Trailer cover

AlexJet

Explorer
I'm finishing building an off-road trailer and looking for a cover as I don't have a lid for this time. I might build it sometime in the future, but so far I need a cover.
1. What best material will be to use for it? I thought bout "tarpaulin" or synthetic "kapron".
2. I 'm having trouble finding some material or covers which I can modify. I did find allot of companies in Britain, Australia and New Zeland, but so far nothing for Canada or US. Any ideas for local ones?

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
A lot of the on-line stores that sell fabrics (canvas, sunbrella, tarps, etc.) will make a "box" out of any of the fabrics they sell. That would be my suggestion, and what I'm going to do if my trailer has to come out of the garage. Use the search feature here to find a couple of the past threads... The online sites have been brought up a couple times in the last months..

Don

-

Waytec

Adventurer
You can also check online for a used truck bed cover that is close in size and then modify to make it work.

AlexJet

Explorer
I can't find any local with "tarpaulin". Synthetic tarps which are sold here are too flexible and stretching way too far (good for canvas on tent, but not trailer).

ALF

Observer
m101 top

I have a top that came with my canadian m101 and it is awesome. Tied down appropriately it has never leaked, deformed or caused any issues.

I weh there was a source for this material as I would buy some to cover the cage going on my trailer.

Alf

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
There is a fabric available that is, essentially, something like Sunbrella that has had vinyl pressure impregnated into it. It is supple and water proof, but not very stretchable. My local boat canvas guy plans to use it to make the cover for the tent on my TrailBlazer.

ALF

Observer
There is a fabric available that is, essentially, something like Sunbrella that has had vinyl pressure impregnated into it. It is supple and water proof, but not very stretchable. My local boat canvas guy plans to use it to make the cover for the tent on my TrailBlazer.

Can you get me a brand name of the fabric?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Alf

AlexJet

Explorer

Not stretchy is good and vinyl layer is also a good point. I'd also like to find more on it.

DAMAGE_ctrl

Truxedo

I have a M416 trailer I am building, and I will be going with a Truxedo cover that I have purchased second hand. they are made from the same material as the semi truck covers, so they are user frendly even in the winter...I am using a Ford Ranger cover.....They go for anywhere from 80.00 to 200.00 used, but seal and don't leak. I have already had 2 trucks with Truxedo's, and never had an issue....http://www.truxedo.com/

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Can you get me a brand name of the fabric?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Alf

Not stretchy is good and vinyl layer is also a good point. I'd also like to find more on it.
Sorry, if he told me what it was called I've long since forgotten. He did say that it was fairly commonly used in the marine canvas trade. The sample that he gave me (MIA) was light gray in color and I have the impression that the available color range isn't great. Mastercraft uses something very much like it (if not the same) for their tool bags and pouches.

pixeldzn

Observer
Do you live anwhere near an area where boating is popular? I took my small trailer to a boat canvas shop and they made me a nice snap on cover for less than $100.

AlexJet

Explorer
Do you live anwhere near an area where boating is popular? I took my small trailer to a boat canvas shop and they made me a nice snap on cover for less than $100.

Interesting... Canada has boating season for 4-5 month and it's already finished...

4x4v8

Observer
I have a trailer that I want to build a cover for as well. I talked to a guy that had made a trailer and he said that they made a metal frame and had a boat cover made for it. Let me know when you find a place. I would like to take it to the same place. Are you going to make a metal frame for it? or wood?

How about a truck tarp?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal