask him about it. I don't think the system was unreliable in any way--just not nearly as efficient.

Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk