Track length

wasnt me

I know the length should match the vehicles wheel base but confused on weather to measure from the rear wheel to trailer wheel or the axis point where the trailer hooks up to the vehicle.
Hope this makes since. Ordering steel next week.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I didn't respond to this earlier waiting to see if someone else knew about your track length question but apparently not.
I'm not familiar with any rule of thumb for matching track length. I am aware that track width can make a big difference in a trailer that you're going to take off pavement.
Ideally, you'd like the trailer tires to follow approximately in the path of the tow vehicle's tires. Several reasons for that.
If you're towing in sand or snow, the trailer tires following in the same ruts requires less work to pull. If you're towing through rough terrain, its easier to find the right line when you're looking for the same line for both the tow vehicle and the trailer.
Hopefully that helps or maybe I've completely missed what you're asking....

wasnt me

Thanks 4x4x4
I have the track width set to my landcruiser and fjc specs @ 63.5''.
I'm looking for the optimal length from the trailer axle/wheels to the tongue coupler.
I want it to be stable on the freeway and track perfectly behind the landcruiser.
The landcruisers wheel base is 112'' and the fjc is 106'' for reference.
Trailer is currently 68'' cl of axle to the end of the coupler.

jwiereng

I was playing with Lego recently to help me understand trailer tracking.

I appears to me that

if the distance from the truck's rear axle to the hitch is the same as the distance from the hitch to the trailer's axle and the track width is the same on the truck and trailer

Then the trailer wheels will always follow the same tracks as the rear wheels of the truck while going forward.

Last edited:

gravelhack

Heavy Hauler
Here in loggin country, our log trucks use stingers to "steer" the trailer. Its amazing to see places these guys can get around. Check your tongue weight, maybe a little longer stinger might be the answer. It certainly will lessen the track off distance. stinger04.jpg

My service bed trailer is 12 feet from ball to center of axle. It tows very nice and backs up very predictably, even behind our Yukon that is 4 feet from rear axle to hitch mounted ball, so if my math is correct axle to axle is 16 feet and that seems to be very long but my converted pickup bed trailer is much less, I haven't measured it yet but it is tolerable since it is the same width and height as a full size truck bed so you can see instantly when it starts to go awry.

I couldn't find any ideal ball to axle length information before I built the pickup bed trailer, but when jack knifed it hits the tow vehicle well before it goes 90*, but in truth I will either power through the jack knife or disconnect the trailer, maneuver the 18 point turn, then reconnect the trailer. I went short with this trailer because I wanted it close and it has minimal tounge weight, so I can just man handle it by hand if needed.

wasnt me

All good info thanks.
I'm going to make it adjustable with 2.5x2.5x.25 wall tubing so I fine tune the length.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven