ToyRyd's M416 Build

ToyRyd04

Prerunner Converter
ToyRyd04’s M416 Trailer Build

After months of reading and learning, then searching, I finally stumbled on one for sale at Ebay. Only problem was…it was in Ohio, a few states away.

So the journey began as I brought my friend Kyle with me since I would need a hand loading and he had a trailer to haul the M416 in.
On our way back from the weekend road trip in the December snow.

Once I got the M416 back home and power washed most of the road salt and dirt off.

After looking over everything I figured it would just be easier and cheaper to rent a sandblaster and take the M416 down to bare metal. This took no time at all, I rented the compressor for 2 hours and bought (8) 100LB bags of black beauty sand blasting material.

Living in Maryland has a big downfall…..Rust, so a special zinc primer was sprayed to coat and prevent everything from rusting from now on.

A few weeks went by just having the trailer sit as it was. All the while I was deciding where to go from there and what was next to save up for and buy.
Next thing was the wheels to match the tow vehicle.

After weighing the options for either keeping the axle and getting hub spaces/adapters or ditching it and going with a custom built Dexter axle, I placed an order.
After 3 weeks it was dropped off and ready to replace the old factory axle.
The new axle specs:
Hub to hub – 57.0”
Spring Center – 39.25”
Capacity – 3500 lbs
Bolt pattern 6 on 5 ½ (Toyota)
Electric Brakes – 10 x 2 ¼
Manual Parking Brake – Integrated
Maintenance – E-Z Lube
Mounting – Spring over axle

Once the axle came in, that got the ball rolling again on the M416.
Out with the old axle and in with the new Dexter spring over.

Mounted the wheels with the old 33” MTZ rollers for now and started on the back panel replacement.

ToyRyd04

Prerunner Converter
Also replaced the small landing foot with a fold up hydraulic side crank jack that still utilizes the factory swing up position.

Then again the project slowed down for another few weeks because the next few items were very expensive.
Tepui Autana Roof Top Tent w/ Annex

Another order came in that weekend as well, All the LED lights, trailer brake controller, 7pin wiring, and other electrical accessories. Thank you Etrailer.com
So began cutting the oval holes for all the lights.
Test fitting.

Went and picked up the Harbor Freight tongue box. This thing really does fit the M416 perfectly.

Another view of the Brake, turn, and reverse lights

Upgraded to 35” X-terrains and trimmed the fenders at the ends to fit them.

Then started building the lid.

Working on spacing out the 4 hinges for the lid.

Took a quick break and welded in a supporting cross member for the rear stabilizers.

ToyRyd04

Prerunner Converter
Back to the Lid.

Started on the sheet metal to skin the lid.

Quick peek of what the design looks like.

Working on welding the top and side sections.

What it looks like from the top.

Painted the lid, mounted the hinges, latches, roof rack, lid handles, and tent.

Opening the RTT and Annex for the first time.

Setup in the backyard to get an idea of how it will layout.

The following week I towed it along on a shakedown camping run. Few adjustments were made but everything working as it should.

ToyRyd04

Prerunner Converter
Now that everything is setup up to work as it should. It’s time for paint and bed liner.

After paint.

This brings it up to date for the most part. Also have a friend who is just starting out on a M416, Dylan, is working on restoring it over the fall/winter this year. This gives you an idea of the size of the trailer over stock form.

Inside the tongue box.

Then a few pics of the matching rock lights and markers.

Tacoma and M416 at night.

FredB

Observer
Too funny. Same trailer, same tent, same tongue box, same switch set up for the electronics, only on the opposite side of the box. :)

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Looks great! I have the same brake and axle set up. Have you tackled the parking brake cable yet? I sent pics and an email to a place that makes e brake cables but no response yet. I'm hoping to get new cables rather than try to figure out how to use the original M416 cable.

Also, which rear stabilizers are you using? How well do they work? I need to get those for mine also. What is the measurement from floor to bottom of trailer where your stabilizers attach? Mine is 22".

Thanks for any info,

ToyRyd04

Prerunner Converter
Thanks for all the compliments guys, came together pretty quick in a matter of a few months. (Feb-Apr.) I've seen a few things that are key to these trailers so I am not surprised at all to see other guys building with the same stuff. You get what you pay for!
As for the extra battery - it powers the rock lights, misc 12 volt power, runs the 110v converter. The Battery charges off just the 7 pin right now, however a solar panel setup is in the near future to help run the fridge/freezer setup.
VDBAZFJ - Everything is setup and working as it should, I was able to use the factory handbrake setup and cables to integrate it with the new Dexter axle setup. As for the stabilizers they work great. I am running the biggest 31" model as the frame height of the trailer is at 28". These stabilizers come with a manual crank that takes no time at all to deploy, however an electric 12v impact or something similar could tackle the job just a bit quicker.

Any other questions or certain pictures you would like to see feel free to ask.

-Greg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Thanks for all the compliments guys, came together pretty quick in a matter of a few months. (Feb-Apr.) I've seen a few things that are key to these trailers so I am not surprised at all to see other guys building with the same stuff. You get what you pay for!
As for the extra battery - it powers the rock lights, misc 12 volt power, runs the 110v converter. The Battery charges off just the 7 pin right now, however a solar panel setup is in the near future to help run the fridge/freezer setup.
VDBAZFJ - Everything is setup and working as it should, I was able to use the factory handbrake setup and cables to integrate it with the new Dexter axle setup. As for the stabilizers they work great. I am running the biggest 31" model as the frame height of the trailer is at 28". These stabilizers come with a manual crank that takes no time at all to deploy, however an electric 12v impact or something similar could tackle the job just a bit quicker.

Any other questions or certain pictures you would like to see feel free to ask.

-Greg

Dang!! I have been working on mine for almost 3 years. Glad to see someone much quicker than I am at these.

Looks great.

ToyRyd04

Prerunner Converter
Thanks, forgot about registering in the earlier months, really wanted to get it in there this year an open the rtt in the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk