Trade Disoc for LR3

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Just got offered a trade on my TDI Disco for an 2007 LR3. What do you guys think? I'm not sure if I would keep the LR3 as we have one and I don't think I could afford 2 but maybe take the newer LR3 and trade it on a Transit Van.
What do you guys think?

Ray_G

Explorer
That is tough; my experience in being D1-less has not been pleasant. The times when I haven't had one I regretted getting rid of her and was always looking for the next one. Coyote basically is ver 3.0 for me and represents much of what I learned over the previous vehicles and having had to sell my first (wasn't working, was deploying to Iraq, didn't have time) and junk my 2nd (cost to fix engine wasn't worth it compared to the option of getting the current Coyote, esp since I was coming off a deployment after she'd sat-stricken-for 9 months).

My point is that your TDI Disco is rather rare. LR3's are not. Don't get me wrong, if you need a better family hauler and the transit makes sense, then by all means don't let affinity for the older souls of a D1 get in the way of logic.

I just would challenge you to think about if you'd spend the next few years wishing you hadn't gotten rid of the unique truck you had (and ask yourself why someone is willing to trade you their capable, reliable, comfortable newer Rover for yours...)
r-
Ray

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That's a lot of what I'm wondering about Ray. I love my truck and had really decided to not sell even with my wife wanting me to get something newer. Then today I got a text asking if I would think about the trade and it got me thinking. If I go a Transit it would be to build the rear out into a camper for climbing trips. It's just the three of us so it's not like I need an eleven seater :)

PS guys name is Alex Maynard says he wheels a lot in the Kentucky West Verginia area. Ever meet him?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well the Goal with this would not be to keep the LR3. My wife has one already and it's a nice truck but I hate keeping up on the Maintenance on it, so there is no way I would ever want to have to.
In the End I would want to work in to a Transit van with a camper package. How ever I can see how the 5-8k the truck would get in trade would not be worth it so I would want to sell it for sure. I'm going to look at his pics, but I have a feeling I will pass.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I read the posts and understand the D1 is rare. I sold my 73 Pinzgauer, which was in excellent shape and bought a 07 LR3. Miss the pinz but enjoy the LR.
I would certainly be prone to keep the D1 if you can repair and enjoy it. As the man says LR3 vehicles are not rare.
It is a tough choice...I would save the trouble and go straight to the van....which you may be prone to do as well.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I know I gave you a hard time for what you are asking for the Disco, but personally I think you'd be nuts to off it. If you know it, it's well sorted, and serves the intended purpose (even if that is to be cool), I'd keep it. I debated getting another RRS in addition to my wife's but after thinking about, it's kinda silly to have 2 of the same vehicle in circulation. I'm adding a Disco to the Jeep as it wil be a bit of a mall crawler (kids, dogs, etc) and the Jeep is for off road.

So then the question begs, what are you trying to accomplish? What gap are you trying to fill? If you are just bored with the Disco, get a new farkle for it. Lots cheaper and easier.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
End Goal would be a Ford Transit Camper. I still love the Disco I just cant get anyone to go anywhere with me in it.
ERnugget1.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
If you are looking to get out of your D1 anyway, see if the numbers make sense. The LR3 will be easier to sell later on vs. the D1.

Agree with the trade in on an LR3 is horrid. Private party seems to still be decent. However the market for used LR3s seem to be soft. I've seen the same trucks for sale around here for months on end.

Also make sure the LR3 isn't a dud. V8, good package, no salvage title, not going to fall apart 30 minutes later, etc.

Exploder
Check the coolant tee on top of the engine before you drive it. They will literally fall apart and pee coolant all over the place. A 3/8" barbed brass double-ender can take its place.

4843728-23.jpg

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well again I would never keep the LR3. I have one and don't want another. It would only be a way to get into a Transit. If I keep the disco past the new year it's going to get a respray because the clear coat just started peeling off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven