Tractor Supply Co. winch rope?

colorado matt

Adventurer
I think a bit more research may be needed ..... here are just a few things off the top of my head .... do not rely just on load .... that may be a dead lift load rating .... which it is a good rating but if it is an open weave rope it will collect sand and grit and wear the rope down quickly ..... we do not know the heat resistacne of the rope and winches with certain braking systems create a lot of heat in the drum ... quickly compromising the rope ..... some weaves are great until you start bending them ( over fairleads and snatch blocks ) again this makes the rope quite weak and quite fast ..... might seem like a good deal at first ... and it may be great if you use your winch once a year ..... but it might not ... just my .02 ..... Matt

and no where in that ad is the word winch used ... 90 day warranty also makes me skeptical .... and if you are winching around rocks ... well .. you now ... Matt

Bullseye240

Adventurer
cable of death in the winch..

Why does everyone think steel cable automatically equates to deadly? Properly maintained steel cable will last for years without any more danger than synthetic. Steel doesn't degrade in sunlight and will take dragging through the mud and grit better than synthetic and as long as you are careful, which you should be anyway, steel is just as safe as synthetic. And before you ask, I have a lifetime of experience with steel cable. My father owned a towing service and I have seen failures and never seen anyone cut in half by a steel cable because if you're smart you stay out of the danger area as much as possible. In my time in the Navy I have watched fully loaded F15's and FA18's land on aircraft carriers using steel cable in the arresting gear. Can it happen, yes, which is why you stay out of the danger area. Something you should do with any recovery method.

ElkinsEric

Observer
I used to help my uncle log during the summers, pulling skidder cable. I've seen a cable snap and knock the sidewalk out of a skidder tire. Granted that's not an apples to apples comparison but it still makes you think, and leery.

My children wheel with me and sometimes the cable does come out. I ALWAYS have them stand out of harms way, but there are always freak occurrences...

Just looking for my options for winch rope. I just don't know if any rope is durable enough for around here, and the type of winching I do.

Thanks for the replies and the diameter measurement kinda threw me off too. ;)

crawler07

I had bought an older used smittybuilt h2o winch with a cable and I have been wanting to convert it to rope, but the price of a rope will put me to the price of a new winch just about. I paid $100.00 for the winch and all the rope im finding is over $200.00, I would have over $300.00 after buying a fairlead. A new winch with rope is around $400.00 that's what I get for thinking I was getting a deal lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad