Toyota Van?

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I was just up in Jackson Hole for a week and saw more 4WD versions of these then I have seen probably in my whole life... Very cool...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Cackalak Han said:
Does he drive a blue-ish van with a RTT and A/T tires? I saw one on Ft. Union and 13th. Looked pretty cool.

Yup, I see it a couple times of week lately. Always on 13th east between Ft. Union and 106th. Skinny ~30yr old driving, mtn bike INSIDE the rig and a Eazi-Awn RTT up top. I'd love to chat with him :D

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
slosurfer said:
Calamari, it will only have 205,000 by the time I get it home ( I say "only", because you should see the mileage they get out of these things).

Ours had like 250k when we sold it to the gardener who drove it at least 100k more. It was 2wd or I would have taken of my parents hands.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
slosurfer said:
It has those annoying automatic hubs, but the cool thing is that a set of aisin manual hubs from a 86-95 IFS truck or 4runner will bolt right on, you just need the two big 54mm nuts and the key washers. So, I'll be on the lookout for a set from someone who has gone SAS.
You can still get the hardware from Toyota. You need per side two lock nuts, one thrust washer, one star washer, along with the hub and face gaskets and hubs themselves. Should be about $20 for all of the gaskets, nuts and washers. A set of used Aisin IFS hubs ought to be like $25.

cruiseroutfit

I've got all the spindle parts you will need :D Grab a set of IFS hubs and your golden. Congrats on the purchase :cool:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Calamari, that's good to know as I hope to get a lot of good use out of this vehicle.

DaveInDenver said:
A set of used Aisin IFS hubs ought to be like $25.

Dude! Where are you getting your hubs?!!! When I got them for my 4runner, I got a great deal at $50 a set. The local j-yard wanted to charge me $75 a piece, needless to say, I told them to "shove it"!

Cruiseroutfit, thanks I'll keep that in mind once I get a set. First I need to get her home and see what all I need to do to make her a great work vehicle.

sami

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Yup, I see it a couple times of week lately. Always on 13th east between Ft. Union and 106th. Skinny ~30yr old driving, mtn bike INSIDE the rig and a Eazi-Awn RTT up top. I'd love to chat with him :D

I happened to see the van in question yesterday on I-15. I was headed south, to cruiseroufit's, and the van was headed north.

crazy...

DaveInDenver

slosurfer said:
Dude! Where are you getting your hubs?!!! When I got them for my 4runner, I got a great deal at $50 a set. The local j-yard wanted to charge me $75 a piece, needless to say, I told them to "shove it"!
OK, I'll let you in on the secret. Watch for guys doing SAS. You can get whole IFS front ends for a 12 pack if you hit the right person and people are willing to take next to nothing if you come and haul away the extra A-arm, brackets, steering linkages and whatever else they aren't gonna use on the their solid axle. They usually just want the steering box and sometimes the calipers. You can end up with tons of tie rod ends, hubs, rotors, idler arms, CV axles and stuff if you want. Junkyards are getting this stuff at this cost and marking it up a ton because they know Toyota wants $300 for a pair of Aisin hubs and so $75 looks like a bargain. You are also paying for the convenience, sometimes you happen on an SAS job and sometimes you don't.

Last edited:

slosurfer

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
OK, I'll let you in on the secret. Watch for guys doing SAS. You can get whole IFS front ends for a 12 pack if you hit the right person and people are willing to take next to nothing if you come and haul away the extra A-arm, brackets, steering linkages and whatever else they aren't gonna use on the their solid axle. They usually just want the steering box and sometimes the calipers. You can end up with tons of tie rod ends, hubs, rotors, idler arms, CV axles and stuff if you want. Junkyards are getting this stuff at this cost and marking it up a ton because they know Toyota wants $300 for a pair of Aisin hubs and so $75 looks like a bargain. You are also paying for the convenience, sometimes you happen on an SAS job and sometimes you don't.

No secret, that's how I scored a set for 50. I guess you can still get lucky, but now everyone doing an sas knows they can get good money for their ifs hubs, because all the guys with 4runner's and ADD want to swap to manual once they lift. The cheapest I've seen in the past couple of weeks was 70 shipped from someone doing an sas and I've been searching all the boards.

Sometimes you might get lucky with something on craigslist, but it's ahard one to search specifically for, you kind of just have to stumble upon them.

DaveInDenver

Shrug, dunno what to say. Guess word of mouth through the club, dropping off 6 packs to the shops and drinking beers with the right people helps. Craigslist, eBay and all that have too much competition to get deals anymore. All these parts seem to move through certain circles. I've received and given away probably 4 sets of factory rims in the past year. Just comes in cycles I suppose. I'd say $50 for a set of IFS hubs is fair, nothing wrong with that price. There's at least one set on the Denver Craigslist for $60 right now.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Another issue with the hubs is the new Longfield inner gears. You can now use your IFS hubs on a solid-axle (76-97' where applicable) by utilizing his gears. I used to be able to score them all the time from folks ditching IFS or parting out IFS trucks, all I was using them for were the dial mechnism... not anymore, they are actually worth something :D

Turdle

slosurfer said:
I'm actually flying to CO next week to pick up one of these vans to use for work (and play :jump: ). It is a '89 4wd Manual. I wanted to make sure I got the manual since it has the 4hi and 4lo, while the automatic just has the 4hi (although you can swap in the transfercase from a manual).

Because of gas prices, I have been cutting way back on driving my 89 F250 except for hauling tile/sand/cement etc.... and have been driving my 4runner which gets slightly better gas mileage but not great for hauling tools/supplies/ etc... The van will get the gas mileage of the 4runner and F250 combined and has plenty of room to haul my tools. I'll still use the F250 for those heavy loads and sand. I also didn't like how I was piling on the miles on the 4runner.

vanna7.jpg

Congrats on the Van. Love mine.

One concern from what you typed. You mention a manual trans and auto hubs. The Manuals came with Manual hubs from the factory. So unless some real wierd stuff has been done I suggest you do a double check on that.

Hope it is all that you want. They are great.

Calvin

slosurfer

Adventurer
Turdle said:
Congrats on the Van. Love mine.

One concern from what you typed. You mention a manual trans and auto hubs. The Manuals came with Manual hubs from the factory. So unless some real wierd stuff has been done I suggest you do a double check on that.

Hope it is all that you want. They are great.

Calvin

Thanks, I've seen the youtube vids of your van! I too thought that the manuals only came with manual hubs, but I have seen others say that they have the automatic hubs with manual tranny. This seems to imply that some did come equipped that way:
http://www.yotavans.org/community/tips/real_manual.html#lockinghubs

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they are manual, but it definately looks like they are the automatic hubs in the pics.

slosurfer

Adventurer
Thanks Jack! I'm sure he'll dig it since he can get in and out of it on his own and most the time I'll have all the rear seats out. If I make the rear "work proof", it should be darn near "kid proof".:rolleyes:

I can't wait to fly out and get her.:punk03:

Turdle

slosurfer said:
Thanks, I've seen the youtube vids of your van! I too thought that the manuals only came with manual hubs, but I have seen others say that they have the automatic hubs with manual tranny. This seems to imply that some did come equipped that way:
http://www.yotavans.org/community/tips/real_manual.html#lockinghubs

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they are manual, but it definately looks like they are the automatic hubs in the pics.

That is a good site. Here is hoping that it is wrong.

You are up here in the Portland area? For some reason I seem to recall something that makes me think that but I have no clue why now.

There is a guy up in WA that has done a fery nice rear bumper/tire carrier http://www.toyotavans.net:81/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579

Look forward to seeing what you do with that Van. Insperation for me.

Calvin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater