Toyota iQ

haven

Expedition Leader
Inspired by the success of the Smart car in Europe, Toyota has been working on a small car for urban transportation. They call it the iQ. (Please, no jokes about "small iQ," OK?)

ToyotaiQ.jpg

The overall length of the vehicle is only 3 meters (9.8 feet). Even with this diminutive size, the iQ has more room inside than a two door Yaris. Toyota is aiming for 100 mpg from a small diesel engine in the iQ, and maybe 60 mpg from a gasoline engine.

The very short overhangs of the iQ have me thinking Toyota could create a small 4x4 runabout version. Trim the bumper covers to provide more approach and departure clearance, raise the suspension, and put in a simple way to drive the rear wheels. The Suzuki Samurai of the 1980's is more than 18 inches longer.

Heck, even leave it front wheel drive. I took my 1986 Honda Civic Wagon, with its 5 inches of ground clearance and front wheel drive, down all sorts of two track trails and up snowed-in ski area access roads. It worked because of the vehicle's light weight and the driver's careful wheel placement.

The Fiat Panda 4x4 has a big following in Europe. I think the 4x4 iQ would be very appealing. Market the 4x4 as a Scion, and baby-boomers will buy it as a ski cabin runabout.

Chip Haven

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
That would be a cheap DD. I'd hate to be in it when the lifted quad-cab rear ends ya though. :Wow1:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Interesting...

I like the looks of it, and 100 mpg would be great.
Although, with all the logging trucks around here it would be a little scary to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3