Towing capacity Question

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Alright folks a little bit of fun

My dream truck is a 73-87 Short box stepside GM 4x4 presumably with a 350 fuel injected/ auto tranny and no more than 35" tires

Is it feasible for a truck of such nature to tow a Somerset E3 trailer with a quad & dirt bike

+ 2 adults and a dog or am I out to lunch ???

Total trailer weight is a max 4400 lbs
Apparently tow rating of 1/2 ton Gm's in 80's was a max 6500 lbs

IMG_2455.JPGphpThumb.jpg

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Reason I ask is although the tow capacity is above the max trailer weight, I have no way of verifying the gvw of the truck. The 6500 lb gvw is simply what I found on the internet. That and I was hoping someone may have owned a similar truck and done similar towing and could enlighten me on the experience

ExpoMike

No direct experience but in general, short wheelbase trucks and heavy towing (above 4000 lbs) can be a little squirrelly, especially under braking. Then can tend to wag the dog, so to speak. You'll find most folks who tow heavy loads use long wheelbase trucks to combat the wag factor. You'll find most companies rate the higher tow ratings for the bigger, heavier trucks. You'll likely be able to tow the weight without problems for power but drivability and braking might be a challenge. Trailer brakes will be a must.

ramiromunoz

I tow a 4200 lbs travel trailer with my Nissan Xterra and I haven't had any problems.
You need to take it easy and have lots of space in front of you to take it easy on the brakes. Trailer brakes, weight distribution and sway control are a must. One thing is for sure, don't go over the maximum recommended weight under no circumstances.

Ramiro Munoz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1stDeuce

Explorer
I had that truck, but in blue, and with a 292 straight six and 33" tires. The camper trailer you're intending to tow will be no problem at all for it. If the trailer has brakes, I'd recommend using them though. Brakes on older trucks are not what you're probably used to from driving modern vehicles. Especially with 35's!

If you're not familiar with trailer brake controllers, you want to get an inertia based controller, like the Tekonsha Prodigy, not a time ramp controller. Most of the inertia controllers are about $100, while the time ramp controllers are around $50, but that extra $50 makes a BIG difference in a sudden or panic stop, and they operate sooooo smoothly once you get them set properly!! The Prodigy is probably one of the better units out there IMO.

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Thanks very much gentlemen, that helps a lot. I am new to towing trailers and def don't want to go over GVW of truck

Although def not new to fullsize domestic trucks and or 4x4's. I was curious as like I said that truck has always been my dream truck.

Good advice all around

Thanks again
Shaun

Last edited:

MT6bt

Rock hound
I'm sure that truck will have no problem towing that but have fun with the 8mpg you'll probably get!

shauniscndn

Adventurer
MT6bt

I hear you there My previous truck I sold in Aug was a 1988 F-250 4x4 460 bb 5-spd (See below) averaged 20-22 ltrs per 100 K... SAD mileage but a great truck
I do own a truck now that could easily tow the trailer. I was simply curious as the 80's gm stepsides have always been my dream truck and my current truck may go to the farm in Saskatchewan, as my GF wouldn't like 2 trucks in driveway

Thanks again

IMG_0752.jpg

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Todd
I wish i'd have known that in Aug '12 as I sold it fairly cheap and am in BC/LMD as well and it only had 96,000 original kms and was pretty mint. I do miss the power just not the mileage

82fb

Adventurer
Chevy shortbed has a wheelbase of 117", plenty long enough to be stable with a 4k trailer. However, whether or not you have trailer brakes, I would spend the $3-500 and pick up a set of 8 lug 3/4 ton axles to swap in. Many of them will have 4.10 gears, and they will have much better brakes.

fdklr

The truck will not have any significant issues with that trailer. Gearing and breaking will be the biggest concerns for you. Going to 35" tires and stock gearing will place a great deal of stress on that tranny. You will need to double check the ratios in the tranny and in the rear end to find the sweat spot. You may need to go a low as 4.38 or 4.56.

Proper weight distrubution will also aid in making the trip enjoyable. There are several good trailer break controllers out there as well. A good one will really aid you in slowing down your rig safely.

On my 4Runner I have pulled 7K without issue. Not something you want to do daily but it did the job just fine. I also have a one ton diesel and well that is in a whole nother class of what it can do.

Get a break controller and a weight distrubution hitch and see how it goes. From there you will be able to quickly gauge what you need to do about your gearing.

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Gentlemen thanks very much for the advice, solid and well put. Much appreciated & will def look into diff gearing or even 3/4-1 ton axles w diff gearing as well.

Thanks again for input/advice

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Depending on the year of truck there should be a tag on the door jamb of the truck with the GVWR. The GVWR of my ’78 SWB is 6200 lbs. but the truck actually weighs 7,700 lbs. dry before loading the camper with supplies for a trip, fuel tanks, water tanks, etc. It usually weighs just over 8,100 lbs. when loaded for a trip. Yeah, that is heavy and actually above its posted GVWR rating but all the items that limited the original GVWR have been replaced with 1 ton bits. There is nothing left of the original ½ it was other than the frame, and I am not worried about the frame unles the weight ever got closer to 10,000 lbs. Everything else on it now is 1 ton (springs, axles, brakes, brake boost, trans, tcase, shafts, engine, etc). I doubt johnny law will care about any of that if I ever get into a situation where they would weigh it and compare the weight to the posted GVWR on the door jamb but I am not worried that will ever happen either. Even with it being a SWB it is stronger and feels just as stable on the road as my Silverado HD. It flies down the highway just like a modern truck and takes to the trails like a mountain goat.

Funny, almost 20 years ago I was in the boat you are now. I wanted a square body style stepside to build for trail riding and camping. I couldn’t ever find a stepside that I liked so I settled on a fleetside and so glad I did. Just not enough cargo room in a stepside although they look so sweet! As with any toy, each year you find yourself doing improvements to help it go better, stop better, be more comfortable and just all around do everything better then by the time you are done you will find there is nothing left of the little ½ ton truck it started life as. But in the end it is still a better truck than most new ones. Old GM trucks are easy to come by and one of the easiest platforms around to restore, modify and modernize with late model powertrains. You can’t say that for old Fords or Dodges. Old Fords and Dodges were always throw-a-ways just like they still are today (not so much for Dodge/Rams these days though). You just don’t see volume of them on the road like you see old GM trucks.

This is my 18 years of project progress. Started as a ½ ton with a small block 400, TH350 and full-time 203 gas eating transfercase that could never pull more than single digit fuel numbers let along pull a greasy string out of a Coke bottle. Now it has 4 times the power, 10 times more capable off-road and gets 10 – 13 MPG. Same fuel economy my Silverado HD gets or what a new Power Wagon would get.
8611008958_fd0b5a8c10_c.jpg

With a 425 HP 8.1L, 4:56 cogs, 35” tires and a camper on the back it still flies down the interstate nice and stable just like a new truck and still pulls down 11 MPG. I’ve never towed anything with it though but I wouldn’t imaging a small popup tent trailer being a problem. My copilot snapped this picture of the GPS speedo as we were running to Death Valley last spring
8583911755_234c08eace_c.jpg

If you end up settling on a SWB fleetside I have a nice topper that is practically brand new that needs a home. The price is flexable. I just need to get it out of my garage! Add here.
4224473486_bb97fddc71_b.jpg

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Larry,
Thanks again for the detailed thread very much appreciated & I love everything about your truck. If I do get a swb fleetside i'll let you know and see if you still have the topper. Current truck still has to get sent to sask to free up $$ & driveway space though so we'll see. Thanks again

Shaun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal