Toyota truck bed trailer

Albin

Adventurer
I didn't see it: what did you do about the rear axle, just leave it intact? Does it harm the diff to have it turning while driving etc.?

Good job on the trailer!

Al

jsmarine

Adventurer
Nice, very nice.

I would add a camper, some carpet for insulation and have a bed to sleep off the ground.

Fridge and jerry can holder in front and wow!

For a fraction of the cost of an off-road trailer you have your trailer that can go just about everywhere your truck can go!:wings:

Thank you, and Im not sure if I will make it a sleeping trailer or not, having a trailer to throw stuff in is pretty nice. And I am trying to find a tool box to put on the tongue, and mount my jerry cans up thre too. Which by the way, just an FYI for anyone, I recently found out Blitz jerry can holders but do NOT fit the Scepter MFC's.

Last edited:

jsmarine

Adventurer
I didn't see it: what did you do about the rear axle, just leave it intact? Does it harm the diff to have it turning while driving etc.?

Good job on the trailer!

Al

Thanks for the compliments, and I just changed the diff fluid and left it intact, so yes it spins while driving. I dont think it will hurt anything.

rynosurf

Adventurer
It looks good. I would add a tounge jack and some stiff legs in the rear so you can drop it and be able to get in and out of it or sit on the tailgate without the tounge lifting on you.

97tjguzzy

Explorer
put a pully on it and make a bracket for an alternator and you could charge your trailer battery while your traveling

jsmarine

Adventurer
put a pulley on it and make a bracket for an alternator and you could charge your trailer battery while your traveling

Thats exactly what Mr. Leary had in mind, well at least one of his ideas. :sombrero:

These types of discussions really are why I am on online forums, just a wealth of knowledge and bouncing ideas off each other! I would have never thought of doing anything with that axle!

jsmarine

Adventurer
It looks good. I would add a tongue jack and some stiff legs in the rear so you can drop it and be able to get in and out of it or sit on the tailgate without the tongue lifting on you.

Already got a tongue jack on it, and the rear legs sound like a good idea too! Thanks!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Already got a tongue jack on it, and the rear legs sound like a good idea too! Thanks!

I really like my trailer stabilizer from AT.

You can also use that spare tire area and winch to carry extra fuel, water, dry bags, or even a spare tire! :sombrero:

I have not found any suitable electric motors yet, although I did find a suitable pulse actuator...

I did find a DIY electric car forum, but have not poked around there yet.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
Nice Job. I have read through this post several times while researching truck bed trailers. I just started a thread about a trailer I found near here that looks similar to how yours started life.
If I buy it, I will be using your build as one of my guides. Thanks for posting up.

jeeper92

Adventurer
could ya post up some infor about the paint job? Im looking to paint mine and not sure what to do............little help?

jsmarine

Adventurer
Could ya post up some info about the paint job? I'm looking to paint mine and not sure what to do............little help?

I am not a paint pro, but I just sanded the bed and painted it with Rustoleoum gloss black paint, using both a rattle can and paint brush. Pretty simple and nothing fancy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77